Belt Service on a 360 ?? | FerrariChat

Belt Service on a 360 ??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Seth Boyer, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth Boyer

Seth Boyer Rookie

May 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Seth Boyer
    I was just wondering if anyone that isnt a Ferrari mechanic has attempted to change the belts. Ive had the entire rear engine compartment off and covers for the belts. Was curious if this was a very difficult job at that point. Thank You

2. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Check this out

Can't get better than this

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Kevin Rev'n and deportm like this.
  4. UrbanHero

UrbanHero Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    New York Pothole City
    Full Name:
    M
    Please do it yourself... I was in that area changing my heat exchanger and it's a simple process... the only issue I ran into is applying the right about of tension on the belts... apparently there's a belt frequency tool thats needed.... thanks Ferrari

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

imahorse likes this.
  5. Seth Boyer

Seth Boyer Rookie

May 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Seth Boyer
    Awsome i appreciate all the responses! Is that frequency tool available to buy??

UrbanHero likes this.
  6. UrbanHero

UrbanHero Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    New York Pothole City
    Full Name:
    M
    Yes it is, but I believe at $1k new... apparently you can use a belt frequency app from in the Google play store or app store, it should be a free app.
    I recently had the 30k service done at the mechanic shop so I just mark where the bolts were and tighten it back to the same position.. belts had less than 100miles..

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Watch the video ..it shows all including the app

8. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    A Ducati meter can be bought but iphone apps are less expensive and the one I used matched the results with the Ducati meter.The procedure using the pin in the tensioner is very confusing. Lot of threads on the procedure.

9. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I did the major on my car. It wasn't that bad. Doing the timing belts was kind of scary as that was my first time changing timing belts. The Workshop manual helped a lot although it was a pain to sift through.

UrbanHero likes this.
  10. UrbanHero

UrbanHero Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    New York Pothole City
    Full Name:
    M
    Not so much alien technology like I previously thought lol

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lock and swaps are pretty simple. Degreeing the cams is a bit more involved.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've done majors (belts and the rest) on:

Stradale
    TR
    F40
    Mondial t

They are just cars (albeit expensive ones). The process is pretty straight forward. I had worked on my Fiats back in the day and a mistake there costs $10. A Ferrari mistake could be $10K. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

360trev likes this.
  13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Didn't a new set of belt how-to videos get posted here just a few hours before this thread

14. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Need Belt Tension Meter.

15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Look at post 3 here

16. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Just echoing everyone here. Just did mine this weekend. Used the iphone app for tuning my guitar to set/check tension on the belts. It works. I think ;-)
    It's an expensive mistake but a very rewarding job when done... I've done timing belts on non-interfering engines where a mistake doesn't cost any $.
    This was my first "high stake" timing belt job... Oh boy, I'm glad it's done.

1st advice, find TDC on compression stroke and mark all positions with your paint/marker/nail polish of choice. All cams and all rotating bottom sprockets. Make it obvious and non ambiguous. Take pictures. All before you take anything out! Mine already had marks, I just verified they were accurate with a wood dowel sticking out of cylinder 1 (easily monitored from inside the cabin while turning the crank)

I got some challenges to deal with along the way. For ex. when you remove the old belt and place the new one, the long leg of the belt may not perfectly align in the tooth on the crank and the exhaust sprocket. As tension gets released, slight movement can make the installation of the new belt a challenge. You just have to wiggle the crank just a bit in one direction or another to have the proper tension (before you even get the belt over the tensioner bearings). If you "jump one tooth" that long leg is too loose at it should really have one less tooth belt in between them.
    I also changed the hydraulic tensioners, it makes it much easier to install the belts, as you don't fight the belt over the bearing. Just route everything, keep the hydraulic tensioner swiveling on it's lower bolt, and then bring it into position and get the top bolt. then you can work on rotating the bearing for proper tension.

On the left side of the engine, I made the mistake of releasing the locking grip before putting some tension in the belt. It skipped one tooth and I ended with my intake off by 1 clockwise, by the time I removed the belt to fix it, it was out even more (like ~3 tooth). It was a real "b*tch" to bring back as those valve springs are putting serious forces against the camshaft. I ended up being creative and clamped the old belt around the intake sprocket and the lower sprocket and use the crankshaft to "pull on the belt" and move the intake camshaft back to where I need it, making sure the exhaust wasn't moving in the process. Then re-positioned the crankshaft back to my painted mark. And proceeding to do it right the second time.

I'd recommend doing one side at a time.

Some are capable of removing the belt cover on the left side (right when looking at it) without undoing the big coolant hose going down from the thermostat housing. I couldn't...
    As I changed my water pump and my heat exchanger, I didn't care much so took the easy route. And a coolant flush is a good thing to do during your major if it wasn't done anyway...

I did use the AV3207 special tool for locking the crank. Debated trying without it but I'm glad I didn't. Makes for a drama-free job.
    I used an Audi tensioner tool like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Schley-Tools-86400-Tensioner-Installation/dp/B007HO1BA0) for the bearings.

Do take all the spark plugs out, makes turning the engine by hand a lot of easier. You will be turning it many, many times over to triple check your work. And put new plugs in the process, it's cheap.

Anyhow, Had her idle for 10min, all good. This was slightly nerve wrecking the first time I turned that ignition key back on, even though I checked everything twice! Now I have to put her back together, rear hatch, under tray, etc,... Taking a break from the garage for a few days!

Happy wrenching...

Richard.

m5guy, Ghostdiver, f355spider and 5 others like this.
  17. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    fotostars: Question about tensioners... What made you decide to change them out? I recently had mine replaced at my 5 year major (25K mi.). Reason: My local friend with a Modena had one of his fail; luckily it was discovered at his recent major service (35K mi. I believe). No hydraulic tension left! Belt could have slipped at any moment. Mine had been changed once before about 10 years ago but they were still dated close to the year of production. NOTE: Tensioners and belts are dated. Bearings are not! So, again, what made you change them out?

18. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    For the reason you mentioned. They were dated 2001 (MY02). I was in there anyway and I wanted to sleep well for years to come after I was done ;-)

Alpintourer and f355spider like this.
  19. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    I have done it but i probably wouldn't do it again. For the time and money involved, I have an independent mechanic that does it all day long and he is fast. It's a nice experience to do once, but going forward I've just farmed it out to someone that's done 100's of them. That being said, go for if you want to learn a bit more about your 360!

20. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    If you do decide to do this yourself, I may be able to help you out. I did my belts last year, bought the special tools for locking the crank and tensioner holding tool. Since I replaced my tensioners as well, I have the locking pins that came with the new ones that are unobtanium anywhere else; (I've used drill bits and allen wrenches...they bent). Anyway, since I only plan on doing this every three years or so, it's a shame to have these tools just sitting in my tool box collecting dust. So to help out the guys that want to tackle this themselves, I am offering a Loan-A-Tool program just like some of the autoparts stores have. I make no money on this, just doing it to help out the community. Basically, you send me the replacement cost of the tool and I send you the tool. When you are done, send it back and I send your money back to you. I've done this already with one member here and everything worked out in the end.

If you are interested, send me a PM. I also have the tranny bushing tool for rent as well.

21. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
  22. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    You are most welcome sir!