B-52s still at the ready | Page 3 | FerrariChat

B-52s still at the ready

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This triggered some other Zero Defects incidents like the calendar issued by the Zero Defects group that had 30 days in February. My favorite was a cartoon in "The Wizard Of ID" when Rodney, the knight, stood in front of the blacksmith's shop and complained that there was a defect in his armor. The blacksmith replied, " Shut the visor and nobody will see it!"

Bisonte likes this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And you can tell from the engine nacelles in the photo that it was an H model, so it would have had the shorter fin. I can understand why the taller fin of the earlier models might have been more susceptible to that sort of thing.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I bet those wings bent down on the pull-up and up on the push-over.

Wonder if there was an HF antenna in that vertical stabilizer that contributed to it coming apart? That is where the HF antenna was on the F-111 and we did have a couple of instances where water had gotten in there and frozen, resulting in the stab leading edge failing on a couple of aircraft.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm not sure about the array of antenna in the vertical fin. I know that there was HF, and Omni there but nothing else. I think that on the KC-135 there was a long vertical antenna of some kind but I can't remember what. I had lunch today with some of my old crew and indulged in a lengthy conversation about the latest 777 engine incident and they reaffirmed what I remembered about the engine installations. Comment, " We design the propulsion installation and associated structures to the worst engine failure scenarios." The engine mounts and strut connections are designed with shear pins that will fail when the engine vibrations or oscillations approach the point of damage to the airframe and will allow the engine to fall free of the airplane. I knew that the thrust link has shear pins that will allow the nacelle and strut to rotate upward in a wheels up landing so the engine assembly doesn't roll back under the wing to rupture the fuel cell. Of course, the airplane that you flew didn't have these problems but I'll bet that it had some others.