Backup camera install | FerrariChat

Backup camera install

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dr J, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr J

Dr J Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason Beck
    I'm looking to put a backup camera on my 2015 458. Has anybody done this and have any recs? I don't want an extra screen on the dash, so looking more into the rear view mirror screen overlay.

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. Dr J

Dr J Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason Beck
  4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have a 612 with a low, big nose and I am always worried about the concrete bumpers in parking stalls. So a backup and front camera unit would be nice. The mirror unit looks great (and I agree, I would not want to put anything in my dash unless it could be interfaced with the existing screen) but I assume it is wired and I would not want to try to run wires to that. Nirvana would be a wireless unit. Am I just dreaming or is there such a thing (or an interface with the dash screen)?

5. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I saw a backup camera at Costco the other day. No wires. It is solar and transmits via Bluetooth to your smartphone. I believe it looked like a license plate holder. Cost was about $125.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Luciomed likes this.
  6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Nice! I am going to check it out. I assume if you get two then you can have one in the front and one in the back. $250 all in is very reasonable. Now the only problem is i have no front plate but you probably could take the guts and mound it somewhere in the undercarriage. So off to Costco.

7. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Or get a no drill plate from carbonio. I think they are one of our sponsors.
    I got one since CA is a two plate state and you can get pulled over for not having a front plate.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have run only rear plates on 3 vehicles in California since the mid 80s. Lots of speeding tickets and never had a fix it ticket for the missing front plate. So i am aware of carboni and will use them if i ever get a fixit ticket. But for now no front plate is the way to go. My personal view is most cops don’t really care and likely don’t have front plates on their own cars. :)

9. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    come 2019, that would no longer be the case in California. law has just passed that all new / used vehicles sold 1/1/19+ will have to have a temporary plate. This means every car SHOULD have a plate, which isn't the case today - new / used cars are sold without a plate, so no way a cop knows if you are breaking the law or not without pulling you over.

10. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    I bought one (for my company van), it doesn't goto your phone. It comes with a screen. quality is very good. but mounting it while looking OEM is not gonna be simple on a Ferrari.