Awesome things about the 458 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Awesome things about the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Bigfisher89. Congrats! I know you will love it! 430's are awesome, but man there's just something about the 458!

2. QuickPilota

QuickPilota Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    usa
    Full Name:
    Meyers Robert DeLaney
    My associates have recommended that I have a clear wrap on the front of my 458 spider. What are your thoughts or suggestions?

3. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I just purchased one and it's on it's way here now. It's going in for full PPF (clear bra) a few days after it arrives. I've done PPF to several of my cars, and it helps to keep it pristine and easier to clean. My 6yo daily driver truck has zero rock chips thanks to PPF.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A lot depends if you tailgate on the highway and/or if you plan to track it at all.

Being rather low to the ground, the front end of the 458 (and most all low cars) tends to be subject to small rock impacts, due to small rocks being thrown up by the cars ahead of you. Myself, I usually never tailgate people on the road, especially on the highway. With my 458, I never had any film on the front and never had much issue with rock chips. However, 95% of the time, I also left quite a bit of distance between me and the person ahead of me on the road when traveling at any speed (usually 4 second distance when going over 65 MPH on the highway). Doing this drastically cuts down on small rock impacts.

Now, if you are the kind of driver who is always driving right on the heels of the car ahead of you, then PPF is probably not a bad idea. So is windshield glass insurance. If you are going to track the car, then I would say it's definitely a good idea to have some sort of protective film on all the exposed front areas and probably also the wheel well arches and the mirrors, etc.

Ray

Rexcat458 likes this.
  5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    You can't control when a car or truck in a neighboring lanes throws up a rock, so I put PPF on all our cars, even the Mini. I did drive an M3 home from S. Carolina "naked" but I took almost all back roads. It took a little longer, but Tennessee and Mississippi have some great back roads so it was very enjoyable and I arrived at the shop for a wrap with zero chips. Just had to clean off a few bugs along the way.