Barn find.... today | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Barn find.... today

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davehelms, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    ++++1

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    TS, I am looking forward to one sunny weekend, reliving it by re reading it from the start. The fun part, there is far more, I am just catching up

Now folks can see why I felt compelled to tell this story. Kindness.... Im tellin ya it just kept coming and with no limits. I cant remember a harsh word spoken from anyone in our valley. Even when worked to the bone, construction folks were still quick with a nod and a smile.

I know Keegan is quietly reading along, do you remember any harsh issues we had to deal with.... that is aside from when the Fed's finally showed up?

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The return to the valley was without incident and provided a complete mood change to all involved. No longer were there concerns about having to endure 'real' hardships. The livestock needs were met, often before their owners were, Internet phone was now available from one of the rock quarry businesses up on top of Steamboat mountain, food needs were covered and there was a rationed supply of fuel for generators for those that had them. Almost on cue with the mood, the skies started clearing just enough that the Guard Helicopters were able to get airborne, a sight to behold for those of us that marvel at seeing Military aircraft overhead.

There is no question in my mind of the mood of Blackhawk pilots that morning! With all of our intersecting peaks and valleys, sounds from the air can be deceiving as to the location and direction. The hardest hit folks were above us in elevation, a few peaks away to the South West in a little town called Jamestown, loss of life and hardships were significant. Pinewood just above us was a terrible mess and was next on the list of those with real hardships. Both of these locations put us pretty much in the flight path of the Blachawks doing recon and those pilots have been stuck grounded, sitting on their hands with a weather ceiling measured in double digit feet. Days had been wasted and they were having nothing to do with that today, they were flying those birds like their asses were lit on fire. Rotor blades at full pitch in the thin air we have here, they sounded like a Ma Duce off in the distance, every second that could be made up, was, and then some! The flight plan was to have a pair of Blackhawks go in at the speed of heat, drop into the target valley and do low height flights to assess the risks and identify the best landing spot for the Chinnooks, nearest to population areas they could find.

Our valley is the one you read about as a kid. This is where the native American Indians would cut out a small herd of Bison and drive them over the edge of a cliff. Viewed from out on the plains the area looks flat but the elevation gradually increases near 6000 feet from Kansas to Steamboat Mountain, this is where the break off of the plates is first evident with 400-500 ft sheer cliffs. Native Americans had inhabited this valley for a very long time because of its unique geography. Due West of us by just a few miles is one of Colorado's Fourteeners, a hand full mountain peaks in excess of 14,000 feet tall, Longs Peak was our own. Weather patterns hit this tall peak and split in opposite directions, thus leaving us with weather very unique to Colorado. Apple Valley is one of, if not the longest growing seasons in all of Colorado. Mild weather year around, that is until a weather pattern stalls and its eye gets hung up on Longs Peak and just sits there and spins. Our other duzzy is when you hear the words upslope, when a weather pattern sails over the high peaks on the Divide, sinks as it hits the plains and then rolls backwards at low level and just churns on the front range. Heavy clouds and winds out of the East or North East, hunker down because we are in for a hard go! There is a third unique situation that the meteorologists are unaware of ... the "Keegan Factor", when he hits town you are due for a weather azz whoopin. Even tin foil hats fail to contain the gamma rays he projects... Mother Nature is simply uncontrollable when he lurks the neighborhood.

You can hear them coming for miles, the deep 'whoop, whoop' of the rotor blades clawing at thin air, always in pairs with a lead and his wingman, when they come sailing over the Messa of Steamboat mountain, then over our valley, they have to pull up hard because the western edge of the valley is where the Rockies go vertical. Looking like the fast movers ET sent in before the Mother Ship arrives, the Blackhawks saw a large group of folks standing at our meeting spot by the mailboxes and dropped into the Elen's and Todd's pasture just a dozen or two yards away, mistaking us for evacuees awaiting pick up. It escapes me now who the smart ass was that walked over to the pair of Blackhawks and asked them if they were lost and needed directions, all I remember is watching the door man fold up and near fall off the skids from laughter. Now with accurate recon from the ground, they were pointed to the opposite side of our valley that was cut off and unable to resupply, "those folks need out, we are OK here". Looking to a far away road on the North East side of our valley, we had been noticing groups of folks over there having their own meetings. Later we learned that they finally figured out our meeting times and coordinated their own meetings to match with ours. Someone that held high ground on a peak was tasked with accurately figuring out our meeting times and with the aid of a telescope, was able to share with these folks near all the news that was gathered by lip reading... WTH... We are going to need to get curtains now!

Now with the meds and oxygen that Bob and Lucy needed, I also saw this to be the window we had been looking for. The roads were good enough to pack them up, along with their dog, and get them the heck out of here! Earlier in the day Keegan had contacted their daughter when we got into cell range, Lucy had shared her phone number with Brian when we last saw them prior to our resupply trip into town. Overjoyed at the news that her folks were fine and were being looked after, the next call from Keegan was to tell her we have the ability to get them out and arrange a time to meet just outside the first check point into town. I drove Bob and Lucy's truck as Brian followed in my own. The Soldiers at the check point saw what we were doing and gave these two a Fine and Honorable farewell, it was a touching moment to watch, tears had welled up in Bob and Lucy's eyes after witnessing the destruction of the town that lies below their log home. Outside the first check point into town, I asked the Soldier permission to pull up on a grassy area so we could await Bob and Lucy's daughters arrival, "permission granted, with our compliments for getting these folks out". "It was only because of Your efforts we were able, quite a team we have going here!". Lucy insisted that they would be alright waiting alone. I can remember Keegan turning to Lucy and saying "we are waiting here until your daughter arrives, not for your good... but for our own! Imagine us going back and not knowing if she made it..... nope, your stuck with us for a little while longer".

4. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    LOL. A few weeks ago, I was looking at pictures of wrecked Ferraris on Copart.com, and my husband said, "I would feel less threatened if you were looking at pictures of naked men!"

5. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I am like the kid that drags a puppy home that was "lost and needs a good home". If it has a foul smell coming from the fuel tank and 4 wheels, I work hard on the slow sell to Kris. If it has a Meat Ball on the door... I will go as far as to sneak it in the garage and deal with the fallout when it happens. It is a sickness with no cure

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    This quote is priceless.Mind if I quote you on occasion. Regards tongascrew

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Your stories help shower away the years of P&R filth: I needed that.

8. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    Please feel free, TS. This was taught to me by my mentor, Peter Cook, when I was coming up through the Porsche service and restoration ranks.

9. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Well I feel as if I need to chime in here to confirm rumors, verify truths, comment on life changing experiences and to stand as a witness to Biblical destruction that prior to this surreal event I had only seen on the silver screen. I keep thinking of a quote from the 1984 movie Starman " Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your best when things are at their worst."
    Hollywood could not come up with a movie script that would even be in the same galaxy as the warm & fuzzy/drop you to your knees, pull yourself up by your boot straps, do unto others, All for One & One for All moments that were witnessed in the matter of a few days. No such thing as strangers, neighbors were instantly family. If you could do or give something, you did, no questions asked, no thought of compensation. Everybody gave anything and everything. Generators were passed around on a schedule, gas and gas jugs shared, homes were left unlocked so laundry could be done and hot showers be had, and not surprisingly, amazing gifts were left behind by very grateful people.

10. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    #685 4redude, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave is an amazing storyteller, but he pads the story a bit here and there. Let's see, where do I start? The Jeep trips over the mountain on goat trails where I was stuck in the back, I was not bouncing around like nighttime fighter jet landings on a carrier, I was practicing Jeep Gynmastics as Dave told me it was an Olympic event and the local chicks dig that sorta athletic type of guy.
    Next, since I had only moved there two weeks prior, he told everybody the rain was my fault as I must have packed a storm cell in the U-Haul Truck. Combined with the fact that I was born/raised in the Pacific NorthWET or Fungus Corner as it is affectionately called, that was enough to sell it, especially coming from a reliable source like Dave.
    I also stood out in the crowd at the meetings because of my wardrobe. I had just moved from Northern California and my storm gear consisted of a baseball cap, a hoodie, short pants and some flip flops. I told everyone I just came from California and I didn't know what to wear to a flood as it was my first one.
    Once we got into town for supplies, we went to the grocery store King Soopers for the fuel. Two pickups with the beds full of plastic gas jugs and four guys filling them in rotation. As Dave said, the pumps would only authorize $100 at a time. We occupied one side of an pump island for quite a while for this process. As Dave mentioned, once the pump shut off after the first $100, the attendant came out to the pumps before Dave could get his credit card out to re-authorize. He asked if we were from Lyons and we said yes. He said another customer had seen us and either overheard or assumed where we were from and had anonymously donated $100 for fuel. He had specified to the attendant that we not be told until after he left. Another moment to bring pause and a tear to the eyes of four grown men.

After the fueling, us four guys went into the grocery store to buy things on lists we were given. Apparently we screwed that up so bad, the next day four females were sent with us to town so they could shop while we did the fueling process. And.... we were all okay with that!

The first trip into town when we went to the Walgreens for several prescriptions as Dave described, I was never so happy to see a Walgreen's in my life! So this is what civilization looks like! I don't remember why I waited outside, but while I was standing there, a young mother and her son walked by and looked at the filthy muddy Jeep. The boy looked up at me and smiled and said "Right on...looks like you had fun!" I laughed and instinctively said "Yes we did!" After reflecting a moment, we really did. The trip over the mountain on the goat trails was slow and uncomfortable, but our mission was selfless & important, so yes it was fun! During this moment of reflection, I noticed a liquor store across the street. Let's just say I made good use of my time while Dave was telling stories to the pharmacists!

Delivering the fuel jugs and supplies from town was an amazing experience. Made ya feel like Santa Claus. People were standing two or three deep at the pickup bed hollering out names, waving cash and looking for supplies or groceries ordered. It was incredibly calm, polite and orderly. Everyone asked me how much they owed for their stuff, and I didn't have any accurate idea. I spotted Kris nearby in the crowd and called to her. I told everyone she was the CFO and all payments/donations were to be given to her. I was merely a delivery boy.
    During one of these busy delivery sessions, Dave hopped up in the truck bed and called a time out. We would be right back. He asked me aside and we jumped down out of the truck bed and walked over to the drivers door of the truck. He opened the door to show me a Ziploc bag siting on the center armrest. It contained a slice of pie, a fork and a note on the bag "You are awesome. Thank you!" We were both speechless and got watery eyes. I have them again now.
    You want a reality show? If we only had camera crews with us during this entire adventure.
    Survivor? You guys are amateurs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #686 davehelms, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was going on the third or fouth day when the National Guard finally made their way into our Valley. They had seen and heard on the military radio about some terrible conditions and suffering in other areas but once into our area, they were invited in and the conditions far different. As Keegan verified, there was not a lot of 'wanting' as most everyone sharing what ever they had, covered most every need. The convoys covered the rest. Now with Bob and Lucy out of harms way and back with family, my race car trailer generator could be shut down and shared with another needing its services, their freezer and fridge emptied and those goods placed on the table at the mail boxes, given to those running short. Kris eyed the Turkey, pulling me aside she said that she would put that on the grill and we should tell everyone who had been eating cold dinners under candle light, they were all invited over for a hot shower and a warm meal.

The winter before we had run into an upslope winter storm that had dumped a good 30+ inches of snow in our Valley, each weekend for 4 in a row. Although Brian was not here at the time, I had spoken with him daily... I am sure there is some means where he can be blamed for this weather occurrence. After the 4th day in a row without power, things were edging around the 40 degree temperature in the house. With radiant floor heat, just a few more degree drop in temp would have us chiseling up all of the concrete floor to replace all the water lines in it. Craigslist once again.... a stoned hippie (remember, it is Boulder, what else would you expect to find here) went out to buy a generator for her food truck, that specializing in munchies for the bar closing time, and bought an atom smasher that would light up a small car lot. Quickly realizing that she couldnt take orders over the noise this generator made, onto CL it went, for half price, with 5 hrs run time. Having no time to wire a proper emergency back up generator cross over circuit before the pipes would freeze, I did it how Stroker McGerk would, with what was on hand.

Doubled up 12/3 NM wire from the generator to the welder outlet in the garage, the master breaker turned off outside, most of the breakers in the house box turned off and fire her up. The ground shakes when this lump starts but back feeding the house breaker box through the welder outlet.... worked pretty damn nice. Most anything we wanted to run we were able and of course about 20 minutes after I had this whole Rube Goldberg affair wired up, the power came back on. Stashed back in the corner of the garage for a few years, long enough for the fuel to get that funk smell that alerts my senses that something cool is near, sure enough it has 4 wheels but none of them with spokes yet a welcome sight none the less. That ground pounder generator lit up the whole house nicely, along with the hot water heater, well pump, TV, Satellite.... The invite was made at the afternoon meeting that the "First Annual Flood Dinner and a Shower" party was at Dave and Kris' house this evening, bring something, bring nothing, come on along. As our house is within eyesight of the meeting place I only had to point the direction, folks were sure to find it in time.

There are some proper Ladies that live in our valley, the type that dress to the 9's, with full make up just to go feed the livestock. Never caught dead outside the house, never unprepared for a trip to Denver for a top shelf shopping event. This evening, those hard fast rules would be broken and many new friends would be made. A stack of towels was set at the top of the stairs while Kris finished the bird on the grill. I was pouring a marginal blended Scotch less the ice as the refrigerator never ran long enough, wine... both a good Merlot and a young white wine, while Keegan and Larry preped to carve the bird.

Once never before seen outside the house looking their best, Ladies were gliding down the stairs with a towel wrapped around their head in a sweat suit saved for doing house work... and a grin that damn near shattered their cheek bones. Standing at the bottom of the stairs was Todd, Ellens husband, a highly regarded Louisville Cop, with both arms outreached, one with a glass of white wine, the other with Merlot.... normally taken for granted, this evening it amounted to the stuff dreams were made of. Turkey hot off the grill, a hot shower and a glass or 5 of wine, no one gave a hoot what anyone else looked like. Some three thousand gallons of water in one evening, hot showers... ladies first, the guys didnt mind having to use a wet towel when all things were said and done. Christy had to make an emergency trip to her house for extra wine, Todd to his for a back up bottle of good Scotch, normally saved for the first pour of the evening. Both houses in eye sight of our own, albeit a good half mile away, we reassured Todd that a DUI was not likely this evening.... aside from John who was already questionable to walk down the drive and across the road to his house, he himself was the only other active duty LE in the area and Larry being retired PD, was busy cutting up the bird with Keegan

"Here's to being stranded and Roughin it, Blue Mountain style" was the toast, followed by a promise to make this a yearly event. Just a break from the bleak surroundings we had to once again deal with at sun up, that evening proved a mood adjuster for all. I would hazard a guess that there were between 20-30 people attending the festivities. Kris has been known to put on a pretty nice party, this would stand as the high bar point for some time to come.

Dont let Keegan try to fool you... he was attempting to accessorize his shorts and flip flops in the days preceding our event, in an attempt to fit in where no one would notice he was from CA... something you dont openly admit to when up in the hills here!

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Just a Joe related update to bring things back on track with the thread...

I had a visit the day before yesterday from a delightful pair of Ladies, one a case worker from Housing and Human Services, Adult protective services, and the other a Boulder Detective, both investigating Kris and myself for taking advantage of an elderly man, our very own Joe. How's that for a WTF moment?!

As they say, no good dead ever goes unpunished. As I stated from the begining of our adventure, nothing related to Joe ever goes as expected, never did, I see no reason to expect that will change. More to follow as I regain my ability to talk about this in a civilized and rational manner.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Gizmag site has an interesting article about a barn find. Four warehouses full of Arturo's motorcycles and auto related things that sold last month. Good thing I did not know

14. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson
    You're kidding, right? Case of civil servants not seeing the full picture? Been there unfortunately.

Hope you can work it out and not take this as a blow in the gut

15. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Geez, after all you've done for Joe, overzealous government nanny. I wonder what the genesis of the visit was? Someone say something? Too bad good people can't look out for someone.

16. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I am sorry to hear that, Dave.

17. Vince Collins

Vince Collins Rookie

Nov 5, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Vince Collins
    Have them read this entire thread.........

18. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

DITTO !

Regards,

Ramin

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #694 davehelms, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    I suspect someone pointed the finger at us for it to go where it did. Complete incompetence in the medicare system kept Joe from getting accepted for months, they simply couldn't see a checked box on the application. Once is a mistake, 4 times amounts to Darwin being proved incompetent himself. I didnt leave many friends behind in the accounting dept back at the retirement apartment complex Joe lived in. I fought them pretty hard on issues that folks in this position normally walk away from. I did it on principal, not reward because it amounted to a few hundred dollars that bought Joe some new cloths. Much lying and cherry picking belongings we left behind for the residents that put up with Joe's crap, never made it to the residents unless Kris and I handed it to them.... and management was not the least bit happy with us doing that! Word someone is leaving travels like hell fire in a retirement home, a 4 minute mile is possible in a walker, I have seen it now! They are not used to this, normally a distraught family is happy to just walk away.... and then pay the myriad of bills that follow..... but $8 for a take out banana 2 months ago...... really.... get the hell out....?!

That explanation still doesn't hold water because of the timeline, I would rather not believe the other two options, both that offer a logical bread crumb trail. When my life slows a bit, I will follow that trail and see where it leads. At this point we just had 'Joe Version 10.9K' that fell into our lives and I need to focus intently on that until it is resolved in its entirety.

After a long discussion with explanations that cleared up why and how.... and a light hearted offer 'to give Joe back' if they wanted to cover the remainder of his funeral arrangements Kris and I have accepted, then things turned the corner. Really it was a matter of just telling them the full story, not one that paperwork shows a snap shot version of. At first I didn't understand why they were so stern faced... I should have been told I can have a lawyer present..... As stated, they were really delightful Ladies, vastly more so once their opinions changed from us being a couple of predators... but after what, Joe had nothing of value to speak of. Jason and I held back half of the money I paid Joe for the 330 and were able to stretch that for years of Joe's living expenses his SS didn't cover. Surely that could have been misunderstood by folks not knowing the full picture but no one else knew we were doing that with good intent and the knowledge of Joe and his finantial habits. If left to Joe, he would have burned through that in a few weeks, its how Joe lived, "for the moment". I made sure he always had 500-600 cash on hand for walking around money but that was the problem, he walked around with all of it, no matter how hard we tried to convince him to leave it behind in his apartment. "What the Hell Joe, are you buying hookers, you are burning up money?" "Oh No, I dont need to do that......Dont worry about me, I am a Tai Chi Master and I can whoop......", regardless of the outcome, I bet old Joe would have shocked a would be attacker... or left them peeing themselves when all 115 pounds pulled up into the crane position... and then caught himself tipping over!

The care of the elderly is a well oiled system, one designed to burn up every single penny of savings at the speed of heat, before Medicare kicks in. When it comes to advanced nursing care, that is where the real finely tuned accounting starts. Billings just happen to match a bank account balance, plus $200 a month... until medicare kicks in, then the billing magically becomes SS minus $50 a month to live large on, that only because the law demands it. Want a method to print money.... this is it, its all legal, no rent control rules apply here. Dad did it right, "Your screwed, at 89 I lived too long"... we used to laugh hard about that! He took good care of my second mother and made sure she wont be wanting for much, as it should be, now its her job to burn through it prior to reaching this point in life, leaving with $5 in her purse if she does it right. Joe did but THEN he said he wanted to be buried in KS... "awh hell Joe, really... your killin me here", road trip....

20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #695 davehelms, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Two 8x8's now across the river with a number of troops, the job became one to access the damage and upcoming risks that might be faced. The locals had already verified a head count and all were well and accounted for. The damage was severe but that is material, lives were intact.

The Commanding Officer, now with a somewhat deflated ego, he had a choice to either suck it up and state 'well, that didn't work so well' or attempt to cover it up by barking orders... he chose the later. Knowing Barry and Merle had been busting their backsides for the entire day without stopping, Kris and Christy once again fired up the grill and made some 25 hamburgers from ground beef rescued from Bob and Lucy's freezer. Barry and Merle more than had that coming but the two ladies were forward thinking enough that they figured the Guard men wouldn't mind a hot meal at the same time. Carrying a whole platter of burgers, Brian following with a cooler load of water and beer, the two excavation experts finally shut down for a few minutes and took a break. Offering up burgers to the Guard men proved another matter. They were under orders to only eat military meals while on duty.... until the Officer decided he should find another group of men to bark orders to, ones that had not witnessed his knucklehead blunders here. Something as simple as a burger and a beer, Christy and Kris owned that evening by just keeping their eyes open to a need, the platter and cooler emptied out in a blink.

The 10AM meeting the next morning was more one of a social event than a supply event. Needs had been met already, supplies restocked and all immediate requirements dealt with. It was a jovial mood this time around, a delightful change of pace. The lists were made, now containing things that were luxuries rather than requirements. Again, working when lights were a requirement long before sun up, Barry and Merle were now yards away from having a finely manicured road to the other side of the valley, complete with the original bridge intact, the original culvert unplugged and functioning, and for good measure an emergency spillway with 2 more 6 ft culverts so a washout wouldn't happen again. These two are not 'good', they were incredible, a goat path would have been well received but these two were thinking out of the box and making a master piece. We could see a group of neighbors forming on the other side awaiting completion where they could join our meeting, as long as we had nothing on our list that amounted to emergency supplies, it was decided to wait until these folks could join us, surely they were dealing with some serious shortages by this point.

One of the folks from the far side was partially deaf and could lip read quite well. He had been assigned to the telescope and could then repeat to the folks over there, what was being said at our meetings. They got quite a chuckle out of some of our conversations over the last few days. Being as the Chinooks were able to pluck a good many out of that area, there were many freezers to empty and shared supplies went quite a ways to everyones needs being met. Houses were simply left open as Brian stated earlier, anyone came and went from the evacuees homes, with notes left on kitchen tables of what was taken, and by who.... "neighbors", trust was a given and no one was disappointed in the end.

For the life of me I cant remember her name, maybe Brian will, she was a little tiny gal in her late 50's, she was dealing with a different type of need, one that was emotional more than material. I will call her Jane for the lack of a proper name, she came up to me when we were taking notes of what folks from the far side needed. "Might you have an extra generator over here? My husband is stuck in NY and trying to get home but so far he has been unable. I am going crazy all alone without a light or a functioning coffee pot". As simple as asking, I had the race car trailer generator taken down from Bob and Lucy's house, which had been in use by a number of other neighbors following their departure, those folks now choosing to pack it up once they were able to drive themselves out. "Sure do, Brian and I will bring it up this afternoon when we return from town, what else can we bring you back?" Her needs were simple and few but the knowledge she would have a simple light, a cold fridge and a cup of coffee in the morning, while waiting for her husbands return... its the little things that make a difference.

Check point one had a whole different look this morning, folks buzzing about but still with the regular faces we had grown to know.... but with one extra wearing a suit coat.... "looks like the Feds are here". I shut down the truck and got out to greet the new addition properly. "You know, you leave and you dont return, this is evacuation ONLY". I took a few minutes to show our young FEMA friend our passes and told of what we were doing and why. "I dont care what deals you had before, I am in charge now and my new rules are what is being followed, leave and you dont come back". The patience and calming effect that I had learned so well from Joe, now was needed to an extreme to deal with this situation! Calmly I turned to the young man and asked "Son, are you armed?" "No, why do you ask?" "You best be if you think you are keeping any of us from our families upon our return... just a suggestion... can we get any of you anything when in town? Coffee, soda, anything?" The answer was always No, they were under orders to eat only what the military supplies them while on duty.... plus the Butterfinger I smuggle in daily for the young Nebraska soldier who had been manning check point 1 for a number of days now, Diet Pepsi is what the Iowa soldier fancied at Check Point 2. The handoff would have to be clever this time around, I had really pissed off the Nerd by my suggestion. Hey, at least I said it calmly!

21. gavin

gavin Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Gavin
    Dave Enjoying your story. It is so great to have Joe & your family back with my morning coffie. You are great writer and a good man. The best wishes to all of you. Gavin

22. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    My weekly subscription to this thread falls short these days. I don't need a daily subscription, I just keep a tab open and update when time allows. Dave, thanks so much for sharing your excellent narrative.

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    "You know, you really twagged that 'suit' this morning, but we have not seen him for the remainder of the day" I surely had expected that there would be trouble after calling out the FEMA guy this AM but the Guard boys had told him we were all armed, with all of us being either CCW or a Cop...... and that CO law allows anyone to carry loaded in a car. It was merely a bluff as we had our old route over the mountain we could use to get back and this newest batch of folks didn't know anything about it. "Im from the Federal Government and I am here to help".... I never saw that young guy again over the next few days, maybe he lost the suit and went about bossing folks in disguise but he never poked his finger at us again until passes were given to everyone a few days later.

Returning to the valley, Brian, Dave and John went about distributing supplies like they were perfectly tuned 'paid shoppers' while I took the generator up to 'Jane', who like Joe, lived to hell and gone on top of our little mountains here. First running an extension cord out the screen door, later modified to running out a screened window to keep wildlife outside and wild, it really did amount to the small things making all the difference. Jane panicked when I shut everything down and unplugged it all to re route the extension cord after realizing the flaw in my initial design. She admitted she was a bit frazzled with all the happenings and I invited her down for an evening if she felt the want for some company.

I brought with me a fresh gallon of milk, hooked up a desk light, the fridge and the coffee pot.... you would have thought she had been given a room at the Waldorf. I left soon after and promised to return with Brian and some extra fuel for the generator. I had to remind myself that these folks had it a good bit tougher than we did, they have been without outside contact and with no resupply for a number of days longer than we had. No where near as tight knit a group as on our lower elevation side of the valley, Jane had been alone and scared for the better part of a week, not knowing what was happening and when it would return to normal. She had a delightful couple living up the hill further that were checking in on her on a regular basis but they too had no idea what was happening, only that they had no way out. Now making more sense on why she was as frazzled as she was, I made the promise that Brian and I would check in on her multiple times a day and see if she had any needs...."make me a shopping list and we will get anything needed on tomorrows run to town". A simple reassurance was all that was required where what was on hand would prove to be just fine. Jane had very wisely rationed her food and water while she was alone... she was going to be just fine once a little Keegan humor was thrown in.

Returning to the mailboxes, much of the crowd had dispersed already. I was approached by one of the ladies who dresses in sequins to feed, this one if I am not mistaken was an actress on the old "Dallas" series and a few others following JR getting his ass plugged. I had heard she moved into the Valley but had never had the pleasure of meeting her prior... based on her looks and age.... there was no debating she had what it took to be an actress and the age worked about right for that series! "My husband just made it back from a meeting in NY and has not been able to get past the Check Points, they keep turning him back, might you and Brian be able to help?" "Is he wearing his NY attire or his ranching gear?" "He just got off the plane from a meeting in Manhattan, I assume he is wearing a coat and tie" "Well... there is your problem... (ruthlessly plagiarizing Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame, presenting the line as best I can copy Adam), have him stop by the Ranch Supply store and get some jeans and a tee shirt, the wing tips will be fine if he stays in the truck" Living high enough up the mountain, and having line of sight into surrounding towns, on occasion she had cell service and was able to contact her husband.

"I told my husband that he could recognize you and Brian by one with a twisted up dirty cowboy hat and the other in shorts a flip flops... and he is to use the code words 'the Fed's suck'. I dont know.... maybe its an actress thing... cant really see anyone walking up to a stranger and starting a conversation in this type of manner, using those words... Yah, that's it, it has to be a Hollywood thing with this 'secret agent code word' stuff... but she at least had Brian and I pegged, the hat was ready for retirement after better than a week of it keeping the rain off my neck... and someone in flip flops in this area... I had to give her that one, THAT most certainly stands out deep in Rattle Snake Country, even without the Spur's on!

24. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #699 davehelms, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Kris and Christy had learned that if they held a cell phone to their right ear and leaned the phone and themselves against the east window in Christy and Gary's bedroom, occasional cell coverage could be had. Kris put a call out to Jenni to give her a short update on our condition and the current happenings.

I was able to have Keegan make a short call out to Jen on one of our supply runs to town, she now knew we were OK but terribly busy doing our shopping trips. The following call was to George with the Vintage Car Sales shop in town, Keegan giving him an update and the all clear that his inventory was all high, dry and safe.

Jenni had finally made it into the shop once some of the roads in the area opened up. It was a convoluted route getting there, one detour led to the next and then the next again but after a few hours time to travel what normally was a half hour drive, she made it to the shop. The first relief was that the flood waters stopped short of the shop by a hundred yards or so. Richard worked across the street at Ball Aerospace and had worked his way down from the mountains into work one day, getting word to Jenni that all was OK, seeing it for herself still amounted to a big relief!

Following Kris giving an update to Jen, reality set in when Jen reminded us that the 120 Jag Roadster was not yet finished and the Colorado Grand was now a day away. The brake hydraulics were all rebuilt and sitting on the work bench, the rear suspension was all rebushed but still sitting on the bench next to the one containing the brake parts. The front suspension was all in place but just left hanging with a few bolts loosely threaded in place when the events kept us from getting to the shop to finish it.

Her back against the wall with an amount of work normally figured at some 2 to 3 days, Jenni called up Niki who was dealing with her own flood mess to clean up. "The Grand is a day away and the Jag is scattered all over the shop work benches... I sure could use a hand over here!" Niki was well versed in the 120 Jag, she had helped prep it for the Grand event for years prior, but this time major mechanical assembly was going to be done by two sisters in half the time normally set aside for such repairs.

Paint marks were checked, double and triple checked and all fasteners verified to be tight prior to the test drives starting to bed in all 4 corners of new drum brakes. For those not aware of the fine points of said drives, sixty to zero with increasing brake pedal pressure as the shoes start bedding in. Knowing that Carl would be flogging the snot out of the English lump, on the steep mountains roads, with no guard rails... the bed in needed to be done prior to the event, not during. You know you are making progress when the first push of the brake pedal goes right to the floor with nothing happening, and then the second pump producing a little bit of feel, with the third giving something resembling a regular brake pedal feel.

Two ladies out bedding brakes in a light mist, with no top... Carl has a rule, no top, even when hitting a snow storm in a mountain pass... no top, in a fully restored vintage Jaguar Roadster, a day following an epic event level flood on roads for the most part, impassable... somewhat a surreal sight one might suggest. Niki had remembered to bring with the 7/16 BS wrench for adjusting the brake shoes but forgot the 1/4 BW wrench for bleeding the brakes along the way. Pulling over Jen told Niki we have to bleed these, there is too much air to get a good feel of the bed in. Just about that time a homeowner straight across the street from where the girls pulled over, came out to ask if he could lend a hand, helping save these two young ladies and earning extra points in the process. "Might you have a 3/8" wrench, that should be close enough to this damn Wentworth crap this car uses"! Sliding under the rear of the car on the side of a wet road, Niki shouts out the commands to Jenni sitting in the drivers seat while trying to explain to a bewildered wrench owner why they are out driving a precious car, in the rain, with the top down, after a flood, with most roads closed. "Hold it closed, I need to top off the master" comes the command from Jen to Niki.

Carl was sent on his way about 9:30 that evening, Jenni and Niki completing the impossible task of not only assembling the car, but fully bedding the brakes in and touch up redye of the interior. In the process they managed to completely deflate the ego of a nice young man left holding a wrench on the side of the road, still with clean hands, shown a proper method of bleeding and adjusting drum brakes he didn't know even existed.

Carl has a second rule, to be the last one in to the Colorado Grand pre launch festivities, this time assisted by the final suspension paint mark checks being done by Jenni and Niki. A promise was made that Carl would stop each hour, on the hour, to call both girls and alert them to any problems and his progress on the 4 hour drive from Boulder to Vail. "Problems, how could there be any problems, you two just restored the whole brake system... there wont be any problems!" "For crying out loud, Carl..." "I dont hear you..." as he drove away. Now for the first time my two daughters know the feeling of sending a driver out on the track after finishing repairs on the car, on the grid, with the hood being closed just after the 'Two minute notice' is made by the grid steward. Carl skipped the first call to be made on the hour, no different than the blasted driver not responding to my radio call on the warm up lap..... "sorry ladies, I was having too much fun and just....." "Damn you Carl, do you know what that does to us when we dont hear from you......."

Yup, now they know what the drop of the green flag feels like...... with an untested car on the track driving in anger, fighting for position in turn one! An empty, helpless feeling it is!

25. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I wish I was as cool as your girls!