Batterie explosion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Batterie explosion

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sigmacars, Mar 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hawaiki

hawaiki Rookie

Feb 26, 2008
    Plus One

2. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    The one year term is not right if a Battery i not in use it looses 1% of its charge every 2 days( acording to EXIDE ) so in 6 months it will be dead.but if a battery maintainer fails it should fail in the open position not in the closed position i think this is a bad design,there was no fire in my place but this was only by luck.also most of the new Batterys are sealed ,no vents you can remove if there where old vents then the battery would only boil and not explode, still not good but a lot saver.

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    You can look and find "self discharge" rates for flooded batteries listed from as high as 1% a day to as low as 5% a month. But I've been leaving batteries disconnected for up to 7 months for 10 years. NEVER had one unable to start the car after that period.

However, a major factor needs to be considered...the self discharge rate is higher when the air temp is higher. In other words, a batt in a car sitting in an unheated area over the winter will self discharge much slower than one in a heated garage or one sitting unused in the summer. In my case, I have always had the cars in storage over the winter in unheated areas. So if you keep the car stored for long periods in a warmer environment, then the self discharge rate is higher and PERHAPS the batt WILL be unable to start the car in 6 months or less. So obviously your mileage may vary!

4. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I've got a battery conditioner thing I use on my 328 (& have done for 10 years). I have a tracker thing on my car & if i disconnected the battery the tracker battery would go flat in pretty short order. Do that two many times & it knackers the tracker backup battery.

In order to comply with my insurance (I asked) they expect the car to be locked and alarmed in the garage. If I did that without the conditioner the battery would be flat in two weeks.

I recently discovered my car battery was not holding charge. When I went to take it out it was distinctly warm. Nothing more than mildly warm, but none the less warm to the touch. A brand new battery installed & the conditioner reconnected & the battery stays cold.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My wife's 2002 MB S500 will flatten the batt in less than 3 weeks if not driven. This is one of the cars that we keep in MD with the batt disconnected when I'm not there. Longest has been 6 months with no trouble. On the other hand, we have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe here in Mexico City that often sits undriven for two months at a time and it starts right up regardless. Obviously some cars have systems that are rather heavy current-drawers.