BBi daylight flashers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BBi daylight flashers

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a pair of as new passing lights from an 84 bbi...
    I would part with them for $150.00 a piece. will post pics if you are interested.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I sent you a PM.

Thanks.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Suggestion for those who have the front passing/fog lights on their Boxers:

Install clear plastic 3M protective film to protect them from rocks/chipping.

I bought a sheet of the film from Griot's Garage and it was easily to make a cardboard pattern and cut the film to fit the front of the glass lens.

Once installed, it's not noticeable at all. I did mine almost two years ago and the film still looks great, no discoloration.

PS: The previous owner of my 512BBi had a dealer wire up the front passing lights with a solenoid so that they stay on when the "fog light" switch is activated, along with the rear
    red fog lights.

I'm thinking about changing it back to stock though, because I would rather have daytime "passing lights" than fog lights.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, I don't the beam pattern for the passing light is correct for fog lights anyway...plus, as with any Italian electrical electrical system I would not want to put a constant current draw on a system designed to be on for only a few seconds at a time.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats a good idea Gary, thanks for the tip, Ill take your advice.

Donv, nice looking car. Im assuming your car is in the US. Is it possible the rear bumper was swapped to those big butt ugly extended ones to pass DOT and later had euro ones put back on but lacking the light option? I have a picture of a BB with these huge bumpers on it, looks terrible. Maybe Ill post it later tonight for all to enjoy.

P.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is in the US, and it is entirely possible that the lights were lost in the federalization phase of the car's life.

However, in looking at the pictures of various BBs (not BBis) on Sheehan's website, they *all* seem to have the same switch configuration as mine, and none of them seem to have the rear fog lights.

They do generally seem to have the lights behind the grill, for whatever that's worth.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Like most things ferrari im starting to realize nothing is carved in stone particularly on the older models (70's and 80's) in this case. It would be nice to talk to someone that worked on the line or oversaw this sort of stuff at just to hear some of the stories.

Donv, what exhaust does your BB have? Doesnt look like stock stuff.

9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #34 GaryReed, Dec 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Speaking of butt ugly bumpers, check out the "picnic table" sized one on the front of this BB. I also hate those that have the big "glued on" rubber bumper strips too, like the one the back of this BBi.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Wow, doesnt that look sweet! You could have a tailgate party on your BB! Those big honkin things are the ones I was talking about but my advertisment shot is a side shot and man the rear is just as bad. I would have yanked them the night I took possesion of the car and burned them on the front lawn.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had those ugly rubber bumper strips and rectangular side marker lights removed from my BB512i within weeks of my becoming an owner. It makes the body look so much cleaner...FYI, when I removed the front rubber strips I discovered the two holes where the running lights went. I had to source 2 from Eddie Karam in Westchester, Pa. and a 3rd "spare" from the Ferrari dealer in South Africa.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There was a BB in the shop where I've been taking mine which is only a few serial numbers after mine, and it still had those bumpers on it. Ugly is right!

I don't know what the exhaust is on mine. It was federalized by Amerispec, and then I don't know what happened to it after that. When we had the engine out this summer, it looked good and was in good shape, that's all I know. It sounds good!

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Paul, when you get your new fogs call up 3M Trimline and get some of the clear decal used when they do the chipguard on the cars. I'm sure someone must come by your dealership to install chipguard on some new cars and get a piece from them. If you apply it to the lights it reduces the chance of them breaking from a stone by 100 times. Better still it is totally invisible, removable and will not yellow. Just a tip.

As for the federalized bumpers on the Boxer, what an abortion!

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Rob, we do have a trim shop we deal with just down the road, Ill get it through them.