Bathurst this weekend............ | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bathurst this weekend............

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Barry, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Figgers. I had a feeling you were a racing driver. :p

(you opened the door.... :))

2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  3. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #54 andrewecd, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is a pretty terrifying track in places. Here's the drop to Forest Elbow to give an indication...
    You can drive around as it is a public road and see for yourself. Last time I drove around with family in the car and never saw another car the whole lap, apart from someone taking a pic of their car on pole position on pit straight.
    Growing up watching all the Bathurst races and then to be able to simply drive around the track whenever you want is also what makes this place so special.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
  5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    When I talk to someone here that hasn't heard of Bathurst, that is the video I send them to. :)

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  7. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Excellent quality photos. Not the kind I take with my iPhone for sure. Thanks for sharing.

8. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #59 kevin956, Feb 10, 2017
    A few bumps and bruises earned on the way to the win, but most cars had some scars at the end...

Yes, that's a stick that penetrated the nose bodywork on the right front. There is no hole there otherwise where a loose stick might jam its way in.

The rear looked very clean. Guess nobody else was fast enough to catch it, but still surprising to see no scrapes.

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Thanks for the photo's, did you take one of the left rear?

10. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #61 kevin956, Feb 10, 2017
    You're welcome. Yes, I took that photo - I took them all. Here's another one.

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Very nice pics!
    Battle scars perfect
    A car like the LM winner 2012 does not have ANY of those anymore.

12. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Are these the same spec cars for Le Mans? If so the 488s will get killed given lack of straightline speed. The MB was faster on the long straight and surely the Ford GTs (non existent street car, non homologated cheat) will be the same. Hope there's still time for the ACO to check Daytona and this Bathurst races for further leveling tweaks.

13. 'Agree it shouldn't be allowed, but you can hardly call the Ford a cheat when it is accepted by the sanctioning bodies and other manufacturers. Nothing hidden and underhanded there to make it a "cheat"....all right out there in the open. The beloved BoP is the cheat. Not engineering and development as it should be.
    Such is the course of most high exposure auto racing of late. High speed rolling billboards, nothing more, nothing less.

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandin

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    ACO = GT2= 488 GTE
    Bathurst/Blancpain/Gulf12Hr = GT3= 488 GT3

15. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    #66 joe1973, Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks Tom. This whole GT field is getting too confusing including PRO/AM/ etc. Some races I've seen AM cars holding off GT LM. If I look at the Porsche GT1 from the 90s, it seems this is the platform of GT LM today, while Le Mans Prototypes are just space ships with their downforce and technologies on power recovery/boosting. Still fun to watch but less about racing abilities. The Bathurst race last week was great as the MB and 488 really raced fairly and hard, until the penalty and subsequent crash by the MB #22. In contrast the Daytona 24 showed the Ford GT essentially playing with the field, where in the final 10-15 mins just pulled out all their power to gap the 911 and 488 by over 5 secs after a re-start from yellow.

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I'm curious, is it just Bathurst is a track that the BOP roughly equals out on, or is GT3 better balanced than GT2?

Every single Bathurst rate I watch, there are differences in the cars, but the driver seems a little bigger in the share of things than the car itself.

17. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    It is interesting to see how close they were. Blancpain last year had the BOP rather dialed also. It's amazing that the ACO cannot get it figured. Or maybe they don't want to. Ford must grease them rather well.

18. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Quite surprising how many urbane posters here wear tin foil hats. It must be a conspiracy. There is no other possible explanation why a lowly Ford is beating Ferrari.

19. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    The $50m had to go somewhere and waiver acceptance for a car that's never been produced can't come cheap!

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Just watched the Bathurst. Good race. Bad call against the Ferrari for warming his tires. Mercedes had a poor sportsmanship and bad driving. Unsafe release in the pits, not getting a penalty for swerving like the Ferrari did (though they came up with some BS reason), and hitting the Porsche and then the wall. Lol. Well done Maranello Mororsport.

21. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    "Never been produced"? You seem to have missed the worldwide news that production cars were rolling off the assembly line in December last year. Yeah, I know, inconvenient truth.

As for where the "$50M" went, you can start with the GT's carbon fiber tub. You may be familiar with these. They are used in even the cheapest McLarens. Perhaps Ferrari should put some of that theme park licensing money to better use.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    zing.

23. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    You will find I said the same thing before two years ago.

That includes when the event sponsor's car won it. It was still a good race.

Bathurst seems to have better parity of car, or at least, driver is more important on that track.

24. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The aerodynamics of the GT is a tremendous advantage that is evident on high speed tracks. In fairness to the governing organizations, it's difficult to balance performance with a car like the GT. The car is simply a much more advanced racing platform than its competitors. As with everything else in life, there is no free lunch. I'm certain the GT will not be as tolerable a street car as comparable Ferraris.

The fact that Ford made the decision to build such a hardcore car, within the rules I'll add, for homologation purposes, shows how serious Ford is about racing and winning with the GT. It's not indicative of any "collusion" with the ACO or anyone else. Baseless allegations to the contrary are just silly.