Back in the Lifting Game, anyone else coming back? What are your goals? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Back in the Lifting Game, anyone else coming back? What are your goals?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Aaya, Aug 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #151 TexasF355F1, May 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do they have any squat machines like the one I've attached? Or hack squat machines?

You don't have to use the standard bar if you can't.

Other than yoga, you may want to also get a massage. That can help greatly with flexibility.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan

If you're not able to get the shoulder flexibility back, maybe see if your gym would invest in one of these?
    http://www.roguefitness.com/sb-1-rogue-safety-squat-bar?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3-W5BRCymr_7r7SFt8cBEiQAsLtM8kBuTjwCkvQi9V2Pirvg39t4mpv6jCm0aisYAPWs0aUaAvtg8P8HAQ

Other makes out there, just first one on google and comes from a good company.

3. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    While that may help his problem, for videos of fitness youtubers I've watched using that bar they say it takes some getting used to.

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The gym won't be buying anything. It's the gym in my office building, and while it's reasonably well equipped, what's there is only maintained. Nothing new has been added in the last 5 years.

5. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    In addition to what Jason recommended (careful with the Hack Squat - can be really hard on your knees), use a leg press instead or use dumbbells for your squats.

6. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yea, the hack squat is pretty hard on your knees. I rarely use it.

The leg press when done right kills the legs. I totally forgot about those lay down squat type machines. Much easier on the knees, but a little awkward to get used to.

7. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    #157 3240, May 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Start adding free weights to your routine. When you use machines you don't work stabilizing muscles and ligaments. Free weights help with flexibility, machines do not. I actually think machines are tougher on joints in the long run. You're much better off using lighter free weights vs. machines.

It's counterintuitive but as I've gotten older I've decreased reps per set. I'm a big fan of 5x5 or even 5x3 routines. When I keep reps low I can focus on each rep which helps avoid injury. Most of my weight lifting injuries have happened during high rep sets when I'm fatigued. Older lifters should use lower reps in my opinion.

Squats are impossible to replace but some people just can't do them due to injury or flexibility. Leg press, etc., doesn't really compare. Avoid the smith rack and hack squat like the plague unless you're looking to ruin your knees. I'm not sure why anyone still uses those machines. Back in the day I could squat in the mid 600's. 46 years old, 4 knee surgeries, and a back surgery later I can still handle a couple of reps over 500. But, my shoulder flexibility has become problematic and there are times when I just can't do a back squat. So, I replace them with front squats and over head squats. The front squat is easy to learn. It's great for the legs and core. The overhead squat, not so easy to learn but a killer exercise. If I could only do one exercise for the rest of my life it would be over head squats. It works everything, legs, core, shoulders, and really helps flexibility. If you want to try them watch some videos on youtube and start with a broomstick. It's a great exercise and only ever requires light weight. I've been doing these for decades and can still handle about 315.

Massages really do help but I'm not a fan of Yoga. One of my most nagging injuries resulted from Yoga. I also have several friends who have been injured doing yoga. Some people swear by it but I think it's asking for trouble.

Also, as we get older it's very important that we listen to our bodies. When I was younger I had a set routine. Four to five days per week, etc. Now I lift weights when my body tells me that I can. Some weeks it's three times per week. Other weeks it's twice per week. If my joints or muscles are really bothering me it might be once per week. I do not lift anymore when I'm too sore. I also no longer push through injuries. If something is bothering me I try to work around it. If that's not working, I rest. You can always do a little cardio if your body isn't ready for a weight workout.

Everything I do now is for functional or athletic strength. I want to emphasize functional strength and flexibility as I get older. So, all exercise are done standing. Literally, 95+% of my workout is done while standing. I don't ever lay on a bench or the floor. When I played football there was a huge emphasis on bench press. I had a good bench press but never understood the exercise. How is lying flat and pressing a weight going to improve my performance as an athlete, increase my flexibility, and keep me standing on my own two feet as I get older? It really is worthless when you think about it. Do standing overhead presses instead.

So take your time and add some free weights. Move away from those machines. Lift when your body says you can. Do a little cardio instead of weights if things are still aching. As we get older it's important that we pay attention to our bodies and workout smarter.

Here's an overhead squat with heavy weights. There's no need to go heavy but I've been doing them for a long time. As, I said earlier, it's my favorite exercise.

8. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Goals:
    1. Don't get hurt.
    2. Stay in current shape.
    and a distant third....
    3. Get a little better, yeah sure.

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Just did both hacks and leg presses - definitely agree with this. I'm 48, and there's a noticeable difference between the machines / exercises on the knees.

Been a few months since I'm back full time, and I feel great. I'm just under 200 pounds, 5'6", 31" waist. Cross striations starting to appear everywhere and vascularity returning.

Love it!

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Awesome!!

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks!

I know this got me in trouble with Jiu-Jitsu, but I'm feeling as if I could compete in a Masters class natural show (ANBC is what I competed in the past). Doubt I'd commit to it at my age, but you never know!!!

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Do it if the desire grows.