"Barn find" Daytona Spyder | FerrariChat

"Barn find" Daytona Spyder

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bryan, Dec 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    That is not a genuine Factory Spyder. Only one Spyder had the plexiglass front, the rest were built with retractable headlights.

Here is an excerpt from QV500.com, an excellent reference source for all exotic cars:
    "Shortly after debuting the gorgeous GTS/4, a number of important revisions were introduced on both versions. These changes came about as a result of the newly imposed Federal safety legislation in the USA that deemed covered headlights illegal. Thus, Pininfarina were forced into carrying out a mild front-end make-over. Their answer was to fit the Daytona with retractable headlights in early-1971, also initially decorating the nose with a distinctive aluminium strip (see illustration above). As a consequence of these lighting requirements, only one genuine GTS/4 Daytona Spyder (the Frankfurt Show car, chassis 12851) was ever built with the plexiglas front-end, all subsequent examples featuring retractable headlights."

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Genuine Spyders have recently traded, at the RM Maranello, RM Monterey and Gooding Pebble Beach auctions at $1.4 Million, $1.5 million and $2.1 million.
    The $950K price is the dead giveaway here - way to cheap to be real!

4. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    You mean to say you think it's a cut Coupe or just that the plexiglass makes it non-original? Doesn't really matter anyways, the car has already been sold :)

5. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Ad states that it is a true Spyder. That's a bold statement, unless true, to make in this litigious world.

6. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The ad states it was a Scaglietti Factory Spyder. An ambiguous statement if ever.
    The only Ferrari Factory built Spyder with a Plexi front was the original Frankfurt show car and that green monstrosity is not the Frankfurt show car, ergo it is NOT a factory Spyder.
    I suspect the buyer will have grounds to rescind the sale as a cut coupe is worth less than $500k in any market.

The serial numbers of all of the factory built Spyders have been posted on FChat many times.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42220&highlight=Daytona+Spyder+serial+numbers
    The ad neglected to include the serial number of the car - another red flag!

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I actually like the colour ... and the plexi front. I personally think the Daytona Spyder is one of the plainest Ferraris ever made, but somehow in this colour it looks, well atleast interesting.

Pete

8. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  9. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    The car was crashed at one time and they repaired the car with parts of a pleximodel , so I was told.
    The number was genuine.

10. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Sold last Friday

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Do you know its serial number Tom?
    What did they get for it?

12. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Crash repair of popup Daytonas using plexi fronts was relatively common in the 70s and early 80s. Actually, so were crashes due to brake fade suprises.

You guys are right as usual re only one plexi Spyder. This is extremely well documented.

If the car is a real GTS, the price leaves plenty of room for a paint job and front end replacement

13. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    That is how I understand the circumstances surrounding this car. It should be pretty easy for the new owner to find out as he was the original owner of the car :)

14. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    a friend in French section send me some pics of this car, there s 2/3 months ago so i m not rally surprise to see this car to sell

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nice!

16. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    that makes sense it cannot be a 1972 and have an original plexi front. Therefore, assuming that the 1972 part is correct, the front has to have been replaced so this may well be an original... I like the plexi front anyway. Though not original, I would keep it... Just change the paint ;)

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The green is an interesting change in a sea of red and Yellow. Always nice when you can get back an old car. There is a Daytona coupe that is now resale red that was hit early in it's life. I know the owner doesn't want that one back. He did get another Daytona coupe back that he previously owned.
    Did the accident make a different steering wheel necessary for this green Daytona?
    CH

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    There's an excellent article in Forza magazine [57] by Bill Badurski on the difference's between a coupe and a Spyder.

one of the usual tell tail signs that a Spyder has been converted from a coupe is that the coupe had an extra toggle switch for the rear window demister and most cut coupes still have this as removing it would leave a hole in the dash and the info plate underneath would be wrong.
    The trouble is that from the pic's you can't tell.

Bill put me on to this article and anyone that has a cut Spyder should get this mag. as if is full of very useful info.

19. lord.brett

lord.brett Formula 3

Nov 26, 2006
    France Normandie 27
    Full Name:
    brett
    In my database with this registration :

#14901 365 GTS/4 US version
    1971, sortie d’usine
    le 37ème spider Daytona
    option : air conditionné
    décembre 1971, livrée aux USA chez Chinetti Motors, USA
    Coloris : vert clair/cuir noir
    roues Borrani
    197., reçoit les phares sous carénage en plexiglas
    Immatriculation : “537 PPI” (CA-USA)
    200., se trouve toujours en Californie

# 14901 365 GTS / 4 US version
    1971, leaving the factory
    The 37th spider Daytona
    Option: air-conditioning
    In December 1971, came at the USA Chinetti Motors, USA
    Color: Light green/black leather
    Wheels Borrani
    197. Receives headlights shroud under Plexiglas
    200. Is still in California

20. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #20 wetpet, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    It looks like the paint is original and the headlights under the plexiglass are "semi original" :D

I don't know why you would want it in that color but look at the clothes people wore in 1972!!!

22. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    EDIT: I mis-understood the information given to me earlier. It turns out this Ferrari has had three owners. The original owner purchased from Chinetti and had the car for about a year where it was re-sold to another gent who owned it for about two years before it was involved in a frontal collision. The second owner sold it after the accident to a California buyer where it has sat unused since about 1980. This car was recently purchased by FoD and re-sold to the second owner who is now very happy to be reunited with his old Spyder. I am told it was originally painted a sort of Cinnamon metallic color...don't recall the name.

23. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Not according to the record presented...in any event, the "sort of Cinnamon metallic color" was likely Marone.

24. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig

I know but the second owner of the car said it was not Green when he owned it...maybe the car was painted this lovely shade of green before he owned it but I doubt it.

25. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    There you go. Well so who cares about the damage its an original drop top. You have to get rid of that paint ASAP and it gives you an opportunity to make sure the damage was repaired properly back in the day. The plexi front is sweet I would do anything to have it. I'd paint it gold personally ... too bad I don't have an extra mil lying around ;)