BAR beats Ferrari in testing? | FerrariChat

BAR beats Ferrari in testing?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by sjb509, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I was reading on formula1.com this morning about the testing in Spain last week. BAR topped the times on Friday 1-2. Button is not that shocking, but Sato in second?. On Thursday in the wet Shumacher was 2 seconds quicker than the next driver (Alonso). Ferrari must have been sandbagging big time Friday. Even though Ferrari may have been doing a race simulation, there is still a point of pride for these drivers when these communal tests occur. You almost wonder if Shumacher and crew are just toying with the competition.

Look at Ralf in tenth, his own test driver beat him by over a second. Pathetic if you ask me.

1. Jenson Button, BAR (Michelin), 1:15.048
    2. Takuma Sato, BAR (Michelin), 1:15.293
    3. Michael Schumacher, Ferrari (Bridgestone), 1:15.628
    4. Pedro de la Rosa, McLaren (Michelin), 1:15.798
    5. Mark Webber, Jaguar (Michelin), 1:15.861
    6. Marc Gene, Williams (Michelin), 1:15.924
    7. Alexander Wurz, McLaren (Michelin), 1:16.272
    8. Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari (Bridgestone), 1:16.521
    9. Scott Dixon, Williams (Michelin), 1:16.610
    10. Ralf Schumacher, Williams (Michelin), 1:17.190
    11. Giancarlo Fisichella, Sauber (Bridgestone), 1:17.247

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Notice the time for MS was almost identical with the one he posted previously in the rain!

I think Ferrari is laying low, just showing enough speed to 'look' competitive, while having enough in reserve to run and hide.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    These times mean nothing. Wait untill race day.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Once Honda gets its act together, and it will, they will be F1 Champions again.

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The announcers on Speed TV said they saw BAR and Renault replacing Williams and McLaren as the other 2 big dogs of F1.

Honda has there stuff together this year.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Honda and BAR are doing great. Nevertheless I'm wondering how much of a "Ferrari tyre" the Bridgestone has become: Notice that BAR got really quick once they dropped the Bridgestones and the Saubers still make not much progress.

Todt btw mentioned, that Ferrari will enhance the car quite a bit for Imola. Such an announcement must be salt in their competitors' wounds.

7. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Oh yes, because Williams have proven themselves to be so slow this year...

8. FERRARISTI

FERRARISTI Rookie

Apr 10, 2004
    NORTH AMERICA
    Full Name:
    GLENN
    I've been a Formula 1 fan for some time now and I can honestly say that it is the most exciting form of racing for me. Of course, with Ferrari dominating the way they are, makes the sport even that much more spectacular. However, Formula 1 teams are on cycles regarding their individual standings within the sport. Technologies change over time, R&D gets better and drivers change: It will not surprise me to see other teams exchanging places in the near future. I can recall a time when Honda, Renault and Ford was at the top.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to the board!

10. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Welcome to the board Glenn.

As for the testing times, I don't take any of them seriously. The point isn't to show up the competition and let them know what they need to race against. That's what the races are for. They already know Ferrari is quick. I doubt Ferrari is out to give them a benchmark in testing to compete against either. Now if BAR is leading the back in San Marino, then we'll have something to talk about.

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think Minardi will lead the back and BAR can race up front if they wish. ;)

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    (Did i see sarcasm in that post?)
    It's nbot so much Williams has proven themselves slow (they have not really) But the fact that BAR have proven themselves so fast.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    (Did i see sarcasm in that post? ;) )
    It's not so much Williams has proven themselves slow (they have not really) But the fact that BAR have proven themselves so fast.

14. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Well.....hehe, I never doubted BAR this entire year and during testing. I actually thought they were going to jump to third place. :) Now, if Renault had Honda power things might be different...but they don't.

15. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    In regards to Ralf being slower then Gene, it was said on F1 live that he hurt his back in testing and had to leave a day early. That may be the reason, or maybe just another excuse for him.

16. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    eh, must of missed that. at least ya got the point :)

Funny thing is I read that as "Minardi will lead the pack" and thought, what are you thinking?

17. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    i like the way you think :D