355 - Ball Joint Failure on 6k Mile F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Ball Joint Failure on 6k Mile F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Orangevespa, Sep 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Here's my thoughts: They fly cut it after it's pressed in. It's likely how they get the tolerance on the ENTIRE knuckle. If they didn't then the tolerance of the flange on the insert would drive the tolerance PLUS the tolerance on the counterbore hole.

sjd

BigTex likes this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    or your car's been crashed and no one said anything.

sjd

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Build date?

4. Orangevespa

Orangevespa Rookie

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    NAA
    It wa never crashed..I’ve gotten history since day one and it’s also been Classiche certified.

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Undoubtedly all have pressed collars as you wouldn’t be putting those into an aluminium housing without a harder material to press into. Wouldn’t end well.

As to the difference in nuts; the original is far more expensive than a standard 10 cent nyloc nut you can buy from anywhere. Ferrari still sell the originals. They also lock in a different way. Although oddly their call joints come with a bog standard nyloc; guess as a result that they are from a parts bin not specific to Ferrari and fit a whole load of cars and made by somebody else.

www.ferrariparts.co.uk is the website to use.

The only oddity here is why tne origami all ball joint failed; and gnat needs commentary for a metallurgist for a definitive answer.

steved033 likes this.
  6. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Orangevespa, there is a quick check you can do to see if there is an insert in your good side. Take a good magnet and see if it is attracted to the possible insert collar. The hub is aluminum so if no magnetic draw there is not a steel collar.

PAUL500 likes this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Possible but -looks- like all aluminum and not a sleeve that was fly cut. Usually you can still see the difference in metal color

steved033 likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What a great thread guys......

I would say the collar is a part of the upright, pressed in at assembly of the part.

I would also set forth that , like the wheel stud inserts into aluminum, it's there to strengthen the upright.
    I don't think the raw cast aluminum would hold up to the stress of the suspension action, therefore the collar insert.

But it would not be an independent part.

NOTE: I don't own a 355, so therefore don't know &%**, I have had minor impacts over curbing and storm inlets, that totally shattered aluminum uprights on "other fast cars" and am only here, to tell this tale, because like the OP it failed at low speeds after some 150MPH runs!!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That would be my theory, pressed in, then a final machining...

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    A magnet won't lie. It looks like two colors to me, but I'm just a guy at a computer looking at pictures.

sjd

BigTex likes this.
  11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The chamfer into the stud is part of the machining I think, it happens at the 360 Camshaft Variators also, with tragic results!!
    :D :D :D

So I 'm gonna duck out, but it's also noted the "castle nut/pin" method of the 348 was superseded by the Nylock hex nut on your new ball joints.
    That's an "Accounting department labor savings on the assembly line" decision, IMO, and if the older style castle nuts are available that would be a better assembly, in my mind...but racers like to tie wire everything, ya know???

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I suspect as posted above this car has an "early collarless" upright at the passenger side, and a later "insert style" on the drivers side.

As to how it got that way, I don't think the Factory would have comingled parts, as there was a reason for the design change...
    But I can't see Italy from here!

The aluminum upright failure I experienced was at a VERY low mileage( as I admitted to a miner curb impact) but not that long after in 1994 a poor girl in the same car, went missing, and two weeks later was found upside down in the forest, expired. I suspect she was bombing down an Off Ramp, and a curb impact handed her the same failure, albeit at a much higher speed.

13. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Definitely insert collars in the aluminum housing. one is still attached to the ball joint stud. My unprofessional opinion, looking at the fracture, it seems there were cracks in the stud on each side. The steel fracture has darker discoloration on the sides as compared to the shiny metal in the centre, indicating an accumulation of dirt. Could have been cracked (the dark part) for a period of time before letting go. ie; the shiny part. A loose bolt may have cause too much side load movement, cracked the stud , then broke once the force exceeded the the strength of the remaining stud. glad it was not as serious as it could have been.
    Those cheap nylok bolts should not be used for a critical part like this. Get some good quality locking shoulder bolts that help spread out the load.

BigTex likes this.
  14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You fix the broken side, and life goes on.

You are right though that's not a Repair Order one would keep in the file or include in a sale!!!!
    Mine was repaired under warranty, but as my carrier paid it and subrogated against the manufacturer....

I banged the new one on the metal counter and handed it to the mechanic to install!!!
    :D :D :D

..and was careful with curbs going foreword!!

steved033 likes this.
  15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Any of you guys who were asking about the year of the car make any correlations as to when the switchover occurred?

sjd

16. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am sorry to hear about this but it does look like a freak occurance.

I also do not want to hijack this thread but a '95 GTB is Rosso Barchetta with 6,500 miles?!?! Sounds like my dream F355. I would love to see more of it and learn its story.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That has been failing for a good while, the outer diameter is totally different to the light grey centre where it finally failed.

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agreed on the magnet, disagreed on two colors, and same here :D

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  20. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    All depends on what's harder...

sjd

21. Orangevespa

Orangevespa Rookie

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    NAA
    Well I just wrapped up the replacement of the two lower ball joints (did the passenger side too just in case). While on that side I did a magnet test on the bottom of the steering knuckle/upright. It’s all aluminum. No steel collar/insert.

Good news is car is back together and took it for a short test/low speed test drive. All systems are functionally normally. Next step
    Is to get that driver side steering knuckle/upright replaced with a non-insert version and take things from there. Also going to replace upper ball joint in case any were damaged when the lower one went pop.

will see about getting a metallurgist to look at broken one and report back to the group.

here she is all clean and ready to rock. Image Unavailable, Please Login

audi_328, GTO Joe, INTMD8 and 2 others like this.
  22. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I subscribe to the school of occum's razor which States that the simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation. It's likely a previous owner hit a curb or a pothole which weakened or fractured that ball joint and then it was just a ticking time bomb. My old 328....one of the front front mounting forks for the control arm failed and it was determined that it was bent and mangled and cracked because you could tell from the rust....and then it finally failed.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well that's something you don't see everyday on FChat, a red Ferrari 355 Berlinetta. ;)

Looking good.

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I suppose anything is possible. Not doing the math on anything but just my guess. I don't think it would be possible to hit anything at any speed which would allow the shock/spring assembly to transfer enough force to that ball joint to pull it apart unless it was already damaged or flawed.

To me it looks like abrasion/material transfer on the underside of the nut (edges look a bit hammered)

Without having the parts in hand, my impression is that's more indicative of either -not- being torqued. So enough play in the assembly to pound that part until it eventually fatigued and failed.

OR-

Would also like to see the top of the original knuckle. If for some odd reason the top surface the nut torques against is not square to the bore it would put a bending force into the failed part when torqued.

(Or similarly, nut threads not square to flange)

GTO Joe likes this.
  25. ewn355

ewn355 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    I just noted from the picture that the OP posted of the car that it looks like the front bumper doesn't have a side marker light...

steved033 likes this.