Best 430 Exhaust | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best 430 Exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by sk90077, Jul 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    I agree, especially when you add hyper cats as I did on mine. Dyno syas I now have somewhere around 565HP at the flywheel. That's 460ish to the ground.

2. 360dragon

360dragon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 6, 2004
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Adam C.
    what about novitec?
    I was talking to them last year at sema and I thought I remember the guy saying that ther 90mm exhaust would not fit the stock bumper? Is this correct? how does it sound?

Mr Fab speed, what size are the tips on your system?

Who makes cats for the 430? Are they 100cel cats and can they pass CARB (ca smog laws)?

Is there any issues with the car having the cats changed?

thank you to all the people who have answered my questions.

3. damaged

damaged Karting
    BANNED

Mar 1, 2006
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    D
    Not on a Ferrari, but have installed there systems on clients Porsches, I like the up grade.
    Trying to get F-car owners to by USA built systems is hard.
    Best system I have every seen is a Borla system we had custom made for a SLR. It would have Cobra owner's weeping with joy. Quality workmanship and incredible sound
    Would love to try the Fab Speed on a 430

4. 360dragon

360dragon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 6, 2004
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Adam C.
    Anyone here the novitec exhaust for the 430?
    Also fitting issues with the 90 tips?

Who makes CA smog leagal cats?

Fabspeed
    kresing / eisenhaus (not sure on spelling)
    other??

I got pletty more question to try to figure out the best setup for sound as originaly posted and performance gains.

5. 360dragon

360dragon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 6, 2004
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Adam C.
  6. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    I'm not sure if this has been explained properly....so let me toss this in:

The 360 sports exhaust, the 360 CS exhaust and the stock 430 exhaust all share the same design...they utilize a vacuum-actuated bypass valve which gives the exhaust a dual personality. At low rpm's the vacuum draws the butterfly valve shut...the exhaust is then forced upwards into the muffler and then back out the pipes which run to the exterior tips. An arguement can be made that at low rpm's the back-pressure helps the engine and I think it's nice to have a mellow zone so you can talk to a passenger, take a phone call and drive by a police station without sweating....

Around 4,000 rpm these bypass valves start opening-up....once fully open the exhaust gases do not flow through the above muffler section but instead come rolling straight-out the back inner-tips....this is why Joe observed (correctly) that there can be no less restrictive flow. This is also a very loud non-restrictive sound, even the Capristo level 3 is not louder (because the stage-3 still runs it's gases through a muffler-like chamber).

This is NOT a straight-pipe configuration. The straight-pipe is merely an open pipe which replaces the cat's (which come before the whole muffler system).

As for other differences, each motor (355, 360, 430) has different displacement and in the 355's case 5 valves...even with identical exhaust systems they'd all sound different.

As for which is better, I'm utterly & thoroughly convinced that it's exactly like arguing which gal is hotter: the blonde, brunette or red-head.....it's so incredibly subjective that it's almost not worth asking or discussing.....each driver/owner has to figure it out for themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I'd like a 3-stage system: one that is like stock at low rpm's, then a deep rumble like a Tubi at mid-rpm's and then a screamin' Capristo at the upper range. :)

Watch & see if someone doesn't highlight that paragraph and comment that they call that such system a Novitech...:)

7. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Not on a 430. On the 430 the valve opening is dependant upon acceleration. You could be doing a stable 100mph and as you are not accelerating the valves are closed.

8. RC33

RC33 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Garden City
    Full Name:
    RC33
    Hi Steve,
    If what you wrote is true, so there will not be a significant difference between the stock and the various different aftermarket exhaust since it all pretty bypassed and straight thru. The muffler only affects the sound when the exhuast gases are not bypassed.
    So is the cat the real culprit for all the excitement? Hence, we should be discussing about the different high flow cat options instead. So which is the best cat for F1 sound with 'no check engine light' worries?

9. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    That is correct....the Kreis, Twin & stock mufflers use bypass valves which open-up & allow the exhaust to flow right out the inside tips....just look at any one of these system closely and you'll see that. Accurate observation! :)

As for cats, I'm not certain, but I don't recommend it...you need them to pass smog, we should have them for cleaner emmissions, it's a big-ticket item if you're caught, and the noise/sound increase is significant without them.

The Tubi, non-Twin Capristo's, X-Ost and other mufflers don't use bypass valves...so I can't see how they'd be louder, but they could perhaps resonate with a different sound and offer (what is obvious very subjective) a different & better tone.

FWIW, time and again I hear owner say the stock 430 is PERFECT....so as much as we're often compelled to "upgrade" by blowing money into something shiny & after-market....perhaps Ferrari already has given us the perfect exhaust to begin with?

10. 360dragon

360dragon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 6, 2004
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Adam C.
    I am pretty sure Ferrari has to deal the lawyers like all the major car companies. So changing the cats to higher flow and changing the muffler to try to get more flow and a better look is really releasing the car not "modifying it".

My 2 C

11. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
  12. 360dragon

360dragon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 6, 2004
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Adam C.
    What level?

13. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    What Capristo calls dual stage which is stage 2 and 3.

14. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    This is Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports.

The F430 muffler bypass valves open at variuos RPM points on all F430s. At cold start they are open and at large throttle blips they open and then close as the car comes back to idle.

The car sounds great right from the factory.........but as you eloquently put it..."there are Blondes, Redheads and Brunnettes...".

The Fabspeed sports racing catalytic converters we use are imported and will not set off a check engine light and comply with 50 state emissions including California comply with Ferrari factory warranty. Fabspeed uses these imported high flow catalytic converters on our exhaust systems that support up to 800+HP on Porsche 996Twin Turbo GT2 cars. The cats can easily handle 500HP from a non turbo F430.

Someone asked how big are the F430 Fabspeed tips. Quad 3.5" 89mm and we offer the replacemnet bolt-on tips for the F430 with or without valves. Without valves means the F360 or F430 exhaust is always open and all 4 pipes are carrying exhaust and sound.

Theer are 6 catalytic converters on all F360 and F430 cars. The 1st set is welded and located in the exhaust header collector and can not be removed.

Then there are 2 sets of catalytic converters on each side that are easily unbolted and swapped out for sports racing highflow catalytic converters. The change to sports racing cats really wakes up the car in terms of additional fantastic sound and more power and dramatically improved throttle response. I have a Video that doisplays all of this on our website. A set of replacement tips and sports cats for any F430 is sheer magic on an already magical car! If you already have an aftermarket exhaust on any F360 or F430 then the addition of sports racing catlytic converters ONLY intensifies the Ferrari F1 experience........while 100% complying with emissions and warranty.
    If someone wants to come to Fabspeed Motorsports just call ahead and you can sample a F360 spider with sports racing cats and early next year a F430 spider with stock OEM muffler and sports racing cats and tips.

have a great weekend
    Joe Fabiani
    Fabspeed Motorsports
    283 North Main Street
    Ambler, PA 19002-5065

www.fabspeed.com
    [email protected]

15. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    #65 MordaloMVD, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally got around to it. This is a Capristo dual stage with Fabspeed cats. The car was stone cold so I didn't want to go to crazy. Enjoy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Did you do the exhaust and Fabspeed at the same time?

17. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    Yes. According to the dyno it was 420ish to the ground before and now it is 460ish. That is 565hp at the fly wheel. Not too bad me thinks. The biggest diff is at the bottom end and midrange.

18. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I was trying to figure out how much difference the cats made to the stock system.

19. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    An extra 40 hp is good or great. I bet the torque went up and started sooner.

20. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    By the seat of my pants, you are correct. The car actually starts stepping sideways at launch in sport mode. Great for me, but makes the folks next to me nervous. :)

21. WC430

WC430 Rookie

Sep 10, 2006
    You gained that much power just from an exhaust and race cats?!?! Any ecu tune, etc.?