Bad Experience Fluid Motor Union Gallardo Kevlar Clutch Install | FerrariChat

Bad Experience Fluid Motor Union Gallardo Kevlar Clutch Install

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by teoh2005, Aug 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teoh2005

teoh2005 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Khanh
    #1 teoh2005, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Extraordinary levels of incompetence, arrogance and dishonesty.

I emailed Fluid Jan 2021 to inquire about Gallardo replacement clutches. Asked about oem and kevlar, was quoted a Hitech Exotic Kevlar 300 clutch by their technician Donny Dumber.

Quote and emails show that the Hitech 300 Clutch included a parts AND labor warranty vs none with OEM. Donny also states that Fluid does have experience with these clutches, stands behind the quality of their repairs and that the HT kevlar clutches are great for the street.

I also contacted Hitech to ask questions and based on all the information presented by Donny/Fluid I ultimately decided on the HT350 (upgrade from 300).

Clutch was installed October 2021, when the car was picked up 1st gear engagement was not smooth. Car would jolt/buck off the line. I informed the tech and was told to let it break in for 1000 miles

Once car was home also started to leak oil and differential was groaning (did not do before clutch install). Decided to take the car to my local shop to have those 2 issues addressed (paid additional out of pocket). These 2 issues were missed by Fluid when car was in their possession.

As clutch got broken in, engagement was still rough. Also in reverse car would bounce up/down revs but not move. Went back to Fluid March 2022 to reset the PIS (clutch engagement point). PIS was changed multiple levels and upon the last setting car revved up to 4K rpm but would not move (clutch slipping). Then did other programming/etc before leaving. Car still did not drive correctly.

Kevlar clutches are supposed to grab more as they heat but since Fluid installed/setup the clutch would slip as it got warm. Went back several times to Fluid (March - May 2022) to recalibrate the PIS and b/w those visits clutch would be too grabby, drag b/w shifts, stall at low speeds or slip. At one of those appointments Donny informed me if I kept returning I would be charged for the tech's time. I told him he was being ridiculous, that I was wasting my time to drive out to their shop so they could fix what they could not get right. Also that the clutch included 2 yr parts/labor (actually 3 since HT350 was installed vs HT300)

Clutch then proceeded to make an awful squealing sound in 1st gear and reverse (see videos). At this point had already returned to Fluid 5 times and they still could not figure out the issue. I contacted the manufacturer Hitech and during the entire process Sean was extremely helpful. He had spoken to Fluid about how to setup/calibrate the clutch but they could not get it right. Sean/Hitech agreed to warranty to clutch/parts without issue but needed Fluid to open the car up 1st.

Fluid then kept delaying a time for the car to come in, texting they had figure out the labor portion of the repair/work. Donny called me saying Hitech agreed to warranty the parts and that the only issue was labor. I told him explicitly I would not be paying for labor again. That it was their responsibility to figure out the issue. Donny then tried to fault the clutch claiming it was not meant for street driving and doing so might have cause the clutch disc to glaze/burn. I stated warranty was included (see orig emails/quotes) and his response was that it wasn't because a clutch is a wearable part.

Then spoke to the owner OJ, who tried to agree to fix the car (not till Sept/Oct 2022??) BUT required that I had to be "nice to him." I said I don't need to be anything, all that needs to happen is the warranty honored. He said there was no warranty on clutches and that it was my issue because I recommended the clutch (not true from emails). He also stated that he was a small business and that I should be understanding if he needed to pay his techs labor again and that some of his customers would offer to pay labor again. I said I did not care, that I'm not one of those customers and other shops I work with (only used Fluid bc they have a Lara computer for PIS programming) will cover labor during the repair/fix if any issues to make it right and he was shocked that those businesses that took care of their customers are somehow operating.

Ultimately the phone call escalated. I asked why it was my responsibility to figure out labor costs for a repair to which Donny Dumber stated "well its your money". OJ ended with saying he didn't need any of this that is prepared to go legal if needed. Even if OJ agreed to honor his warranty I had zero confidence in Fluid's work.

Sean from Hitech was able to send one of his own techs with software to diagnose the car. He reprogrammed the PIS and tested the clutch. Mechanically no issues with the clutch and now driveability/engagement are smoother than the stock clutch I had before. All the time/effort with Fluid and they could never get it right even after charging me close to $20K.

From my experience Fluid will not stand by their work, will not honor their warranties and most importantly do not possess the level of competence/desire to provide quality service.

Fluid Motor Union Lamborghini Gallardo Incorrect Clutch Setup Squeal 2

Fluid Motor Union Lamborghini Gallardo Incorrect Clutch Setup Squeal 3

Khanh