Becoming a pay site? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Becoming a pay site?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PSP, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Rob, can you try posting that link again? I dont think it works.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The link works for me on either Internet Explorer or Opera.

If you haven't tried the Opera Browser - it's much better than IE. Loads much, much faster amongst other distinct advantages. http://www.opera.com/

________
    Folks:

Be part of the solution rather than part of the problem./

Instead of navel-gazing about what's going to happen 6 months down the line - try to learn your way around the site. Expect Bugs at the outset. Bugs (as expected, even after testing) - are already being fixed. But real input is needed in the Bug section - not just wailing and gnashing of teeth and post-partum blues, but solutions. Those are the actual problems that need to be addressed now.

Ask not what your Ferrarichat can do for you, but what you can do for FerrariChat.
    - John Ferrari Kennedy

/Be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    people have higher expectations when they pay for something, they then expect things, and you will have twice as many emails complaining and asking things to be done...JMO

4. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    No offense meant by this, but I'd only pay on the old software, layout, I just can't get used to this enough to use it every day.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Why not try to get used to the new F-Chat just like you did the old F-Chat? Color options are the least of concerns compared to working out bugs. If you don't want all the eye-candy on any given post - "Show Printable Version" is at the bottom of the page, to your left. It's like greased lightning.

The page-load time is being addressed on one end by Rob by changing some settings. Good.

What could be better? To enjoy the Internet experience, let alone the F-Chat experience?
    The main culprit is more than likely your Browser. Microsoft Internet Explorer sucks - hard.
    Try Netscape (others, such as MarkPDX have reported huge improvements in the F-Chat browsing experience by using Netscape) - or if you want to go one better IMHO - the Opera Browser (It's the fastest and most configurable of all browsers.)

Image and URL Bugs on the software side are being addressed.

Word on the streets is that there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when the old board's software was upgraded 18 months ago.

In my case, I looked through the archives prior to registering or posting a word on the old site - it was readily apparent that once all those details got sorted out I didn't see anybody wailing or gnashing teeth.

After the Bugs are sorted out - I believe that many who are suffering from post-partum blues will appreciate the leaps and bounds improvements - nay - necessities that are at the root level of F-Chat's ability to host this party. The software isn't free. The server isn't free. Rob's time isn't free - literally or figuratively. Some might say it started out as a hobby for Rob and it should stay that way. He's bent over backwards long enough. What should he do, bend over frontwards too?

What would you do if your server was bursting at the seams and the software was outdated? Keep it? No more than you would be able to keep anything in your car for 300,000 miles. To the casual observer, the old board was running. If you looked under the hood, though, that old html engine was ready to blow. Then what would an F-Chatter have for free or if they paid for the old html-driven software? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

That would have blown Rob's full-time "hobby" - as some call it - down the tubes. And yours, after all, F-Chat is a hobby. Hobbies aren't free. I don't have a Ferrari. I'd like one. I have a FerrariChat, though - and I'll pay for it. Gladly.

Let me put this into my wee bit of perspective for you:
    Child Support costs me $10.00 every 12 hours. I haven't seen my 16.5-year-old kid in 5 years. F-Chat for $12.00 every - six months - a year - whatever & I can see F-Chat anytime I want? Bargain of the Century.

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Sir, if we were allowed to have sigs on this forum, I assure you, you would be in mine! :D

Post of the month!

7. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    * don't charge mandatory fees.
    * try solicitating donations instead. I'd rather mail in a few $$ than mess with recurring credit card charges, etc.

* trying to make money from this site or cover costs & a few $$ for time? Make up your mind, as this will determine the flavor of this site.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Credit card 101. Get a milage card on an airline you use. Put everything you can on it lets say 5k a month. Place big charges after date when it closes accounting. Pay off totally on exact due date. You get an interest free 5k loan and fly for free. Priceless.