Barn find '79 924 | FerrariChat

Barn find '79 924

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mechanical Dad, Sep 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Just came across this and decides to buy it. Was parked in a garage in fall of 94 and taken out in 2014. Owner lost interest and his son didn't have the time to fix it. Plane Jane 2.0 non turbo automatic. It's going to look good next to my Mondial I think. Maybe I'll make it my runner car for my shop! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What are your plans for getting it running after sitting for so long?

Scott

3. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Cool find, especially with the rear Carrera GT flares. Are the front fenders flared too -- tough to tell from the photo? That's a 924 Turbo/Carrera GT vented nose panel too.

4. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Sorry for the delay in response. Well I got it running and driving in about 4 hrs. I didn't do too much actually. Drained the fuel, new battery, inspected the rest of the fuel system and cleaned out the aur box and it started right up. Let it run for 30 minutes and it had decent oil pressure, fans kicked on and off, no leaks other than some light oil around the front seal. I've since replaced the timing belt, adjusted the valves, changed plugs and wires, oil and filters, flushed the brake system, recounted the the front clip, (it was held on by zipties) and started in on the electrical system. Dash has to come out to repair the heater motor and a few connections I can't get to but it's going very well. It's nothing fancy but my boys love the fact there's a Ferrari and a porsche in the garage now getting fixed. Hoping to get it on the road by the end of the month before the snow flies! Oh and it has Carrera front bumper panel too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
  6. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Amazing how easily they can come back to life. Congrats on your success. And if you really want to have some fun later, you can always drop in a small block Chevy. Lol.

Scott

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That car was loved at one point. The owner installed 944 front fenders, rear flares, a vented nose and a different front valence. Did the owner do some mechanical mods?

8. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    No mods other than body. None of the previous owners were mechanics thats for sure. The front bumper was held on by zipties! . Now it's at the home of a self employed mechanic! Lots of mechanical love here! Might put it on the road next week.......

Sent from my GT-P5210 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Actually those are front end front and rear quarters from 924 Carrera GT.

10. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Yes it look to be a kit from lindsey racing. All fiberglass. Poorly installed. I already removed the rear flares. They weren't held on very well either. The paint job was done in a shed probably. The original paint wasnt even sanded before they painted it black! I like the patina weathered look, so I may leave it and just use it for my business.

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks great!

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  12. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Great find! I hope you attach the rear arches back with wide Fuchs wheels. Swaping 1.8T VAG engine seems to be new favourite swap for these. Are you going to keep the automatic?
    Friend of mine had original 931 with original factory installed Carrera GT parts. First owner wanted the real thing but was late in the game and all real ones were sold, so he ordered turbo with 937 looks. Beautiful car.

13. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
  14. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
  15. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    So it's on the road again ! Naturally I took it for a coffee. For not being on the road since 94, the car itself must love it. Still are bugs to work out yet, but it's getting there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jakuzzi and G. Pepper like this.
  16. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Took it on a fishing trip on the backroads. No fish, but that doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Texas Forever likes this.