B-17 and P-63 lost at Dallas CAF show | Page 6 | FerrariChat

B-17 and P-63 lost at Dallas CAF show

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GrigioGuy, Nov 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I had the good fortune to sit in a P-39 for a short time and the view forward out of that airplane is very limited from what I recall was the gun sight. The windshield is small and surrounded by heavy frames. Above is the same, heavy frames forward and above. The sides are no different and made worse by the heavy door frame on the left bordered by heavy canopy frames around it. The cockpit was claustrophobic and cluttered and I would not have looked forward to engage in a dogfight with the airplane. When the Russians got their P-63's they used them for infantry support because it was better for ground attack than aerial combat. It was a heavy airplane, if I recall something close to 7000 lbs. I can't believe that I'm referring to something 78 years ago but I can still remember the smell of 135 and zinc chromate.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- A lot of Russian aces loved the P-39/P-63, but most of their engagements were at low altitude where the Allison worked well.

boxerman and Bob Parks like this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    VFR, cleared to over take an aircraft, yet never sees the aircraft, runs into said aircraft. Blame it on the airplane.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    put it this way, even if it was clear he was to be looking for that specific traffic to overtake, he would have had to deviate from the airboss plan to "look". Wings level, nose down, where would that course have taken him? what's the lesser of two evils? following the exact plan and instructions or making an individual decision in close proximity to a dozen other aircraft to deviate?

I have no personal experience, but I imagine airshow flying with an airboss and spotters with dozens of aircraft is more like IFR than VFR when it comes to following a plan and directions.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I found that out, Taz. Thanks

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My airplane was destroyed and three people were fatally injured when the guy flying my airplane climbed into a large formation ahead and under the nose of a larger biplane. The biplane pilot never saw him and the guy flying my airplane (a high wing monoplane) didn't see the biplane. The weather was severe clear VFR. In the following law suit , the judge ruled contributory negligence, both were wrong. Every airplane ever built has a blind spot or two that is a contributing factor in safely flying them. Any pilot ,regardless of the number of hours or impeccable and vast mental skills, can be trapped by the built-in Gremlins.

Hannibal308 likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Any aircraft visibility shortcomings don't matter if the conflicting flight paths are at different altitudes.
    >>> sorry to beat a dead horse, buuut ..... I like some of the quotes in this article.

NTSB: No altitude advice before Dallas deadly air show crash

https://www.fox4news.com/news/ntsb-no-altitude-advice-before-dallas-deadly-air-show-crash

"..... group of historic fighter planes was told to fly ahead of a formation of bombers without any prior plan for coordinating altitude."

"there were no altitude deconfliction briefed before the flight or while the airplanes were in the air."

".... they had an intersecting flight paths, and there was no provision made to say we will not be at the same altitude,"

"The main thing is to maintain separation and to know where all aircraft of the formation are," he said.
    "And if you don’t know where they are, then we have to have a deconfliction plan saying, ‘I’m going to 5,000 feet. I know they’re at 2,000, and we’ll sort this out.’

But this was a deconfliction plan that the NTSB said was never made before or during the show."

rob lay likes this.
  8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I mentioned this very thing in a previous post. These airplanes were on two eccentric arcs at the same altitude, the P-63 on the inside of the two with a bank angle and nose heading that hid the B-17 and allowed him to eventually to collide with it where the two arcs intersected. I may be all wet but after viewing all of the videos this is my impression. I'm no expert, just an interested old pilot. The NTSB will release its findings some day but they have already stated , there was no altitude assignment to separate the fighters and bombers. A sad chain of events from which we should learn..

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Interesting...go to 11:38

jcurry and BJK like this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    at 16:00 ...... OUCH!!! ...... tell us what you really think of the air boss. :eek:

TheMayor likes this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Perhaps this makes sense to someone.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

Nurburgringer and crinoid like this.
  14. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    In that recording it was said there was a single mission with a thousand bombers of which over 400 didn’t make it back .
    Wow .

16. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Surprising that apparently none of the pilots listening to the clearly dangerous instructions (fighters instructed to cross the bombers' path, on the inside of the turn, at same altitude) said f this I'm pulling out.

Rifledriver and jcurry like this.
  17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Or at least said out loud "Hey, wait a minute". Like they say, safety is everyone's business. The life you save may be your own.

BJK, Nurburgringer and rob lay like this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was trained as a pilot you have final say. Be willing to say **** it to ATC or tower and take control for your own safety. Instructor gave me example, he said if you want to land on the taxiway (maybe not same situation as Harrison Ford), then tell tower you’re going to land on the taxiway.

my only personal experience was cruising in the teens to Chicago IFR. We popped just a small build up, but coated me with ice. I had descended 3k before I even called ATC to tell them I was going lower. Maybe some other small cases communicating with ATC small deviances 10-20 degrees left right for pop ups and if they were busy I would just do it. There are various levels of fun with pop ups in a single, after level 6 they weren’t fun.

Texas Forever and jcurry like this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Part 1 - Engine Start of when I flew in the nose of the B-17 Flying Fortress 'Texas Raiders'. Unfortunately this is the one that was lost at Dallas Executive Airport last year including the lives of 5 in this airplane. :(

https://youtube.com/shorts/CxfQiNaJoZc?feature=share

GIOTTO, BJK and INRange like this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They really strain to take-off without the superchargers, even at light weight.

rob lay likes this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so did early B-17's not have superchargers or could they optionally not be used or not on the Texas Raiders?

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  24. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I believe they don’t run superchargers to reduce engine wear. It’s my understanding that they don’t fly at a very high altitude for xc either.

rob lay likes this.
  25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, It is a maintenance issue. They not only stress everything on the powerplant, but they are also high maintenance themselves.

rob lay likes this.