Barn find stories? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Barn find stories?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by atheyg, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Lovely Mini MK I :D

2. enbanfe

enbanfe Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Princeton NJ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Is the Miura in Portugal? Brazil?

3. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Lisbon, Portugal. It's outside at the paint/body shop where they're doing a Flaminia Zagato for me.

4. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    i've got a weak for 0052M story. theres also a thread in vintage section.

5. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    How about a national guard armory garage find? Not quite a barn find. We found a 1959 Cooper Monaco sn 006 in such a garage in Baltimore. It was silver with a Buick v8 stuck in it. It had not been raced for about 10 years, was sitting on a single axle trailer held down with cotton 1/4" ropes behind a Ford Edsel. We bought it for $600 and towed it home. It had F1 Cooper spoke wheels and a spare set. I worked on it for about two years, cleaned it up, pulled the oil pan off to inspect the engine, which turned out to have been built by Traco, put new front spindles and brakes on it, rebuilt the distributor, repainted it and gave it a new battery. It had 8 straight exhaust pipes, no mufflers. The first time I started it, I did so standing outside the car, pushing the starter button and operating the throttle by hand. When it lit up, it about blew my head off. Extremely loud. I sold it to a guy in Chicago for $2600. It would spin the rear wheels in all four gears down the straight at Summit Point.

Ed

6. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Back in the '80s, there was Jaguar E-Type convertible body (from the firewall back, no chassis) abandoned in a wooded lot in Bay Shore, NY. The lot has since been developed and I wonder what happened to that body (assuming it wasn't junked) and how it ended up there.

7. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    #107 sranderson, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's one I pulled out of a field a year ago. '57 Talbo Lago. The Gentleman I bought it from was the 2nd owner. The body was in a field; all the parts were previously in the possession of the ex-wife. I'm sure you can figure out the story.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    So did you manage to put the parts and the body together?

9. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA

Yes. Because of its rarity it had to be saved though it was more of a project than I wanted to get into. Its new owner is having it restored @ Catz Automotive Specialties in Youngstown, OH, (http://www.coolcatz.com) where its next to a Vignale bodied Cunningham, also being restored.

Now, had it been a 275 or Cal Spider...............

SRA

10. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    WHAT!?!?!?!? Now I need more details on this one, please.

11. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    #111 Mrpbody44, Oct 9, 2008
  12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yikes! Is it worth saving?

13. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    I saw this car yesterday. I think the owner took it out of the nearby barn and it is headed for the dumpster next to it. The owner does have a nice Alfa GTV6 and an ealry 911 in his barn from what I can see from the highway.

14. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    #114 Indy430, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
    Did anyone see "chasing classic cars" on Discovery HD? ... there was a great story about a barn found buggati that belonged to the guy that owned Macy's. That thing went straight to Christies auction and brought something like $800,000.... CRAZY

Here is the a couple lines off the Discovery HD website

Car restorer Wayne Carini uncovers an extremely rare 1938 Bugatti Type 57C Atalante Coupe from a secluded garage in Westchester, NY --- untouched for nearly 50 years

15. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
  16. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Easy to guess why this one got parked long ago!

17. BluMalago

BluMalago Karting

Jan 18, 2007
  18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #118 velocetwo, Oct 20, 2008
  19. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Decent Series, it brings back memories for me of the trials and travails of the business.

"We're trying to get these cars ready for Ameila Island, the transport's going to be here in two hours and Joe who was supposed to wrap up the Lancia decided not to show up today....". Ah, what a life!

As for the Bug, Wayne didn't find it, Christies did. They had Wayne handle the removal and prep for the auction.

20. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hemmings did an article lately about a Porsche 356 that was found on the bottom of a lake, where it was believed to have been there since 1968. I remember hearing that the price was ridiculous for a car in such condition (5k-8k?), but I remember it was very interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

21. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    Well the Daytona spider has about 700 kms on the clock and has not ran since 1974.. New.. Owner is stinking rich and likes it this way.. I havnt seen it since 1977

ill get the Vin ..

Nik

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A number of years ago I was sitting at the Cannes Film Festival on the Carleton Terrace when a woman at a different table who was amused by all of our shop talk leaned over and asked:

"Do you like Pictures?"

I thought she was referring to Movies so I said I did.

"Would you like to see some?"

"Sure"

She came over to our table and opened a worn manila envelop. She reached in and took out some large format transparencies.

I held them up to the light. They were oils. Very powerful but a touch strange. Angry. Very Sexual. I had never seen anything like them but I recognised the Artist immediately.

There were Soldiers blocking the driveway holding Machine Guns. They looked at her and waved us through.

We entered the sunlit studio and even though I saw what I saw I was unable to comprehend what I was seeing. 350 canvases stacked like wood against every surface. 350.

I sought out the one that I liked best from the transparencies. It was a bit different. Not so angry. Very colorful.

"An Artist and His Model" she said.

It was a complicated situation. Heirs, Governments, Taxes, Export Licences, Lawyers, guns, money and time. Years went by and every once and a while I would take out that transparency and look at it.

I had to really stretch but I realized it might be the only time in my entire life I'd have a chance to become the first owner of a Painting like that and I went for it.

Every night before I go to bed I look at that painting. It's an image that stays with me long after I turn out the lights.

23. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Back in the late 80's when Dinos were going for $40-50K I saw an ad in the Detroit News that said "Three Ferraris" with a phone number. When I called the guy said that about 10-12 years earlier he installed some lifts at a car dealer. When the guy could not pay for anything he said the installer could just pick out some cars. He took 2 Dinos and a 308 as payment. For all these years the cars were hardly driven and had less than 25K miles on each. He said he had an offer for $50K for the two Dinos from a wholsaler. I told him I would give him $51K and he accepted. When I got over to see the cars, the wholesaler was there and mad. I wrote a check for $51K, which I would have to convince my banker to cover, and the cars were mine even though I really did not have the money.

The next day I sold the one I did not like as well to a guy I knew for $35K, so I had my Dino for $15K. One of the best buys I ever made!

24. TheUnlimitedClass

Apr 10, 2006
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    www.UnlimitedClass
    horse tooth lake outside of ft collins colorado. i tried to get a guy with a hot air balloon to lift it out off the rocks when they drained the lake a few years back. he flaked.

25. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    More of the story would be interesting but failing that how about posting a photo of the picture?
    Thanks.