Back Home from Italy - Maranello | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Back Home from Italy - Maranello

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lawwdog, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Here is his plate in case anybody recognizes the car:

2. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I was there in the late 90s and you could see the track very well from the main street right thru town. Has is changed? We had a great view. It was down if I remember correctly about 200-300 yards from the front of the factory. Thanks.

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Mario - that was worth the wait.

I guess the Denver Boot (Florence Boot?) is still legal over there.

4. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Joe,

Thanks,did you try the video?

5. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've watched it several times with the speakers cranked - what a sound! I just wish the video was longer :)

6. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

Prugna 328,

You cannot see anything from the main street. It has been developed and most of the buildings or tree's block it. You can see the Ferrari f-1 building just down from the Cavallino Restaurant, but that is it.

Mario

7. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

Stokpro....

I felt like running on the track to get closer but my wife was laughing at me already. (In fact you can hear her on the video laughing!)

8. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

I have another short (10 second) video of another lap...sounds great too because there is approximately 4 loud down shifts. Send me a pm if you want it.

Mario

9. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    What a shame, we had a wonderful view back then. Got to see some cars testing and got a great view (so close it almost ran me over) of the 360 being developed. It was dressed up to look somthing like an F40. I dropped everything I had in my hands and started takin g pictures as fast as I could.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Great pics, video, and write up lawwdog - Thanks!

11. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    You are welcome..I have to say..I felt like an F-Chat inside edition spy reporter there.

Hey Rob...where is my pay check!!!!!

12. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    cool pics and video - thanks for sharing :)

13. krm

krm Rookie

Dec 4, 2003
    HK//US
    Mario,

Just recently saw this thread. I was there about two weeks ago as well, and starte doing a comprehensive write-up of the experience. Hopefully will have it posted next week with many pictures.

Thanks for your review!

Cheers,
    Karman

14. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i took this picture in october of an enzo getting washed at the same little car wash next door to the factory :)

15. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Does the Planet hotel have a secured parking?

I'm planning to organize a factory visit with two friend of mine. Our plan is to go overthere with our F-car ... and also back with the F-cars! Hence the security question. :)

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Lawwdog ,

Great report, thanks for sharing and for the video !
    I cant wait to go there !! This write up makes me want to have a Ferrari even more ( if thats possible :) ) !!

17. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was there last Summer on a very hot Sunday afternoon so the factory was shut and everything was really sleepy. I was impressed by how clean and tidy the little town is, Northern Italy can be a bit drab and run down for those that don't know it. The museum was great and the gift shop too, one excellent little thing was the F1 engine soundtrack that played every time someone entered the gift shop. I was expecting to see lots of visitors in the town with their own cars, but nothing, then just at the last minute as we were leaving the town someone cruised up next to us in an F40 !! it had Monaco plates of course !!!
    I would like to arrange a factory tour, how did you get the ticket ?

18. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Mario, just saw this thread for the first time. Love the video spyshot... you're my hero!!! :)

Bob

19. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    LOVE that video. Great sound.

20. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    as i recall the planet hotel has an outside parking area, but i don't think it was "secure". you could call them and ask them if they have any "safe" place that you could park your ferraris.

when i visited the factory a few months ago we stayed at the hotel real fini in modena (nice hotel). modena is about a 15 minute drive from maranello, but there is a lot more things to do and see in modena. i can't imagine spending more than half a day in maranello. lots more to do in modena.

planet hotel
    +39 0536 946782
    www.planethotel.org

hotel real fini
    +39 059 205 1511

21. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Lawdog - Did you stay at the Hotel Savoy in Florence? (i.e., right behind the "ticketed" 360?) I have stayed at the Savoy on two occasions. IMHO, probably the best hotel in Florence proper. What did you think?

22. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I did in fact stay there for 7 days. It was my second time as well. I was fortunate enough to stay there when they 1st opened may 2000...My wife and I were the first in the room. I was there for my honeymoon.

Mario

23. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    No....very unsecure since it's in the back of the hotel. There is underground parking for tenants only.

24. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    yfc,
    I did park my rental car in an underground parking at the Planet Hotel in Sept.02. Hotel elvator goes down to it. It was almost empty both nights but no gates or attendant.