Best Autobahn for Speed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best Autobahn for Speed

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Tradeur, May 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Yeah, the best thing to do is to gradually gain speed. If you're really not used to it, start driving at 200 or so, and you'll already see it's not so easy and you can easily miss an Autobahn exit or so. Then again, driving really fast isn't as fun as 30 more years of your -hopefully- happy life !
    Lastly, if you go to Köln, you can stay at Hotel im Wasserturm, the rooms are fun.

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    On a quiet sunday morning I'll head up to the stretch of autobahn by Singen. I always wait until there is an empty stretch, which is surprisingly never a problem and never overtake anything at more than 200km/h. Even at those speeds the turbulence from a truck can pull you off the road. But once its clear then its on the gas. But I need a little longer than Wolfgang to reach anything over 260km/h in my poor mans V8 :)

3. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Thanks Wolfgang for opening the Thread!

Last week I've talked with two friends about the quality of Autobahn in east Germany and can tell you the results now. One of them drove to Berlin last year and the brother of the other one lives in Leibzig. They both told me that the A9 from Nürnberg to Berlin is very good and most of the time no speed limit. But they also said you have to be carefull because there are some dangerous curves.
    Thats all proved info I have about it but they told me that the A3 and A7 should be qiute good, also they've never been there.

Martin

4. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Thank you all for your insights! You posted lots of valuable info and opinions we could never have gotten anywhere else. My next visit to the Autobahn is going to be well organized, fun, and safe. Hopefully this thread will also constitute a useful reference for everyone interested in driving their Ferraris on the Autobahn in the future.
    Take care!

5. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Hello all:

I just drove my Ferrari 612 Scaglietti from the factory pick-up in Maranello back to my home base in London, UK, partially through the Autobahn. I woke up at dawn a couple of times to experience the A81 between Konstanz and Stuttgart as recommended by maranello71, and also the A5 between Darmstadt and Frankfurt. It was very enjoyable. I posted some pictures of the car in this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63788

I obviously played it safe at all times, and drove at speeds that were appropriate for the car, the driver, the road and the traffic.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dont know how busy the autobahns are in germany but in France even thought its illegal , you can do 300+kmh safely as there are a lot of 3+ lanes highway virtually empty. The only risk is your car going wrong..

7. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Yes, that's the sad part: it's either safe or legal to go above 300km/h, but not both.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Its legal as long as they dont see you :D

9. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Congrats on your new car. Very nice colorcombo for the 612.
    Hope you come and show it to us at meetings/events on the mainland!! ;)

10. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Would love to. I'll be driving from England through Germany to Switzerland in the 2nd week of August. If there are any meetings/events around that time I'll be glad to make a little detour!

11. plasmid

plasmid Karting
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005

;)

agreed completely. on the other hand france is lllllllloooooooovvvvveliiiii