Battery Installation | FerrariChat

Battery Installation

Discussion in '308/328' started by BobO, Jan 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BobO

BobO Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Loudoun Co, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob O
    Put in a new battery (34R) last weekend in my '88 328. Couple of minor issues came up. After the installation, I noticed the pos terminal (driver's side) was less than an inch from touching the spare tire well. I assume the well is fiberglass, but it still doesn't seem right. I've been looking around for one of those battery terminal protector boots but can't seem to find one. Does this sound right to you guys?

Also, the little hold down clamp (bolted down with the 13 mm nut) seems to not fit well. Mine's a little buggered up. So question, not sure which way is up. There's a raised ridge around the perimeter of the clamp. Does that face up or down when mounted?

Thanks. Bob is beautiful Lovettsville VA

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hee is a photo of the hold down bracket. The solid edge clips over the battery lip and the two other tabs on the other edge rest on the bottom. I recently had to bent the two tabs outward to effectively make the bracket wider so the front edge could grip the battery. It involved some trial and error bending and fitting, but make sure the battery is actually being held down when the bracket is tightened. The front edge of the battery should not be able to lift and move upward.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=190507

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My bracket had broken loose and I found it in the floor pan. The nut was long gone.
    I'm finally getting back to securing the battery.

Can somebody tell me how long the bolt is off of the battery floor? I can't get my bracket on there with enough room for a nut. It's also a very tight fit going onto the bolt. if the bracket is resting in the position I think it is suppose to be (from a pic on another thread) there are no threads above the bracket to secure the nut on. The bolt doesn't appear to be broken though it may be. The battery floor was slanting down toward the nose, slightly but I adjust that.

The stud seems to be maybe 1/2" off the floor - just even with the frame arm near it.