BB512i Transmission Shaft Question | FerrariChat

BB512i Transmission Shaft Question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DonB, Aug 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I had, but can't find, the information on a company in Texas I believe, that makes a new improved transmission shaft for the Testarossa and Boxer. And I think it was improved even over the factory shaft that was installed in the late model 512 TR's and M's.

As I recall, it had more rotational movement before it broke than even the late factory shaft. Would anybody out there have the name of the company or information on this? Oh, and no mines not broken. but the gearbox is apart so why not upgrade right?

Thanks in advance

DonB

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    i thought there was the thought not to upgrade since it acts like a fusible link before something more expense breaks

turbo-joe and boxerman like this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you understand under "transmission" shaft?
    the main shaft in the transmission or the propeller shaft from the clutch housing to this mainshaft?
    if you mean this shaft then you may also need a stronger mainshaft, otherwise this mainshaft will be the fuse as dominick has written just now it is the propeller shaft, and if this mainshaft will break it will get expensive
    im my koenig competition I have a stronger mainshaft and also a propeller shaft from rob hayden from australia. until now no problems.

5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Thanks willrace. I found the site.

The Italian translation is transmission shaft or something close. And yes it's the shaft that goes from the drop gears to the gearbox.

According to HCF, the upgrade from Ferrari transferred even more torque to the trans and could/did damage parts in there. Their shaft (HCF) has more give but is stronger. I guess it's all that metallurgy stuff. Kriptonite or something.

I'm of the opinion that the BBi from the factory was a Grand Touring car and not a "track" car. So I would guess that under normal driving all of these components should hold up just fine.