Bendpak 4 post Lift....anygood? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bendpak 4 post Lift....anygood?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 11506apollo, Sep 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Dan, I was thinking of the same thing, having the garage door go over the hood only, not the whole car. I need to do some more measurements to see if that would fit, but could you advise the height of your garage door when it's opened? Also, I'm concerned about the width of the posts and whether or not I could still get another car in beside it. Could you advise the total width from outside of the post to outside of the post?

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #27 CliffBeer, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Oh that is ugly.

My 4 post is bolted down with 16 anchor bolts. The code in San Carlos is "bolt it down." It seems to be a good idea to bolt down the posts when the 3000 lb vehicle is 5 feet up in the air making the whole thing very top heavy.

4. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Floor to garage door 8'5"
    Outside post to Outside post 8'4" (Bend Pak Model # HD 9ST)

5. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I hope no one was hurt!

6. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't believe this lift that failed was a Benpak. Looks like a typical entry level $1,800 lift.

7. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    #32 JohnnyS, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    It looks like three of the four posts have the locks in place and the front passenger side was not locked. Either a lock failure or operator error. Yes, bolting would have held the posts in place and avoided this. No matter what, having a 4000 LB car on a lift requires care and respect for the lift. Haste makes waste.

8. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have a Bendpak and can tell you not only is good, the service is excelent. I bought the 9 series and the narrowest one they had. This proved to be a problem with my TR and Speedline 18" wheels. They were just slightly too wide. I emailed Bendpak to see how much it would cost to get the next widest cross member and associated parts needed to widen the lift. I got an email back saying they would do it for nothing and I mean nothing. They paid for the shipping and they paid to have my original stuff picked up. Until you need help you never really know who your dealing with. Five stars on the service and quality has been great.

John

9. Rossa a nord di

Rossa a nord di Karting

Apr 30, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario, Can
    Full Name:
    Brent Pilon
    Agree 100%

10. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #35 KKRace, Sep 7, 2010
    I believe the Bend Pak is one of the best four post lifts you can buy. If you were talking two post I might argue for Rotary.

If you do buy the Bend Pak I have a brand new pnumatic Bridge Jack for it I would like to sell. It has never been used. I got two when I bought the lift and I only use one so I never bothered to install the second one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, that is nice. It looks like it rolls on rails on the BendPak unit. Do you think it would fit on another lift and operate safely without those rails, but with a ledge that supports a jack tray?

12. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks

13. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #38 KKRace, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    I don't know about the pic with the corvette but I'm not convinced it would have helped if it was bolted to the floor. Concrete isn't all that strong in tension when you have a big lever arm prying the anchors out of the floor. In a home garage the floor is probably not more than 4 inchs of concrete if your lucky and they actually poured it to code.

The nice thing about the Bend Pak is it has two sets of safety locks. One is just for the cables and only gets activated if a cable snaps or comes loose for some reason. It makes the Bend Pak a little tricky to assemble but if you read the instructions carefully it's not a problem. The cheaper lifts only have one set of safety locks and are run from mechanical linkage. The only way I can see a lift like that falling is if the cable snapped while lowering the car and the safety locks where being held disengaged to lower the car. The bend Pak would not do that since the second set of locks would engage as soon as a cable snapped.

The other posiblility is the idiot tampered with the safety locks to make it easier to raise and lower the car without having to hold the safety open.

14. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I went out and took a look at it and it is designed to work with the lip of the Bend Pak however I guess you could weld a piece of flat steel to the upside down C-channel and attach a slab of nylon or delrin so it would slid on a flat surface. I don't know if it would be worth the trouble?

15. Snow Trooper

Snow Trooper Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    Truckee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jared Van Leuven
    Just to add more feedback on the main question. I run a bendpak for my 4-post and I love it. When it came time to decide I thought about the fact that in all the shops I have worked the only 4-posts that held up in my personal experience were the bendpaks. Some other brands are great also, but I hadn't used them a lot.

For two posts I really like Mohawk the best with the normal main brands following closely. I would never in a million years even put a car I care about on a cheap knock off 2-post. Let alone get under it and work on it.

Mine isn't bolted down, I can push it around and that part is nice. On car dollies I can roll it outside.

Another piece of advice is to around to your local shops. Go look at what they run day in and day out, ask about their experience with the local rep and how support has been. That can be paramount.

I cant post pics but here is a link to it
    [​IMG]

16. Snow Trooper

Snow Trooper Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    Truckee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jared Van Leuven

I had the exact same experience on the hd9st in the past. They are a great company.

17. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Had my HD-9 installed this week. Works and looks great. Now if I can get a kitchen pass to do some work in the garage.

18. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Bendpak installer will come over towards end of next week to install it. I plan on taking lots of pics, and posting the work here.
    Cheers.
    P.S. Nice to see SF winning in Singapore today....the car looked strong and fast.

19. jj525

jj525 Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Virginia, Florida
    Exactly the same experience, these guys are the best in the business.

20. mechgineer

mechgineer Rookie

Sep 27, 2010
    agreed. great customer service

21. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #46 KKRace, Sep 27, 2010
    I recieved a deposit for the Bend Pak Bridge Jack. I figured I'd post that it has been sold since I'm still getting requests. I do have two other items for the Bend Pak 4 post lift for sale.

The rolling DP-30 oil drain and the WSA-100 air/electric utility work station. I'm guessing either item would work with any four post lift.

22. BendPak

BendPak Rookie

Oct 1, 2010
  23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I am considering adding a bridge jack to my bend pak lift and have a couple questions.

Does anyone use a bridge jack with their bend pak lift?