Beechcraft Starship | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Beechcraft Starship

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Nov 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Did it have a tail?
    There is no conventional tail on a starship... Piaggio has a big T-tail.

One flies over here a couple times a month or so...

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    NürScud likes this.
  3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Couldn’t say for sure if it had a tail or not. Dual engines were pretty close to each other which made me think it was a SS. But it could have been a piaggio. I wasn’t aware of it before I saw it so wasn’t keying on that feature I’m afraid...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #79 BMW.SauberF1Team, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Here are at least 5 (up to 6) active FAA registered Starships. All but 2 or so have hidden their flight history...maybe their registration city can help.

N45FL - Tulsa, Oklahoma
    N8149S - Tulsa, Oklahoma (I don't think it's flown in a while)
    N723SC - Dallas, TX
    N903SC - Dallas, TX (now listed as an experimental plane under a different name but as of April 2019 photos still a Starship)
    N514RS - Aspen, CO
    N8244L - Wilmington, DE

NürScud likes this.
  5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

N514RS, Robert Scherer's plane, flies over here fairly regularly. Bases at Rocky Mountain Airport (Jefferson County, near Denver) often.

He apparently has a warehouse full of spare parts.

Kelowna likes this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Must be cool to see flying! I've only seen them static and in poor condition. I've probably posted this before, but here is N214JB in Birmingham I took photos of some years ago...so sad.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/14493528060/in/album-72157645338076749/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/14677019261/in/album-72157645338076749/

Robert Scherer's has a lot of roles as a chase plane. This is per his bio here: https://ahlfa.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=467134&module_id=316380

Pretty awesome.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    WOW! Hope it was a test flight!

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    NürScud likes this.
  10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    A recent Starship walkaround.

Enjoy!

11. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Star ship is gorgeous. Just beautiful. That Piaggio looks like a Dino GT-4. Oops.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  12. Harcross

Harcross Rookie

Sep 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Al Cabito
    The aluminum was added for lightning strike protection demanded by the FAA. That put the plane overweight and killed the aircraft. Burt designed some great aircraft including one for Toyota with a Lexus engine. The FAA got religion after and backed off their demanding positions.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Pretty much everything Burt designed and flew as POC ended up being overweight after complying with certification requirements. If they had adjusted the POC aircraft testing to simulate extrapolated final design some of those aircraft never would have gone to full-scale development.

14. Harcross

Harcross Rookie

Sep 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Al Cabito
    When I was at Burt's shop most of the projects were for the AF and private development (no FAA involvement). After the Starship I don't think he did much that was to be commercialized.

15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    If you want the one that the FAA really did kill look at the Lear Fan. The FAA person reinterpreted the regulation on the gearbox to the point where it could not pass the test. Only after the project was dead did the FAA admit that the standard used by the one person was incorrect. Too little too late although the Lear Fan people had been trying to argue this point while this was going on.

The Starship had a conceptual problem from early on. It was conceived as a King Air replacement so that was their benchmark for speed and range. But the Starship has a far smaller cabin and lacked the utility characteristics with the ability to carry "stuff" inside the cabin. Sexy? Yes but it mostly stopped there. If it had not of been for Raytheon's deep pockets the Starship could have killed Beechcraft. As it was, the folly of the Starship was followed by the Premier and Horizon.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  16. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The Piaggio is actually a very sophisticated design. It is not a constant section tube design but instead has a full laminar evolving cross section. As a cross section they targeted the Falcon 20/50, although their original concept had targeted the Falcon 10.

Their concept was to use new style aerodynamics (3 lifting surfaces) combined with proven construction (aluminum) and proven engines (PT6) as risk mitigation. Piaggio's problem was that they new that they would be unable to afford all the development cost themselves. They first partnered with Learjet but did not understand that Learjet had their own financial problems. By the time the Piaggio was ready to be in production much of the advantages of low fuel burn as a driving factor in the marketplace had dissipated.

Interestingly, the original interiors for the Starship and the Piaggio were both design by the same person - Benn Isaccman. Long time head of interior design for Learjet that went independent with these projects.

Jacob Potts and john a barnes like this.
  17. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Jeff Kennedy, all newer Composite stuff has laminar flow in mind. But i think the Piaggio has an actual lifting body Fuselage IMHO.

18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The fuselage was not described as another lifting body. What it was described as, as clearly demonstrates is how it is not a constant section tube. More aerodynamically efficient but a far more complex construction. Go back and look at an original Constellation versus the stretched version.

The Piaggio is very, very fast for a turboprop. The crossover point was somewhere over a 1,000 nm trip where its block time of the Piaggio would beat the early Citations with a whole lot less fuel burn.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  19. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Now banned by many airports because of the noise they make, our private airport KSMO banned them about 6 or 7 years ago.

20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    KSMO is working very hard to throw all aircraft out. I hope they loose the lawsuits and are able to hold the city commissioners personally liable.

tritone, Kelowna, Jacob Potts and 2 others like this.
  21. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Yep, it's my neighborhood airport, I have been involved with the aviation community here to keep it open for years, set to close in 2028 as of now.

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    BJK and rob lay like this.
  23. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
  24. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The corporation I flew for out of Northeast Philly had one, and I got to do a trip in it. Very cool plane. Maintenance pig though since it seems it was always breaking. Then the other day we were departing 31L at DFW and off in the distance in the fire fighter’s training area you can see one sitting there. I told the FO,”Check that out! A Beech Starship!” To which I heard “A who?”:confused:

Kind of weird though. “Ok, we’ll put you through rescue training using this aircraft, but don’t remember anything since you’ll never see one of these!”:p

cheers
    Dave

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Attached Files:

technom3, SVCalifornia and alum04org like this.