Bees Swarm in 737 engine | FerrariChat

Bees Swarm in 737 engine

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Could not use a smoker at an airport? Wonder why.

Made it more difficult..

Apparently the bees could read and thought it was a Mango tree.
    Context, bees.

3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I missed if it said they were the aggresive Africanized bees.

Smoking them is largely for when they are in a hive and have an interest in defending it, as I understand it. It is used by some to herd them, but I haven’t seen it Done alot when collecting swarms. I think some prefer a gentler less disturbing approach since the colony collapse disorder. When swarming, they are not generally aggressive and the smoke would not have the effect needed as I recall. I had started to set up and learn bee keeping before I discovered the village ordinance would not allow it. (But live within Chicago and you can keep livestock at home....go figure.) Smoke would/could mask their swarming pheromones and interfere with the collecting of them, just as it is used to mask their defense pheromones that alert others to protect the hive when used around their filled combs. It also causes them to eat honey so they get too heavy to fly and defend the hive by going on the attack. They calm down as they fill up on honey. Being no honey is in the engine but just the start of swarming, I don’t see smoking them as a necessary ingredient here. Safer to not scatter the swarm by masking the swarm signaling. But, I imagine Final decision is due to all the fuel and that no open sources of ignition are allowed on the tarmac.

I think they would either bait them with the queen if she was quickly found, or a substitute queen, and they use lemon grass oil as an attractant in the capture boxes, as the odor mimicks closely the bee swarm pheromone.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Cute- A Lawn Dart with a bee beard.

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012