Beloved Stradale won't start | FerrariChat

Beloved Stradale won't start

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ernest Riggen, Mar 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ernest Riggen

Ernest Riggen Karting

Mar 21, 2005
    Morrison IL
    Full Name:
    Ernest Riggen
    Springtime -- chose today to get the Stradale out.

Turn the key - I hear all the usual noises and lights. But when I press the START button all I get is a hum like noise from the engine compartment. The hum continues for about 5 seconds after I release the START button.

Battery is 100%. Started it a few times over the winter without difficulties. Stored in climate controlled garage.

Any ideas?

THANKS

Ernest

2. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Any chance the car is stuck in first gear? If so you might try gently rocking the car back and forth a couple of times while pulling on the paddles to engage neutral.

LARRYH likes this.
  3. Ernest Riggen

Ernest Riggen Karting

Mar 21, 2005
    Morrison IL
    Full Name:
    Ernest Riggen
    Thanks for the suggestion -- I did check that and can even shift up and down etc. Not sure if I should shift it into 1st and then rock it back and forth but I can't imagine anything within the engine is 'sticky'. We all have heard about START button fussiness but something is trying to happen when I push it so I don't think that's it. F1 pump etc all seems to work in preparation to start.

Ernest

4. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #4 Red 27, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    barabba likes this.
  5. Ernest Riggen

Ernest Riggen Karting

Mar 21, 2005
    Morrison IL
    Full Name:
    Ernest Riggen
    I could video the attempt but not sure what to video. It would be a bit anti-climatic.

30 years ago I would rap the starter with a hammer if this happened. Not comfortable doing that this time :)

LARRYH and Red 27 like this.
  6. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you think it could be the starter then rocking in gear could help.

i thought maybe a pro could identify what the humming sound was.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I did send you a pm on the subject as I could talk you through things to test which is far quicker than guessing..

I hope it's not another dreaded immobilizer failure. I've had to fix quite a few cars lately and the ECU inhibits the car from starting or for example the ECU has failed due to a garage jump starting of a low battery or tender failing. Before jumping to any conclusions look at the following..

Did you try a battery reset?
    Did you check fuses and relays yet? Especially fuel pump, F1 pump and starter relays as well as ECU fuses.
    Did you check battery voltage and voltage drop during attempt to start with a multimeter?
    Did you check key fob battery or replace it?
    What's the alarm light doing?
    Have you plugged in an obd reader to check for any codes yet?
    Earthing strap point corrosion can be a good one to check too... There are quite a few points that can be systematically checked and cleaned.

Red 27 and one4torque like this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Connect a multi meter to the main positive battery cable , you will get the battery voltage. Press the starter and see if the voltage drops below 10.5 volts. If it drops more then either the battery is no good or you have a main power or earth lead connection problem. Any battery will give you 12 volts when it is sitting there, but if its no good it cannot maintain the voltage( you do get a bit of a drop on the start motor as big load). It sounds like the solenoid in going in but not enough juice to pull the starter in

Red 27, hessank and one4torque like this.