Battery Maintainer for Odyssey Battery | FerrariChat

Battery Maintainer for Odyssey Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Kevin Rev'n, Jan 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have been reading up on the Odyssey 925T Battery that a lot of you guys are using and I want to install one in my 360. I want to get the most out of my battery so I want to use the right charger to keep it maintained. I am presently wired up with the quick disconnect plug to the junction box behind the seat that mates to a Deltran Battery Tender Plus and would like to keep using this plug if possible. I see that the Battery Tender Brand is not recommended to use for the battery. (It charges on initial charge up to 15 Volts which is outside of the parameters for the Odyssey).

What chargers are you guys using that charge at 14.7 Volts or below as per Odyssey's spec?

Anyone adapt the Odyssey charger to accept the quick disconnect plug that is common to the Battery Tender Brand?

I am looking at the Xenotronix Optimizer SX-150-1 to fulfill my charging requirement.The documentation for this charger says that it has a quick disconnect. Does anyone know if it is compatible with the quick disconnect I have already? (Deltran BT plus)

Thanks, Kevin

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I used a Deltran for quite a long time without problems. Technically it is out of spec but that is only a problem if it stays that way. Prolonged it would over charge and destroy the battery but it floats down pretty quickly.

Having said that, I switched a few years ago. I went to the Granite Digital charger. Over the past 2 years it has worked very well.

3. anconbrat

anconbrat Karting

Jul 9, 2011
    East central Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Morton
    Kevin
    I have been using the Battery Tender Junior with Interstate battery, which pooped out and was replaced with the highly recommended Odyseey. Have continued using the Junior with seemingly very good results. If this is an improper setup for my F360 I hope someone who knows will help us both with their wisdom.
    Don

4. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #4 Kevin Rev'n, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Don, I read that someplace that the BT junior reports to you via it's lights that its doing the job but that it technically isnt up to snuff. I am probably over thinking the whole thing but the darn Odyssey folks have really gone out of their way to spec which chargers work and which don't that I am getting uncomfortable selecting from off the list.

The currently approved chargers are on the attached pdf FYI.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well I really liked the Xenotronics Model at the end of the list but it is NLA. It came with a quick disconnect and was wall mountable. :-(

..."Hello Kevin,

The SX150-1 is obsolete and we do not offer a replacement.

Regards,

Dave Martell
    Sales Manager
    Xenotronix

Phone: 419-666-8144 x261
    Fax: 419-666-6534"...

It is starting to look like I may have to buy one and modify it to add a QD.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Don is using it on an Interstate, not an Odyssey. I have a 925T in my car and have for years so my comments are directly related to the question.

You really need a good regulation circuit and a solid float mode. Plus you need current limiting to prevent over heating during charging. I think most any good quality will work but the cheap ones not so much. I told you what I use. Good luck.

7. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
  8. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    I have been using the CTEK 3300 on my Odyssey for more than 3 years and it has worked fine. No problems whatsoever. There are various settings - the correct one is the one to the right - farthest from the mode button.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #9 Kevin Rev'n, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys for your input. I am looking at the Granite Digital Chargers presently. They have a charging profile that is very similar to the Odyssey spec.

Odyssey Spec Charging Profile is 14.7V on initial and then float charge is 13.6V
    The "Save a Battery" aka Granite is 14.8V on initial and then float charge is 13.6V

I am OK with the .1V difference especially when I compare it to the Deltran which puts out up to 15V on initial.

It looks like the recommended chargers by Odyssey are all higher amp output chargers than the ones that are easy to find/buy. (10 or 12 Amps specifically) What I have read about the amps for a charger affects the amount of time it would take for it to do it's job. Please correct me if I am wrong. Over time could this be a heat cycle constraint for the process?

The Granite site has a few choices so I am getting lost in the details...

Skid, which one are you using?

Ref: Last pic is Odyssey charging profile

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    They only have a couple of choices for 12v chargers. I picked the best and bought it. I think it is model 9999. I bought it from Amazon as I recall.

You pretty much have it right. High current chargers are for quick charging batteries. Not really want you want/need to keep your battery topped up. I will skip the math but suffice to say, just because it CAN source 10 amps doesn't mean that it does.

11. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    This! The far right setting is for Odyssey type batteries. The picture of the car is for regular batteries. My oldest Odyssey is almost 7 years old, been on the Ctek it's whole life and still fires the race car every time (though I just moved it to back-up status last month).

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  13. anconbrat

anconbrat Karting

Jul 9, 2011
    East central Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Morton
    Kevin
    Contrary to what SKIDKID said, I AM using the "Junior" on an Odyssey as I indicated on my original post. Perhaps you are over analyzing, but it's your choice to do so. Hope you find something you're happy with.
    Don

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Call Odyssey.

Ask them which of their chargers to use.

Buy one.

That's what we did and it works great.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jim, Did you get a wall mount with quick disconnects?

I found a thread about these batteries that led me to believe this would be a great topic for discussion and since I have a need for one there was also a personal interest. I am up to speed on the Odyssey brand chargers and they are not what I am after. They are more of a portable type with a handle and terminate with clamps similar to jumper cables. I am after a wall mounted unit. My car is portable but the charger should be part of my garage infrastructure.

You would think it would be easy to find yes? Well, no because the battery manufacturer doesn't recommend ,at least in print, any that are still being manufactured. The companies that did make the style I am after that are approved by Odyssey have discontinued them.
    A few reasons come to mind most of which are interesting pursuits to discuss....to me anyway. (I thought some of you guys were frozen in with nothing to do) LOL

This site was a interesting find on my journey.

BatteryStuff Articles | How to Choose the Correct Battery Charger

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sorry, Don. I read the Interstate part and missed the 'replaced with Odyssy'. My bad.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You don't want a wall mount one because if it fries it takes down your garage with it. You want a separate unit that is left far away from your car or anything flammable when it's charging.

We use an Odyssey 50 amp with quick disconnect mini Andresen connectors for P 4/5 C which uses two Odyssey batteries.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you for this notion which I had not considered.

19. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Follow up: I did purchase the 9999 Granite and it is wall mounted near my car, I have been using it for a few months. It does not seem to get very warm. I really like the display that shows how much it is charging in Amps and Volts.

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Cool! Thanks for the update Kevin.

Dan

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    FWIW I have a Granite. It's the only one RifleDriver recommends. I agree it's the best.

22. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    All I have to say to that is...Where was rifledriver when I was hovering over the "buy it now" button? With all my questions and doubts! hmmmmmmm???? :)

Actually that is a very nice endorsement to have! Respect!

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Dan, 34 or 34R? I thought the correct battery has reverse terminals (swapping positive for negative). Otherwise, the cables don't reach.

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Oops! You are correct, 34R, reversed terminals for perfect fit. Sorry for the typo!