Back into Jiu Jitsu at 50 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Back into Jiu Jitsu at 50 ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Mention the names that you've heard

2. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Any type of testosterone injection.

3. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Most are.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    William, please update us with your BJJ.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Off for the Holidays. Back in Jan

Definitely learned that although I am very strong from weight lifting I need a lot more endurance so Ive been riding my bike on boardwalk 2 hrs a day twice a week

6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Awesome guys! I started Shaolin Kung Fu in July and love it! I had a few weeks Tang Soo Do in highschool but that was ages ago. I've lost 20 pounds, sprained my left foot and healed, and developed better strength and endurance. I've been rollerblading and XC skiing off and on for years and tried to skate some after starting Kung Fu. My advice is DON'T! We do enough cardio with our drills and excercises that it just isn't necessary anymore. I nearly passed out at the next practice) I am 47 and feel a lot better than I have in a long time. My back is stronger and I've been training my abs with crunches and leg lifts. It's working and I am steady now at 20 pounds lighter and gaining definition. I've finished First form, am half way through Fan form, and just started Lohan 1. I'm also doing Qigong 3 nights a week (Kung fu 2) Me and another white belt ought to be ready to test for yellow sometime next year. We have to add Staff and then prepare for the test. Only 4 belts in Shaolin Kung Fu.
    Amitofo! Forza!
    :D

7. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    By the way, is there much kicking, punching or acrobatics in BJJ? I gather it's more of a grappling style...

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    It's a lot of grappling but they also do throws, strikes, limited kicks

In Japanese JJ we also used weapons w more emphasis on throws & arm & wrist locks

9. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm not sure the "which is stronger?" applies due to the base that each are in, in addition to the application method and location for application.

The Androgel is a gel base that is applied topically to the shoulders and upper arms. Axiron is applied to the underarm and is a liquid base. The liquid base has a similar delivery agent to suntan lotion. My friend used to work at Balco Labs for Victor Conte (Barry Bonds steroid saga fame) and he told me that the transdermal agent in axiron is quite effective.

I believe both use a yam based testosterone.

If I had to pick a "better" one I'd say it's Axiron. Location is better to prevent transmission to unintended recipients (grand kids, etc). It's way easier to accidentally transmit something wiped on your upper arm and shoulders than under your armpit. In addition you dont gave to use your hands to apply Axiron it comes with an applicator cup

With that being said you lose some effectiveness when you apply deodorant first. I'd recommend applying the Axiron first and then the deodorant after the Axiron is dry.

With all this being said my dad is now on shots he gets from his doctor every third week so all of the "gel vs Axiron" research I did isnt applicable to him anymore. Guess thats why I'm happy to share it here. Need to justify the wasted hours now. Ha!

10. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    No kicks or strikes ever in BJJ. All grappling, joint manipulation and chokes. Any "strikes or kicks" would be found in an MMA gym where they will teach BJJ technique that is more applicable to someone who won't be wearing a gi.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Correct - in straightforward Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (with gi), it's all grappling. Takedowns are based on folkstyle wrestling or you use throws based on Judo.

If you train no gi, some places will accentuate the judo / wrestling takedowns. Other places will also cross train Muy Thai because there's an MMA focus.

Remember that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is an evolution of Japanese Judo. Judo does "ne-waza" (ground fighting), but BJJ expanded upon that significantly. It focuses far more on the ground fighting.

I've rolled with judoka (and I've crossed trained judo) - they are excellent at takedowns and takedown defense. However, once on the ground, they are limited. That does not mean they aren't good, just the repertoire of techniques aren't as comprehensive.

Personally, I think you couldn't go wrong with either Judo or BJJ. The only reason I shied from Judo is that I was 40 when I started BJJ, and getting thrown wasn't my idea of fun. Again, I've crossed trained throws and break falls, but I prefer the purity of ground fighting, and really what I focus on.

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Judo itself is an offshoot of JJJ

This BJJ Dojo does strikes & kicks as well but focus is grappling