488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Nah- no anger here. Just bewilderment at the fact that dealers don’t want my money. It’s all good. Apparently I can waste it all on hookers and blow in Vegas. :)

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Ya only live once ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I agree with patience comment. At some point theyll come back to you for just the pista sale. They wanna/have to sell alot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klfpaul likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Too late with me. Already voted with my wallet and bought something else. Maybe next time.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Totally get it - theres a difference between principal and principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

To be clear. There is not anger or bitterness. Just surprise. I get companies want to run their business they way they see fit. My issue is that there aren’t too many people who can afford 300k cars. Even fewer who can afford million dollar cars. I would just think they would find a better way to try to accommodate their customer demands. Or at the very least stop being so friggin arrogant and condescending. You are a car salesman for God’s sake! Lol

LARRYH, sainthoo and iloveferrari like this.
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't disagree with you guys. I don't believe in doing business like this. But sadly, the market is bearing it. That's the harsh truth. I'm not a sports fan but look at the cost of those game tickets.

Seems Ferrari is doing just fine with their approach even though many of us don't like it.

SoCal to az likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup. Their business their rules. My wallet my rules. :)

boogie and Dave rocks like this.
  9. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
    I had a similar situation a few months back. Having bought nothing from one of my local dealers, I went in to see what they had on the floor. I was in my F12, and I was looking for a 458 spider to add to the lineup. They told me that the owner was selling his 488 Pista allocation, and it could be mine if I give them $299,000 for a 458 Spider that was worth $215k tops with the options and miles, then I’d have to buy a Portafino as well. On top of that, it would be one of their last Pista allocations, so we were looking at multiple years before the car would be delivered. I said hard pass and put a deposit on a different 458 spider on the drive home. There’s a price to pay to get an allocation without doing any business with them, and more power to them if someone is willing to pay it. I’m not that guy.

sainthoo and SoCal to az like this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Jesus- an overpriced 458 AND and Portofino???

Just buy a Pista on the secondary market and save couple hundred grand.

Good lord that’s a hefty entrance fee.

Automoblog likes this.
  11. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
    Yeah, pretty brutal. If the Pista price tag is in the $450k range, you’ll pay $600k or so for the car after absorbing your losses on the two other cars. That’s a new level of desperation, especially considering it will be one of their last Pista deliveries. I’d definitely just buy one second-hand like I have my two other cars.

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I had similar experiences with porsche as well, and that is why I jumped the brand to Ferrari. I stopped before 812 as well because of dealer game which is same as porsche. I just need to be happy with what I have now.

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #88 boobernackle, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    The biggest issue with asking for an allocation now is that THERE IS NOTHING to give. Dealers in most parts of the world haven't even received their first deliveries. To have customers call them asking for something they have no idea about is not wise, hence the dealer gives you the BS "sold out" reply, as it sounds much better for the car. The more you ask, you're showing your hand and dealers will throw games at you. On a car with no production limit, expect those customers that order super high MSRP cars to go first, including those that fell for the Portofino/Lusso game, then they will work down the list.

Again, patience here is key. Typical Pista will hover in the $380K-400K range (I'm sure you can easily get it up to $450K), keep in mind most items, like CF wheel, CF dash inserts, seats, etc. will be standard and priced in, whereas on a typical 488, they are extra cost options, so factor that in your calculations.

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have seen absolutely zero evidence of that at my dealer. Can’t believe it is allowed in the US either. Ferrari FNE want to meet you and see you at events as part of you becoming a VIP.

15. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    Reading this and other posts makes me feel better that I got my 488GTB when I did. Seems the pricing of the future cars will be significantly higher and I would not be able to convince myself to spend the money. Now throw on top these crazy games where you need to buy other cars that you don’t even want and the game goes way beyond my means. Looks like my 488 is a keeper for at least the seven years I get free maintenance. It’s got way more performance than I can even get close to using in public roads and on track my skills have a long way to go to outgrow it. Looking forward to see all the new ones that you guys acquire.

I was a Porsche guy for 25 years. They started to play the same game and I walked away a couple years ago. They now started calling me back offering me the GT cars I wanted but they would not offer me before. No thanks. The trust is broken. Will never own another Porsche.

I think Ferrari should be careful. Being special is different than being greedy. The luxury company that has this figured out in the watch world is Patek. They know how to build relationships with their customers. Their application process for the high end pieces makes so much sense. They make it absolutely clear how to get to the level you want to be without any games. Family owned company that puts their customers first.

I love Ferrari but am concerned about what looks like a significant change in the greed factor of the company after they went public. Pista margins are ridiculous when you look at what a GTB costs and what a Pista will cost. Ultimately the market will decide like all things.

iloveferrari, Gh21631, j09333 and 2 others like this.
  16. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #91 boogie, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    If the cars are selling in a way that meets or is slightly below demand then it's working. We can be sure the aggressive pricing is by design: They're valuing the additional scarcity of the limited edition models so as to keep the premium for themselves (their shareholders) rather than giving it to their customers.

If you're right the aggressive pricing worked as designed.

Mbutner and Lukeylikey like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Your comment still bears no resemblance to reality nor addresses the subject being discussed. All 911s, including GT variants, share the majority of parts, components, chassis etc. Clearly Porsche has no difficulty offering a multitude of 911s. At current count there are 21 variants of the 911 and 3 versions of the GT. Porsche has no difficulty manufacturing so many versions of the same car. This stategy is obviously pursued to increase sales by attempting to appeal to as broad a cross section of potential buyers as possible. Porsche has no issues with financing since it is a division of a multi billion dollar organization. They additionally have a well established dealer network. How any of this has anything to do with artificially restricting the numbers of GT cars, even when they are not limited production models, and permitting dealers to charge obscene prices above MSRP for these cars, is beyond my limited level of comprehension.

Gh21631, Mbutner and Shamile like this.
  18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    There was a time in this world when businesses believed that they were there to make the customer happy - LL Bean used to say proudly: we try to make each product a little better and sell it at a lower price.

I've owned nine Ferraris beginning with my old 330/365GTC speciale, every one pre-owned.

Attached Files:

JGrey, Mbutner, LandandcarsAZ and 4 others like this.
  19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    beautiful car! Daytona wheels?

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Spot on! Patek does it right. Exclusive but attainable.

21. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I don't get how Porsche is able to play these games. Besides the 918, its hard to look at any of their cars and get excited. Even the GT2RS looks like a dime a dozen 911 turbo with a few extra wings and intakes. Yawn

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    As Jeremy Clarkson once said" Porsche has the laziest designers in the world." Differences without a distinction.

U-Boat Commander likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The interiors on the cars are identical. I mean- exactly the same on every trim of the 911z. Gets a bit boring.

As much as I loved my RS and Touring, the dealer games make the brand a bit of a turn off

24. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    As regards to Ferrari games it seems that the common denominator seems to be FNA specifically, it doesn't seem widespread beyond that geographical area. Thankfully I have never experienced anything even remotely close to what is being described here from my dealer.

25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Such a deal ! :rolleyes: