Best 2019 “Rookies” | FerrariChat

Best 2019 “Rookies”

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Mar 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Who will stay in F1 past this year?

1. Albion

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Russel

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Norris

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  4. Giovinazzi

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Kubica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kyvat

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Who will stay in F1 past this year? Including a couple who’ve just been on holidays for a bit ;)

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Sorry for the misspellings :)

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Kubica and Kvyat hardly rookies?

I think Russell is the better of the actual rookies but he is in (by far) the worst car, so he won't be able to show anything in that car. With the way Williams is going, he might not have a drive next year at all through no fault of his own, just Williams' incompetence.
    Lando is Mclaren's (and F1's) much hyped rookie, because he did some funnies on the internet. Mclaren have plenty of cash in their koffers to keep going and they'll keep him on longest. Based on his F2 season last year though....so far I'll say ''overhyped''.
    Albon I quite like, surprised almost with his quick turnaround to adjust to F1...I'll remind everyone he was doomed to a Formula E seat until Red Bull gave him a call as he was about to sign...he's out there to prove a point and I think he'll do ok.
    Giovinazzi is a likeable guy in what I believe is the better of the cars for rookies. Though he doesn't need to finish on Raikkonens tail, he needs to be close enough to haul the point in or he'll be an expensive sore for Alfa. If he doesn't perform and young Mick does in F2 his drive in F1 won't last long.

So I think Albon and Norris we'll see next year for sure. Russell really depending on Williams. Didn't vote for Kubica either as same boat as Russell and he's not a rookie. Same goes for Kvyat, not a rookie...but we'll see him next year I'm sure.

Igor Ound likes this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #4 Igor Ound, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    That’s why I put “rookies” in quotes :)

For someone leaving there needs to be someone else coming too. Ocon, Schumacher and Ticktum the best bets imo and we know where they might end up...

Bas likes this.
  5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Norris is real talent, karting world champion and Euro Formula 3 champion. Russel is very good too but driving for Williams might hurt him.

Albon has had ups and downs in his career, I thought he was not a F1 seat contender anymore and would move to GT when Toro Rosso called him.

Kvyat destroyed everybody in GP3, and had some great races in F1, but lacked maturity.

Bas likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Norris is talented for sure but a big let down last year.

7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Are you serious?! He was vice-champion right in his first season!

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. WAY behind Russell, in both points (287 v 219) and race wins (7 vs 1). I found quite a few races he was quite lackluster in his performance.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Well, I respectfully, vehemently disagree. Lando was vice-champion in his first year with Carlin, an awesome squad but clearly two steps below Prema and ART GP, and one step below DAMS.

If Lando raced for ART instead, I pretty sure Russell would have had a much tougher time.

Isobel and Bas like this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fair enough. His F3 season was great no denying that. Lets see how he gets on at Mclaren. if he's near Sainz he's obviously ready.

dflett likes this.
  11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Difficult bunch here.

I went with Norris.

Reason--> he did some laps in the MCL33 and came close to matching Alonso's time.....albeit they were FP's.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Well so far I do stand corrected :p

13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    So, looks like it's the best Mclaren qualifying in years... Not bad for a rookie that " disappointed" in F2. ;)

jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Pleasantly surprised I am with him, really am. Very impressed with his performance. Dominated Sainz. Sainz continues to prove he's not the racing God he thinks he is...

jgonzalesm6 and Flavio_C like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Bahrain quali 2019.

Not bad for the rookie(Norris). P9

16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Fact: Norris is the first GP driver name after a Star Wars character to qualify in the top ten.

17. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Both Norris and Albon have looked impressive.

18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Russel is the obvious stand out rookie to me. He is dragging that utterly useless Williams round the track and making Kubica look ordinary in the process. He is level headed, mature beyond his years and he deserves a better car pronto. He has the potential to follow a similar trajectory to Leclerc. I would like to see him replace Grosjean at Haas immediately, as let's face it, Grosjean is the second worst driver on the grid (after Stroll).

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Quoting myself :D. First time I saw Lando racing was in 2012 at the Wackersdorf circuit. He impressed a lot back them although at that time the star that everybody was talking about was Verstappen.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Good-eye Flavio!!

Norris definitely "under the radar".

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I reiterate my comment. Norris is the real deal. 2 races, not a fluke!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Russell testing for Mercedes tomorrow! He’s the man. Definitely one to watch. Could he replace bottas?

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    No, cause Vettel will...

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I disagree, Robert certainly struggled in australia but was very match on pace with George last weekend, both switching positions quite often. WE mustn't forget Robert was almost 8 years away from single seaters, , Russel as been competing all of this time, so obviously Kubica has a bit of catching up to do.

stavura and Bas like this.
  25. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I think that’s a romanticised view of it based on Roberts past great performances. The fact is he did loads of testing last year. He isn’t new to F1 and he’s being shown up by a new boy with no real F1 experience. I’m sorry to say that I don’t think Robert is going to make it back. Russel on the other hand has great potential and his test for Mercedes proves that the paddock thinks so too.

P.Singhof likes this.