B-17 and P-63 lost at Dallas CAF show | FerrariChat

B-17 and P-63 lost at Dallas CAF show

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GrigioGuy, Nov 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Midair collision, reports and photos indicate no survivors. Video is disturbing.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

3. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Really sad to see. My condolences to all sides of accident. Wonder what happened in the P63

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he was banked hard to left, maybe B-17 was in his blind spot "below" wings?

Il Steeg, ChipG and Boomhauer like this.
  5. MichaelP88

MichaelP88 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    David
    Blind spot and bad turning radius would be my guess.

Il Steeg likes this.
  6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Ryan S. likes this.
  8. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    blind spot got him, so does this make 1 flying b-17 left?

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The P-63 has a bubble type of canopy and the view of the B-17 was above and to the left of the P-63 pilot. His turn was too tight and closing on the B-17 instead of clearing it. As far as I can determine, it was a gross maneuvering error. A B-17 is a big airplane and the P-63 pilot knew where it was. Why make a close , turning pass like that?. Inexcusable.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think you're right Bob. He just made a bad turn at too high a closing speed and misjudged his flight path in the turn.

11. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Hot Dog'n it killed everyone.
    And I would venture to guess the NTSB investigation will make the same call after the facts come in.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you look at this angle, I believe he didn't see the B17 at the point of impact. But he should have clearly seen it as he was approaching it. Its hard to tell but it looks like he was dropping in altitude.

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bad day.
    RIP
    Usually a bad call results in a bit of 'pucker factor' followed by a sigh of relief then, usually, a chewing out. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of those times.
    My condolences to all involved, including the machines.
    Sincerely,
    Art S.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If you look at the angle he is banked left "slipping" outside into the B-17. If you drew a line from the pilots eyes to the B-17 it would be down a little forward of his feet.

Nurburgringer likes this.
  15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I suspect you are right - although it would initially seem unlikely due to the canopy visibility, because of the P-63's blind spot, your explanation would be the simplest and thus the likely explanation of why the P-63 didn't make further changes in the last seconds.

My understanding is the fighters and bombers were flying two separate patterns, which would suggest the P-63 was out of position. The P-63's pilot might have been going wide (off course) and saw the B-17, realized his mistake and pulled in tight and up to get back on course (putting the B-17 in the P-63's blind spot) the inputs weren't aggressive enough causing the P-63 to turn into the B-17 rather than avoiding. If so, a series of bad calls.

Either way; its all speculation at this point.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Truly horrible.

rob lay and Boomhauer like this.
  17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that you are correct , Rob. At first it appeared to me that the P-63 hit the lower fuselage but after exercising some pauses and closer looks in the video, it appears that he hit the upper fuselage. It doesn't matter really because he knew that the B-17 was there and he came in hot , fast, and obviously out of position, and in a tight turn toward the B-17 . I don't understand that part if it was, as they said, "It was a well rehearsed show." Off hand right now I can think of six airplanes that the CAF has destroyed, maybe more.
    Seeing the severed tail section of the B-17 immediately brought back memories of my squadron mate, Joe Frank Jones, whose airplane, "Mr. Lucky" was cut in half at the same spot as the "Texas Raider" and Joe Jones, the tail gunner, had to ride it down 13,000 ft. and survived.
    I won't count all the airshows that I have flown in but the big Bicentennial air show at Abottsford had a huge flyby of airplanes from WW1, between wars, WW2, and after. We flew all at once in several concentric orbits, (race tracks) with the older and slower machines in the inner tracks and the bigger faster types in the outer tracks. The rules and instructions were carefully gone over at the morning pilot's meeting where spacing and timing was specified and emergency procedures were addressed. There were perhaps 25 to 30 airplanes involved. After assembly and circling the field three times , the landings took place with the little and old stuff in the infield grass and succeeding big stuff in line on the runway. There was not one glitch in the three days that we performed. If you deviated from your time and position , you were grounded. I don't know if the military could have done it any better.

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You might know this question Bob, but most likely the B-17 was on a wider pattern and the faster planes were on an inside pattern. Either or both were out of position.

20. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Bob and Rob, I have watched and re-watched the brief video of this event not fewer than fifty times and my take is very different. Bob wrote:

"It doesn't matter really because he knew that the B-17 was there and he came in hot , fast, and obviously out of position, and in a tight turn toward the B-17 . I don't understand that part if it was, as they said, It was a well rehearsed show."

Although we will never know unless the P-39 pilot left a note, but I believe that this was a deliberate suicide attack.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    another user mentioned that too. although possible, I think it is completely improbable and even crazy to mention. if you were trying to suicide attack, then you would have kept your visibility with your target.

BJK, Boomhauer and crinoid like this.