Be very careful using Online Auction Sites | FerrariChat

Be very careful using Online Auction Sites

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by joesailor, Jan 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joesailor

joesailor Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe U
    A cautionary tale -- bid on a Ferrari on one of the major online auto auction sites. I failed BEFORE bidding to ask ALL questions such as does the car have a title, is it a consignment sale. I also failed to double check the listed dealership which turned out to be very new and without any real online track record. The majority of these sites clearly state in their Terms & Conditions that they are not parties to any transaction and the fees are due when you win the bid regardless if you are actually able to come to terms with seller and close transaction. I did not do my homework and it ended up being expensive for a no sale.

technom3 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    ??????
    Suggest to explain what really happened. I don't get it.
    And what major online auto auction site are you referring to? Where? Europe? USA?

Marcel Massini

3. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Contrary point:
    Beware of listing your car on online auction sites. Some bidders will not follow through with the common sense gentleman’s agreement that you have done your due diligence and via bidding are committing to follow through on the purchase. When you place your bid you have “come to terms with the seller to close”
    That’s my understanding anyway:)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    May as well post a link, no sense in being vague if it's supposed to help the community here.

amenasce, Lusso123 and Viperjoe like this.
  5. joesailor

joesailor Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe U
    The online sites are just "platforms" and not in any way parties to the final transaction. They receive their buyer's fees for forwarding the sellers contact information to the buyer. On Ebay its stated that the biding is non-binding, but there the seller pays fee only when transaction completes. On sites like Bring a Trailer, Collecting Cars etc. the buyers fee is due immediately on winning the bid. There are no refunds if the transaction fails to close. Here are BAT's terms: " If you decide to bid on a vehicle that has been listed by a Seller on the Digital Services, you acknowledge and agree that your bid constitutes the first non-binding step in expressing your interest to a Seller in the listed vehicle and does not in and of itself create a formal contract between you as the Buyer and such Seller. It is the responsibility of a Buyer and Seller, respectively, to negotiate the terms of a binding transaction and enter into a formal contract. "

anunakki and Innovativethinker like this.
  6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    So, what is your point?

7. joesailor

joesailor Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe U
    Nothing vague -- I used a online auto bidding platform that does not require their sellers to disclose what type of documents will be used for ownership transfer and also does not require a consignement sale to be disclosed in the listing. There are major differences between the platforms - some allow you to see full history of both bidders and sellers - others nada -- I posted this just to let others know to do all the homework and ask all the questions before bidding.

anunakki, JL350 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I’ll ask

Bring a trailer where I have bought several cars doe not make the sale binding as eBay does not either.

How we eBay has no buyer fees.

If you’re saying that BaT will not refund your fees if the seller does not complete as the item is represented?

In other words if the buyer walks due to lack of knowledge as opposed to lack of disclosure or misrepresentation, I would not expect buyers fees to be refunded.

Tell us what you mean otherwise I’m going back to this lame game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This is why I think these online auction sites will be a fad.

Very little in the form of any transparency of a deal actually getting completed. So guys who have several of one model or a club will throw a car on and bid it to a stupid number. It costs them 5k... But spread among 3 guys who cares 1500 bucks...

The value of all their cars is perceived to have gone up.

BAT is ripe with and for market manipulation.

I'm not a fan.

Plus the peanut gallery of guys who ask a million questions and never bid. Wanting to know about the smallest spec of corosion on a sway bar clogging the comments with worries of hidden rust and how they would have addressed it before hand...

I think people forget that ebay was like this too. eBay in the early days was just as popular as bat for bringing big money. Youd throw it on eBay and it would bring very strong money.

That has subsided and the new girl in town is BAT.

Once enough people get burned with crappy transactions... Just as people did on eBay things will change.

Once BATs feet get held to the fire to confirm condition and authenticity etc... They will start picking up commission fees like gooding and rm and the rest.

They aren't just going to sit by on the sides and let all that money not get collected. And if they want to save their platform they are going to need to change their approach. Once their is enough poop in the water... Few will want to go for a swim.

LightGuy, LVP488, BoulderFCar and 3 others like this.
  10. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Be interesting to see when, not if, they get rid of that $5K max buyer fee.
    You start selling 1-2-3-4-5 multi million dollar cars a month, and corporate is not going to piss that money away forever just to be seen as the shining star and white knight of “anti big auction” houses.

Texas Forever and technom3 like this.
  11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Ill be surprised if they don't charge the seller 1 or 2 percent. They wouldn't lose a single seller.

12. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That would be an interesting angle. You’re right too, it’s hard enough at the moment to even get something accepted. I’ve resorted to using “super sellers” to sell on my behalf, and it’s worth just paying them a fee. As a regular person, my last auction took like 45+ days to go live. These guys can get stuff live in 3 days.

Texas Forever and technom3 like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    AGAIN.
    Still waiting for clear details.

Marcel Massini

Zanny1, WillskiGT, 308 milano and 2 others like this.
  14. EFerrari34

EFerrari34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    I guess the OP wanted to advise everyone that BaT (or whatever platform) is going to take their fee’s whether you buy it or back out. I assumed that to be the case all along; as I wouldn’t have bid unless I knew the answers to the questions before committing to buy it. But, again, that only my assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

anunakki, LightGuy and Texas Forever like this.
  15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion, just wanted to add more color to the discussion

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-07/bring-a-trailer-sold-829-million-in-cars-in-2021-walloping-auction-houses

Texas Forever and desmomini like this.
  16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don’t know BaT as a seller or buyer. I’ve just browsed and been dumbfounded at the prices. Interesting comments above about shilling. Makes sense. Is there a way to see the % of auctions that are completed?

Also, I thought that a part of the lengthy time to get a car listed was that BaT verified condition. I guess that’s not the case?

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have bought on BaT. Fortunately dealt with a good seller, and prior to the run up of things lately. It’s a good platform to reach buyers, and what’s the alternative presently? Is the comments above they need to charge more to filter out both sides? Fad perhaps, but seems like it has momentum to get much bigger. It have bought and sold vehicles on eBay as well. Also a history of good trans actions both ways. Found my current Ferrari on eBay. We did the deal outside of it.

the peanut gallery does get a bit stale on come auctions, but overall I usually learn something or get good information from a seller in a timely manner. Sellers posting, to me adds credibility as its now info out to everyone.

It would be nice to know the percentage of completed transaction, or more post-sale follow up

Texas Forever and ScottS like this.
  18. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    If anyone has watched Tyler Hoover's recent You Tube films on his Plymouth Superbird films, BaT refunded him the buyers fee (and apparently blacklisted the seller) when the car turned out not be as described and not all the items included in the sale were delivered. While it is easy to say that they did it because he is a popular You Tuber it also makes a clear public precedent to get a refund if that situation arises.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    These platforms are always just a means to reach people, as a buyer and seller, imo.

I found my 599, and QP on ebay and talked to the owners directly quite a bit before taking the plunge.

20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Mentioned this on the Bat thread already. What serious bidders, bids before the last few minutes!?
    Can someone write some code to track all these early bidders who never win?