Barn find.... today | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Barn find.... today

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davehelms, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #51 davehelms, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually, the engine sounded quite good given it was running on sprayed brake clean and WD40 Only. Good enough where repairing the fuel system is justified to just drive it up and down the street and get a good feeling how the drivetrain is.

Hah.. where this guy lives, no registration is required what so ever. Law Enforcement is done the old fashioned way and not required in those parts.

Interior shots for those that asked.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Anyone want to hazard a guess what was mounted on the center console?

I sure dont remember anything there but the inprints in the leather show it was very close to the same profile as the tunnel itself.

3. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wow.

I hope the economics conspire to save this car. She should live on with her owner's story.

Great stuff, Mr. Helms.

Edit: I'd be happy to come out and rub Leatherique on the seats and sweep the garage for a week, free of charge, if it would help the cause.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That interior looks pretty good. I imagine it would clean up okay-- maybe better than okay.

I'm guessing it was a fire extinguisher mounted to the tunnel?

5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, I am purple with envy.

Bring a baby like that back and you've have to love it forever...

-- Alex

6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Please,please,please..don't restore that interior.
    A gentle clean and polish will do.

Like mine,it's 48 years young.

7. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I am a Leatherique Master!!!!

I will come too!

So much fun!

I'm serious. I would love to clean up her old leather. :)

I, too, vote to NOT restore the leather. Keep it original, Dave. Leatherique will do wonders with it. :)

8. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

What a great story and what a lovely car.
    I love the interior, not half as bad as I'd expected.
    Looks like it can be cleaned/treated to look great and have some patina on it?
    The best leather is used/maintained for decades.

So the interior can be saved (needs new carpets I guess) and the engine is running. How is the body?
    Any missing parts?

Good luck in getting this great V12 classic on the road again! And please put all the pictures and updates here. :)

9. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    Great project and one with extra meaning. Congrats and keep the photos coming.
    (And thanks for the help with my 308 plug wires. I can't wait to get her back on the road!)
    Chip

10. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #60 davehelms, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    With the exception of the gray primer spots, it is original paint and interior, neither of which has seen the light of day in 25+ years.. IF I can find the rear 1/4 side panels maybe the leather could be saved, at least for stage 1... if there is such a thing.

I am torn between a want to present this car back to the old man looking handsome, if not restored, and allowing him some time with it to rekindle memories. Restoring it properly is option 2 but we come back to the economics thing again, with option 3 being cutting my losses and headaches, making a quick profit yet letting it fall to the fate of a Sawzall.

The wise Money is on option 3 and it would save me from wasting a weekend crawling around in a snake den on top of a mountain. On that point there is NO question, the economics alone show the obvious direction because we are a For-Profit business, and I hate snakes!

It's not a 'Important car' (except to those wanting replica's), he's not a big name Important guy, I'm not of the means where I can willy nilly fund these types of things, there are a host of reasons why this wish of mine is... stupid, in simple terms. Yet there is this nagging gut feeling that doing that is the right thing to do... why? I have no idea, maybe its because of the help his neighbors have freely given him, an honor to those good folks whom this story is all about. An old Ferrari, an old man, and neighbors who did the 'right' thing just 'cause.

The long term fate of the car can be decided later, for the time being there are other pressing matters to deal with. Getting it to the point of bare bones driving again will allow me to accurately access the overall drive train health. Regardless of its fate, that is still giving the car added value while not going backwards on my current investment. It may have a spare race car fuel cell laying in the trunk for a gas tank, that isn't the first time that has happened as a Triage repair. IF it drives, its only another few weekends work to hang bumpers and misc bits back on, wash the windows, polish up some old leather, mooch carpet remnants from my upholsery guy (we are doing a 246 in exactly the same color carpets now), trailer it back to the mountains and follow through on honoring some pretty good folks.

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    TONS of missing trim, door jam bits, etc. Those parts are what my weekend snake hunt search is focused on. These are all the small bits that are fairly easily replaceable because so many of these have been rebodied. All of the trim came off for the 'planned' repaint and all I have to do is find those boxes. I will take photo's of what I am up against in finding those boxes... a daunting task it will be.

The body is nice. Looks like a past light tap in the rear above the bumper but the alloy skins and frames of the lids are still in very nice shape, as is the rear body support frame. Both floor pans have the regular soft spots in the rear seat area. Everything forward of the rear of the doors is wonderful, even the doors are rock solid with no rust present. Jenni did a quick clean out yesterday over her lunch hour and I was quite pleased at what we are now seeing. Giving it a hair cut of sorts showed some pleasant surprises.... and some 'what the hell were you thinking' encounters.

Mechanically, its entirely intact and completely unmolested... the first Virgin I have seen in decades. Only thing missing in the engine bay is the header heat shields and the fuse box covers and he 'knows where those are in the house'. I'm not sure it doesnt still have the original exhaust system on it!

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Please do not cut this car up.

Amazing story.

Save the car, they are only original once.

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thread of the month!

Lovely story, good on you for taking this project on even if it doesn't make sense. If you feel good about it, that's all that matters.

As for the interior: I've been told that if you take off the leather, wrap it in aluminum foil and lay it out in the sun, the heat will sweat out the dirt.

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #64 davehelms, Jun 1, 2012
    Sometimes doing things that don't make sense...... does, strange as that sounds. Mine is but a mere bit part in the story.

A photo that shows the rewards of the old man's efforts perched on the side of a cliff, and the true, real life hero in my eyes. This is the Fireman, his young daughter and his infant son in the stroller. This is the Team who has graciously watched over and helped the old man for some time now. It is this Family that I want recognized, they are the ones that brought back the meaning of the word "Neighbor". This weekend I will try to get their permission's to at least call them by first name, publicly.

15. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Dave, whats your hourly rate? I'd like to donate an hour of your time to this project - I will more than get back its value on many levels just reading about how you get along. You can call bill it as consultancy (which you actually already gave me a short while back talking chassis coolant hose replacement for my GT4, so consider it overdue).

Dont argue, as you yourself said you are only a part of this whole thing, and now that you posted we are too, so no reason we can do our bit.

Guy

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #66 BigTex, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    There was once those little plastic bin trash cans, held down with lead shot bases....might leave a mark like that???

Good luck on the hunt for parts, Dave........I could send up a box of King snakes, they clear out rattlers pretty quickly.
    Seriously, may just lots of noise will send them on.......

I spoke to my friend at Mustang last evening, watching Mike Stinson and Two Tons of Steel, in the cool night air ....he agreed that the owner of Mustang Power Products might well be interested in resto of the CAT dozer. I think my older brother the banker, knows him..if converting that machine to cash would help, let me know.

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #67 davehelms, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    That is very kind Guy but... I cant do that. One day I hope to profit from the car which would make such a thing unacceptable. The offer is very gracious all the same and if I hit a road block in my quest to put the original owner back in the seat, that I am not able to overcome myself, only then would I consider such a thing and only to that end. Now... if that Crazy Blampeman stops by again... I can assure you he will be thrown a towel and put to work bringing back a shine for the reunion.

Yesterday we have the privilage to become a sponsor to a wonderful car/plane/motorcycle show locally. More on this later but... we had pledged a portion of the SRI proceeds to this cause and it is all of the Ferrari owners that made this happen. Morgan Adams Childhood Cancer Foundation has put on a show that has become an incredible event for an incredible cause, and it is Kris and my intent to bring the old man to this show. Being a WWII vet, with all the old Warbirds there, the incredible cars that are shown... With the reunion of him with the car planned before this show... and then the show itself.... I am quite sure there will be sensorary overload on his part.

Everyones suggestions about keeping the original interior.... oh, that got us looking at this in a different light! Sometimes the dust is so thick and the project so vast, the blinders get pulled in too tight. At that point suggestions like this really help to clear the dust out of our eyes. My uphosterer will cuss you all when I have him look into replacing bolster panels, matching grains, matching dye... He has his own set of troubles in his life right now and I think I will keep your suggestions to myself until his life is in order... I can accurately predict the answer if I hit him with that right now.

An encoraging developement yesterday when the the Firefighter called me and said he located a large box bits he thinks is for the car while searching in the house. "Does the car get a PeneFerene badge? I found that and a whole bunch of small chrome pieces in one box in a room connected to the garage" The day is shaping up already if all of the missing small pieces are in one single spot. Finding the large bits.... that will be a lot easier. "Bring with any battery opperated cut off's you have... we have some impossibly big locks to cut today. Even if the keys can be located, these locks havent been opened in decades and they are sure to be frozen"... so much for easy... and I cant find my leather legging gators.

Digging through one of the sheds on the initial search, located the tool bag. Filthy but very intact and for the most part, quite nice. Void of all tools... those are yet to be located. This discovery, in a shed on the otherside of the property, alongside both already refinished bumpers and one rocker panel trim piece... yes, this car is spread everywhere.

There was such a wide arrary of missing pieces that Jenni decided to print out a duplicate parts book, grab up a highlighter and go page by page highlighting every item number missing on each Tav. Her great idea will make this a good deal easier as I can cross off each highlit item number as it is located. More pics of that search this evening...

Nope, this had something mounted by the center screw. Very tastefully done, with original type hardware, not hardware store panhead screws.

Alas, as much as I "Need" to have that Cat... for reasons still unknown to me.... IF it has any value other than that of scrap metal, I would want to find a buyer and get the proceeds in the hands of the old man. The driver sitting out in the open... behind the back end of the tracks.... that looks like a bet/dare gone bad, a must have if only for a lawn ornament. ...and if Kris reads this, I wont see a dinner in a month... she would have to warm up to the idea slooowly!

18. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    There is such an incredible book in this story. And, its only tangentially about Ferraris.

-The Owner, an exemplar of the pioneer spirit, who served his nation , carved his "log Taj Mahal" out of rattlesnake dens, and bore true faith to his own piece of Ferrari history.

-The Fireman, one of a dying breed of men for whom being a good citizen is more than buying the Girl Scout cookies and waving to the neighbors, more than a political statement.

-The Mechanic, the mad scientist who's the struggling patron saint of shade tree Ferrari mechanics (as opposed to a name brand on the Concours circuit.). Anyone that carries a US Passport and knows the difference between olio motore and olio ricambi knows the name Dave Helms.

Yeah, a great book about extraordinary, passionate people. Plus, a pretty neat car.

bergxu likes this.
  19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #69 davehelms, Jun 2, 2012
    The man... a distant cousin to Abe Lincoln, EE for Westinghouse, not Motorola as I stated earlier, a Tai Chi Master still practicing at his current age.... Today I spent an hour or two searching for bits and 3-4 hours doing nothing else but sitting under a tree or in his house chatting..... about anything at all. I finished this wonderful day with a strange feeling of fulfillment, everything was right and good. It started about an old car but grew to anything but just that. Spending a day with an absolutely wonderful man I have the honor to call a friend, in this setting.... and calling it 'work'.... please!

The lot.... change my prior estimate of a 200 ft cliff to 800 ft with a breath taking view sitting at 9000 feet with the distant Continental Divide mountains, and tree line, looking near the same height as we were.. The man has Taste in cars and homesteads! Hummingbirds as thick as MN mosquitoes!

The roads leading to his house.... if there was ever a road designed and built with a Ferrari in mind... we have it right here! Best be on your game as there is a lack of guard rails that can draw your attention away from the task at hand.

bergxu likes this.
  20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #70 davehelms, Jun 2, 2012
    bergxu likes this.
  21. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    After having to get a restraining order against my own neighbor just yesterday (yup, really), this is quite the redemptive story I've been craving. :)

Dave, kudos to you, to him and to this man's fine neighbors for being the good folks we should all be. I look forward to every update of this project, particularly the human ones that make it so special. This Ferrari is pretty neat but it's the story behind it that's so amazingly cool! Cheers.

22. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Just a wonderful, heartwarming story. I, too, value and appreciate what the Marines of WW2 went thru, esp in the Pacific. It's great to know the gentlemen's neighbors have stepped up, also....

Remember: "When the student is ready, the teacher appears...."

Car looks better and better with each post. Go with your gut and make sure he gets another drive.....

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I wish I had the gift of using words in a proper manner but alas, I do not, rambling babble will have to do. At the risk of sounding like a flake, I am just telling this man's story as I see and feel it. Finding the car and these fine folks was special, to share that experience with my father and daughter just put it over the top. As I stated before, if it would have been easy and all together, I would have missed an adventure that is unfolding and playing out in directions I would have never imagined. The truck / trailer / car / and people, sliding down the steep dirt road... it didnt go over the cliff, so far things are working out.

I have been doing this for 41 years and have picked through more dark garages and barns for hidden treasures than I can begin to remember. While back in MN, Dad and I came up with cars that locals and neighbors never knew existed. I have chased special cars for decades, one from MN to Alaska to find them sitting in the mountains of Colorado. All were special in their own regards, the CanAm car that set the Riverside track record before the track closed, Jimmy Clarks 1964 Players 200 Canadian Gran Prix drive, that through a turn of events years later, my father was associated with when his boss at Honeywell during the Apollo project, campaigned the car...... this one is special in a whole different way.

As others have stated, this one has the human aspect that far over shadows the importance of the car, Fred and RVL summed it up far better than I could ever have. Given the state of the world right now, the time is right to tell a story of the extraordinary folks I have been privileged to meet in this adventure. Gut feeling's have, and will continue to play a major role in how things have unfolded.

Something made Jenni state "There is NO way this car is getting cut up, we are bringing it back" once she heard it run, if for only a moment. At the time I just shook my head and thought... Oh, if you only knew what you were saying. The smart money would obviously be allowing it to the fate of the Sawzall, no headaches, a quick profit, I would have my much needed weekend back rather than cutting locks, digging through trailers, re stacking lumber piles to make room for Joe to use his garage once again... That simply was not meant to be, Jenni was Spot On with her statement, this car is being brought back. Why? I have no idea, but so far our gut has led us in the right direction here, I see no good reason to start questioning that. Fred stated it very well, I am strangely comfortable with being the Student right now.

24. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #74 davehelms, Jun 3, 2012
    Yes the road was steep but the driveway straight ahead..... Pulling a trailer up this road was a challenge to say the least, going up the drive, that was simply impossible. Yes, there is a cliff at the top of the drive, best not miss that turn!

How do you power heavy steel 14" speakers mounted on the back package shelf? Build a vacuum tube switching box to cut in an amp I have yet to locate. Not a single hole was drilled for this stereo install, even the speaker mounting area was completely intact.

25. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Fantastic story Dave, well done