Barn find.... today | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Barn find.... today

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davehelms, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Well said. Wholeheartedly agree.

Dave - I hope you take the time to record more of the story and the ways in which you all learned from all the experiences - even if you do not share it here. Committing it to some sort of permanent record just seems appropriate.

Thanks for letting this group share in some of those experiences.

My thoughts are with you, your family, and all the lives that Joe touched in his special way.

Curtis

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My deepest condolences, Dave. Joe was awesome. We need more people like him, and like you, Dave. Thanks for the story, and thanks for the updates. Keep it going if you can. Best, from São Paulo.

3. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Dave, thank you for the update. Joe knew right away you & Kris were right for this mission, from start to finish. You relieved Joe of any worry or concerns about his last days so he could focus on the fun stuff! It was a roller coaster ride of emotions, one you and your family will never forget. And neither will the rest of us who read this.
    This would make a great movie, better than the lotsa crap coming outta Hollywood currently. You could even write the script, hell you already have, right here on F-Chat!

Brought me to tears reading this..........
    I consider myself fortunate to have had a cameo appearance in this adventure.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks, Dave. RIP, Joe.

5. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    Dave, what a fantastic journey that has benefited every soul involved! Thank you so much for sharing. I believe I can speak for everyone here when I say that our lives have been touched and enriched in many different ways as a result of your discourse. You and yours are true treasures, Dave. Semper Fi, Joe!

P.S.: Nick Foglietta says to tell you hello. He truly enjoyed the trip to your shop! I now have him buried in the bowels of an XK150..........

6. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    +1

7. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very sorry to hear of Joe's passing. Dave you are a truly great man for everything you've done for Joe and thank you for bringing all of us along on the journey with you.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Fantastic journey indeed.
    Dave, Thank you for sharing all of this with us.
    It's something we all need to see and hear, that good people DO good things, just because.
    The story strikes deep and I will refer to it often when I get caught up in the less important "small things" of everyday living........

Best wishes to you and your family, always.
    DJ

9. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    +308

10. agnello11

agnello11 Karting

May 27, 2008
    Rest in peace, Joe. A life well lived by all accounts.

Dave, my condolences and my thanks for taking the time to share this story until its conclusion. Remarkable, for all the right reasons. You, sir, are a gentleman.

11. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Thanks for sharing the stories, Dave.
    God bless you.

Semper fi, Joe.

Sent from my spaceship via Tapatalk.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well done, Dave....

Rest In Peace, Joe......see you, in Kansas.

Is there a link, to an obit???

13. fastpics

fastpics Rookie

Feb 19, 2007
    Ventnor City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron Truch
    Dave, thanks so much for rescuing Joe's car (and Joe,) and sharing his story in such a captivating way.

RIP, Joe.

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Dave, thanks so much for doing such great things for Joe, and thanks for this story you have shared with us.

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I suppose it's the inevitable conclusion that we'll all face at some time or another. Joe's conclusion was obviously made much better and I'm sure easier by your presence and understanding.

Thank you for that and for taking the time to share so much with all of us here. I feel like I've lost a friend and I've never met either of you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. RIP Joe.

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    No Tex, no obit, viewing or the likes. That afternoon while sitting on the edge of his bed I spoke with Joe about my thoughts on this. I told him that my feelings were to share my memories and thoughts here, where he was surrounded by friends who shared many of his same passions in life.

Aside from J's family and my own, we were just about all that were near... but from afar... his many friends here did make a wonderful difference as I spoke to him about all of your well wishes when ever we met up. Here we can make this sad moment into a celebration of a life lived, to what extent, that will be debated for generations to come and will surely be broken up into snap shots of a moment in time.

Joe made his final trip home to Kansas successfully and without incident. The funeral home there sent me photo's of him dressed proper for his meeting with his folks. A finely tailored gray suit, a crisp white dress shirt and my all time favorite tie, a striking change from the Joe I knew but what a proud looking man he was!

Friday as he was laid to rest, Kris took on the next terribly challenging and heart breaking task, a call to his girl friend in the retirement home Joe first moved to from his mountain home. Try as we might, work got in the way of leaving early to break the news in person, it could wait no longer. Both Kris and myself became quite attached to Zenda.

Barely able to break 5 ft tall on her tip toes, she was a strong gal who was the last in her families line. A lifetime resident of Boulder, she remembered it with dirt roads when it was still trying to resemble the high end of what a cattle town was at the time. As expected, it was as difficult as one could expect it would be. Kris left it with a promise that we would stop by in short order and spend an evening out sharing a nice dinner with her.

I have had time this week to reflect on which one of us did more for the other, Joe or myself, I am quite certain it is I who owes Joe the biggest debt of gratitude and Thanks! It is an ere feeling when thinking back far beyond my Father even meeting my Mother after the War, when Joe was the proud Marine in the jungles of Morotai Indonesia. Joe and his fellow Marines were there with orders to keep enemy forces away from the new hastily constructed air strip, the very one my Father was flying out of as a belly turret gunner on a B-24, at the same moment in time. More than once I thanked Joe for a job well done! The "Greatest Generation".... ya think? Can there be any question? Surely not for myself, nary a doubt in my mind!

Joe would not look kindly on me if this was the end of the story. I have yet only brushed on small points of his life's journey... OH... and one more minor detail.....there is a cream colored Red Sled that still needs finishing... if Jen ever gets off her backside and gets to working on it!

17. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Please, please, PLEASE keep up the story! I can't really explain why, but to me this story represents a great side of Ferrari keeper-ship, the true camaraderie among genuine lovers of these cars. Thank you in advance!

18. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #768 davehelms, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    John,

That was one of my biggest mental struggles in Joe and our journey together. Everything in me said to distance myself as much as possible, thus allowing an independent man to live out what would amount to as much of a normal life as was possible. I wanted to keep my families influence to a minimum while still being present as a friend, but not a director or a "guardian".

In my Fathers last few days this became a topic we spoke of at length. Dad was a no nonsense aerospace design engineer, one who would speak up when there was something important to say or needed to be fixed, small talk was rare... except on the topic of Joe. With Dad and myself there was no such thing as an awkward moment of silence, that instead was simply considered a quiet, peaceful moment collecting thoughts on the subject at hand.

Joe touched Dad in some privately important way that he never explained to me. I was only able to surmise that it was related to a past event in his lifetime where someone that was special to him was left to struggle without available help or assistance. Was it something tragic that happened in the War? Was it related to the hardships during the Depression that happened on the family farm in Neenah WI? If it would have affected any potential outcome in a predictable manner, Dad would have shared and explained this to me, instead he chose to keep it private and take those answers with him.

Dad was in charge of his own timing, he didn't stop his medical treatments until he considered he had all his matters dealt with and things all in order. He considered this a wonderful hand he was dealt, one where he was in control and was able to finish projects and tasks he felt were important to see through. Why he never expressed thoughts or offered his guidance on matters with Joe, this is something I will never know. Between our weekend phone calls he signed in here daily so he could keep current on Joe by reading this thread. Instead Dad chose to quietly offer his thanks for the effort and left it at that.

I can only assume that Dad felt I was doing things related to Joe in a proper manner. Assisting when it was needed, being a friend just because, but not choosing a direction or pointing a path. What ever his reasoning, he expressed a need to know that I considered this an obligation that must be seen through to the end. Sitting on the edge of Dad's bed I assured him that our feelings were the same on the matter. The resulting smile showed he was comforted that what ever had happened in his past, would not play out the same this time.

Karen,

... any more than I can explain why I felt compelled to tell it in the first place, I dont do this, I never have! It started as a nagging want to make sure that some old folks that were important to me, didn't pass without their stories being told. Why it continued to the point it has... I am not smart enough to answer. The cost of the little bit of band width to tell it, with the hope it all comes full circle in the end... There are far too many questions I was left with on Dad and Joe's passing, those that to me still need answers. Maybe answers will become apparent as we once again fire up the restoration of the 330, maybe this will all fade into obscurity. Either way it isnt hurting anyone to tell it so WTH, as long as anyone has an interest, lets see where it heads

I no longer believe I am in control of any of this, not sure I ever was, instead it is in control of me! Yesterday was spent restoring the Lexus we gave Joe. The Shoe Makers Kid syndrome taken to an extreme, nothing shows ones commitment and admiration for their wife like doing the brakes on Her new car 50 (yah... no, not a typo, only one zero) miles prior to a failure, I should be flogged. Joe didn't trust the Park Position of an automatic transmission as an adequate method of parking the car, instead doubling up and stomping on the emergency brake as well. OK... no harm done.... unless the knucklehead consistently ignored disengaging it when its time to drive again. Given where Joe chose to build his house on top of a mountain with a several hundred foot cliff next to the driveway and garage, I can understand his admiration of redundancy when it comes to parking a vehicle you want to stay put. Life long habits are hard to break.

Joe considered 'warning lights' just a visual indicator that a system was present, not that there were problems needing attention. "If it is critical and needs to be monitored, they give you a gauge to watch, look at the Ferrari!" Choose ones battles, warped brake rotors can easily be replaced on a Lexus, it wasn't worth the argument. Joe's ever lasting influence in this families lives became vividly apparent when I took the heat seized mass of brake parts from His car, to the press to start untangling them. Pumping like a mad man on the press jack I looked up and noticed what was now in place was Joe's 30 ton bottle jack he used to lift up a side of the log home to secure and anchor it to the granite rock of the mountain.

As FBB has so brilliantly stated in the past, "Life is painless for the brainless"... I really dont want to know why a 30 ton jack replaced the 10 ton version in the press... in a Ferrari shop to boot! Nope, I am just along for the ride with hopes I can steer clear of the cliff for a while longer. Life and other more immediate needs did not permit me the time to get Joe driving his old Ferrari again, as I wished it would have. As hard a time as I have with thinking Joe was responsible for orchestrating this in some covertly brilliant manner, it cant hurt to ride it out and see what he might have had in mind. Knowing Joe as I did, this is a thought that frightens me a great deal!

19. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Sorry to hear.

20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I really is all good, Julia.

As trying as some of these times were over the last few years, I was always surrounded by some incredible real life hero's, the level of which will always remain incredibly humbling, and as those that know me can attest to, truly life changing for myself.

It would be very easy to harbor many regrets for opportunities that I missed, but neither Joe or Dad would hear of any of that type of thinking. That is not who these Midwest farm boys were or how they were raised, regrets only came about when something was not acted on in the best possible way you could muster at the moment.... and I seem to have been handed a heaping load of "something's" in the recent past!

I feel highly privileged to have been taught life lessons by the likes of these men, some good, some harsh but all of which has helped me through some difficult challenges over the last 3 years. To be able to express my gratitude for these lessons, face to face with my teachers... my regrets are few as I was honored with the gift of being able to do this.

Dad's American Flag, the Nose Art memorial plaque from his B-24, as well as Joe's US Marine Corp honorable discharge paperwork have a permanent place in our Cigar Bar Lounge at the shop. There is no sadness or regrets connected with these, instead just a small memorial to hold a toast to when we gather there with friends.

Joe's 330 holds the high ground on the loft over looking our Lounge area... with an empty rotisserie sitting next to it... the time is near

21. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
  22. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Yesterday I took some update photo's of Joe's 330 in its current state, the man on his 1940's Knucklehead he purchased after returning from the War, the one that near proved his demise when he thought he could motocross the lump and ended up spending months in the hospital due to the hair brained idea, and his favorite photo with Zenda in the cafeteria at the first retirement home. Kris stopped by Messa Vista yesterday to pick up his belongings, some of these were his favorite memories he requested be posted on his wall across from his bed.

Alas, I have been reclassified to 'Radio Flyer' status so I am unable to post photo's any longer. This is what happens when an old gray hair becomes the figure in the Net game of Whack a Mole. "Fading into obscurity" found this quicker than I had anticipated.

23. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Dave,

Sorry to hear of Joe, but he had a great life right to the end from the sounds of some of it. You have done a great thing with Joe, as well as your dad I am sure. Thanks for bringing us the best reality show ever.... REAL life. As you have time. please share the stories of Joe, and of your dad as well.

Perry

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #774 BigTex, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    They were the same team, in the jungle.....you never leave or forget your team mates.

People drive the Ferraris, and sometimes it gets the other way around, but that normally sorts itself out, over time.

You have mail.......

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #775 BigTex, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave,

You should flesh out an Obit, for Joe...you have the story.

Here's Joe, after battling thru the islands of the South Pacific, in WW2.
    I'll bet that Harley Davidson and the Rocky Mountain air was pretty sweet.

Work must have started on the cabin, soon after??

*salute*
    Image Unavailable, Please Login