430 - Bad new O2 sensors? Ignition Coils? Fabspeed Headers? Oh my! | FerrariChat

430 Bad new O2 sensors? Ignition Coils? Fabspeed Headers? Oh my!

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, May 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'm at wits end here, and thinking of returning everything to stock and selling the car. I'll admit I'm half venting and half seeking some advice on this post.

After installing the Fabspeed headers a couple of years ago I kept having issues with the Fabspeed provided extenders, followed by getting the O2 sensors stuck rich CEL, rightfully so, after the extenders repeatedly fell out of the converters even after multiple attempts at re-tightening by two different indy shops. Finally, I gave up and decided to send my ECU to Trev so I could not worry about CEL's resulting from the aftermarket headers in order to pass inspection, as well as to get some of the latest improvements that came with it.

Upon removing the damaged extenders, I decided it was a good time to replace the O2 sensors. The two on the drivers side were replaced by Bosch products ordered from Rock Auto. For some reason I keep getting the heater control circuit bank two errors (P0056 - Left rear o2 sensor circuit and P0051 - Left front O2 sensor circuit low). We've checked the grounds, the voltage on the ends, the wires themselves, and see no problems with it. Yet that error keeps coming up.
    • Question 1: Has anyone received bad O2 sensors from Rock Auto, or really anywhere? Any ideas at what else could cause this? I'm considering buying a second set of new O2 sensors to try out, but obviously would hate to end up with extra O2 sensors if i'm wrong.
    The third O2 sensors (passenger front), was not throwing a code at the time the left two were replaced and coding. However it was replaced by a Bosch part from Advanced Auto Parts after it was recommended to me to do both sides at the same time. Unfortunately, it's now reading P2196 - O2 signal biased/Stuck Rich, as well as P2270 - O2 sensor signal stuck lean (bank 1 sensor 2). At first I assumed this was related to the O2 sensors readings from the aftermarket headers, but I've read some other threads saying it could be the ignition coils? It's weird to me that the light came on after I installed a new one.
    • Question 2: What are some things that would trigger a P2196 code on the passenger side front O2 sensors if the the sensor has been replaced.
    Ironically, the rear, passenger side, O2 sensors I purchased from Ferrari of Austin is the only one not being flagged yet, which makes me wonder whether that's the issue (non-Ferrari part). However, there seem to be people here who have successfully used non Ferrari dealer parts as O2 sensors, and my part numbers match theirs.

Anyway, I don't get to drive it much as it is, and now I'm spending a lot more time than I'd like to trouble shooting. Most of my miles this year were driving around in circles in Austin trying to get see if the smog cycle check passed while we took things apart and put them back together multiple times attempting to address the O2 sensors issues. The local indy shop in Baton Rouge said they weren't sure where they'd go from here, and I won't have the time or proximity to better experienced Ferrari indy's or dealers until later this year. Hopefully the Fchat brain trust can provide some guidance. I really don't want to go back to stock as the car sounds and drives amazing otherwise, it's just hard and frustrating to troubleshoot something without knowing where the baseline is.

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

There's a lot of issues with extenders. To me its not worth the Hassel. When changing headers it's best to just do it rite and bite the bullet and get a tune.

VAF84 likes this.
  3. uwiik

uwiik Karting

Jan 6, 2022
    Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Dwi A
    +1! Extender never ever worked properly for me, tune is the way to go

VAF84 likes this.
  4. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I'm a fan of stock headers with the exhaust brackets removed.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My advice, there is a decent chance the non genuine parts are the issue

I can tell you for certain things like cats, mafs, coils, sensors, only buy genuine

No one will be able to say conclusively, but buy cheap by twice is said for a reason

6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

The tune is already done, that’s why I think it’s the o2 sensors themselves.

Yep, well we’re probably going to find out for certain because all I can think of is that I will have to try the OEM parts. Or at least buy them from Maserati? Which sucks because the front O2 sensors were something like $450 each from Ferrari versus $95-140 without the Ferrari name. So $900 vs $300. The rear ones are only 2x. Thing is I can see the left ones having issues, but the non-Ferrari on the right has a different error suggesting a different issue.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Try some fire clay on the threads to stop them coming loose

VAF84 likes this.
  8. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Unfortunately I’m not able to help but I’m interested if any California car able to get smogged with a tune with aftermarket header?

9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

That was the idea. Trev is well known on the forum and has a good reputation. I told him what whatever the tune was, it needed to pass California inspection in case I ever sold it to someone there. I wanted to feel confident I wouldn’t have to worry about that when selling the car. Unfortunately I was having the o2 sensor issue while I sent the Ecu off so I haven’t baselined the car yet. However my understanding is that it should pass CA with aftermarket headers.

10. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    The only extenders I have had luck with are the big daddy's. I have them on this car (430) and my previous car a Porsche 997 turbo and they worked on both. Trev is good choice to alleviate the issue though.

VAF84 likes this.
  11. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    Are the cells thrown from a specific year model? I changed my headers to challenge headers and never received a cell. Car is from late 2006. Drove about 20k miles last year without issues. No extenders installed.

12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Mine is a 2005. I thought challenge headers were considered “stock”, I wouldn’t expect them to trigger a CEL, but I could be wrong.

13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Challenge headers are stock for challenge cars because they don't have no cats in the headers. When you put challenge headers on a standard f430 that has cats in their headers you should expect a code. I'm not sure why Gillis isn't getting a code unless I missed something here

VAF84 likes this.
  14. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Always a problem with Fabspeed....

15. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    @VAF84 I am very sorry to hear you have been having issues with the CELs, happy to investigate this for you.

Do you know if your shop has smoke checked your system? It could be running rich due to an exhaust leak. Secondly, do you have any photos of the extenders that are falling out? The spacers should be south of the cats, so hypothetically if they were the cause you would also be getting inefficiency codes. Happy to send you a fresh set if you're interested in giving them a shot, but would love to connect you/your shop with our Service director so he may lend some further solutions.

16. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Hi John, there are two separate issues going on. The Fabspeed side of it was the extenders never stayed on, and had to be sent back to be repeatedly tightened, ultimately the thread got ruined and we had to re-tap one of the catalytic converters. We got lucky because for a minute there we were concerned we'd have to replace it if we couldn't successfully tap the hole. I'm attaching pics. The headers, blankets, and extenders were initially installed by Josh at Exotic Performance in Austin. They worked while they stayed in place and I did not have CEL issues. It was that they wouldn't stay on that was causing the problem. They would vibrate and come loose, so I took it back to him one or twice to fix, then Ferrari of Austin where they recommended I remove and return to stock because they were concerned it would cause damage to the catalytic, before I left to Baton Rouge. While in in BR, they came loose again, and this time I took them to Vinnie's Exotics to get them tightened a last time to buy some time in deciding what to do. After that there was no way to keep them tight, they would literally vibrate off during a single drfive and of course after that the CEL's stayed on. That's what kicked off my journey with the O2 sensors. I may take you up on your offer some fresh ones, but I think that part of it has been addressed, and I'm not sure if it's a permanent fix based on what I just went through. After the money I spent trouble shooting this via shops, I've been doing the work with my dad on the O2 sensors. At this point I've gotten pretty proficient at taking it apart and putting it back together, also my dad does mechanic work, for the more complex aspects that may arise.

After I realized the extenders weren't going to work, I forked out the money to permanently fix the problem via the ECU. I'm assuming that's not the cause of my current O2 issues. This second part is most likely that for whatever reason the two O2 sensors (drivers side) I got from Rock Auto are showing a heater circuit fault which doesn't make much sense. Then I do have the one stuck rich on the passenger side, without the extenders, so I need to trouble shoot that.

Attached Files:

17. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Update: Not sure what would have lead to the following blown fuses or whether my attempts to circumvent the O2 extenders contributed, but replacing these sensors seem to have removed the CEL. Picking up the car from the shop, and will update if issues return.

Qavion likes this.
  18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have to disagree with this. To my knowledge Ferrari doesn’t do any real due diligence with Bosch or Ngk parts. I’d even be willing to bet they are put in Ferrari boxes at the factory or distributor. Yes, there are counterfeits out there but I don’t think that you are gaining anything paying $250 for a coil from Ferrari rather than $50 from a reputable parts dealer other than peace of mind.

it’s much more likely that the aftermarket exhaust components are causing the issues unless you somehow managed to get counterfeit Bosch parts.

Atlantic and VAF84 like this.