Bent rim on a Maser | FerrariChat

Bent rim on a Maser

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ebrigham, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    This weekend somewhere in NJ on the highway. Nice hole in the earth pops up out of nowhere (Wasn't even in a construction zone). I basically knew it was toast when I heard/felt the impact, which was much harder than any other bump I have ever hit. Remarkably, I didn't notice any difference in handling even though their was a small flat spot on the rim, and a small bubble in the side wall. Replacing both as we speak and having the dealer to check the alignment.

Anyone else do this with their Maser? I know 18" rims like these are suceptible to damage regardless of make/brand...

2. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well it didn't happen in a Maser, but it did happen in the Audi. My brother was driving the car on a back road during the winter and hit a large pothole causing the right side front and rear wheels to "center bend."

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I feel your pain! I had to have a front wheel repaired (slight flat spot) and 2 front tires replaced after a pothole encounter a couple of months back.

If you want to save a few dollars, you may want to have the front wheel repaired (~$150) instead of replaced ($1000+). You will need new tire(s) anyway. I opted for the repair and it works fine (no problems at 7000 rpm in 6th).

Best of luck

- Jon

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Had them replace both tire and rim - dealer thought it was a little risky to repair (thanks for the suggestion). It's just my luck that I had to replace the only rim that WASN'T curb rashed...Luckily no damage to suspension. Good to know I will have the car for the long weekend.

5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    The Maserati has such low profile tires that I am very paranoid of pot holes but have almost totaled my car twice swerving at the last second to avoid ones. Boy will I feel stupid if I do wind up crashing car just to save expense of a new tire

6. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    My specialty seems to be curb-rash. I have qrown quite adept at scratching the super buttery aluminum paint Maser uses in the rims (BBS I think?). Scott, if it makes you feel any better, the car handled itself quite well over the bump - steering did not deviate at all during the "incident".

7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I never park along curbs for that reason. I joke that my car is an inside only car, Other than when I am driving it's either inside my work or house garage. The couple times I have had to park to run into a store my biggest problems seems to be judging the distance from the nose to those concrete curbs they use in parking lots.