BBi chassis paint-Who thought this was a good idea? | FerrariChat

BBi chassis paint-Who thought this was a good idea?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ludwig, Nov 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I am continuing the restoration, and yes, the various chocolates in the box are quite surprising!
    I continue to prep the frame elements for repainting and this has involved the miserably job of getting rid of the thickly and pervasively applied Dinol. Just when i thought most was addressed i found some marvellous reservoirs lurking under the over sprayed black. This also extended to areas that had been coated with the gloppy, thick, black glossy material Ferrari seemed so fond of. Does 't adhere too well to the underlying Dinol. What genius thought it would?
    I am however, still on the quest to duplicate the runny, lumpy, OEM appearance.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    That wax coating was dealer applied so I would skip that unless you insist on making a mess.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Can you not respay these parts with that black Dinol or any replacing underbody coating like we do with many other "oldies" ?

4. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I have extensivly removed most of the old dinol and spraying with Wurth black chassis product I then plan on applying Wurth stone guard to "exposed" areas wheel wells etc.
    The other issue is duplicating the thick gloss paint that was liberally applied to areas above the "dinol" coated areas. This includes the upper chassis components, inner wheelwells etc. It is thick gloss black with the appearance of dribbling paint throughout. I am trying to duplicate this runny, dribbly appearance.
    Ive attached an image of the R front wheelwell/chassis preped and ready for its initial coat.

Attached Files: