Best Aviation and Weaponry Collection | FerrariChat

Best Aviation and Weaponry Collection

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Solid State, Dec 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sure if this has been posted before but saw that its online now and wanted to give a heads up. Talking about the National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio.

I've been there three times over the years and it just blows me away. If you are an aviation nerd there is no better place on earth to see actual aircraft from WWI to present including missiles, experimental aircraft and military weaponry. The museum is free to the public. Expect to spend several hours to take it all in. What amazed me most was these aircraft are the real deal - not fakes. Some are famous and very significant to history. The preservation is great for both the aircraft and weaponry. If you were in the Air Force (or military) then you will likely see some familiar aircraft.

Its setup in chronological time from WWI, Korea, Vietnam, WWII, Cold War, etc. What I found today was there is a virtual tour available online. The link is:
    https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Virtual-Tour/

Click on the virtual tour link and then click through each scene. There are neat icons to click on and a media screen will open and you can get more info including videos on items. If you hover over most planes you'll see their designations.

Here are a few of my favorite screen shots. I seemed to be most impressed with the nukes instead of the aircraft but there's just so many cool aircraft to post. And how often can you walk up to a multi-megaton thermonuclear device?

Enjoy and if you take the tour try to post your favorites. There's a lot of great aircraft including stealth drones.

Exploded view:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bockscar:

Little Boy and Fat Man:

High testosterone gunship:

DaisyCutter (15,000 lbs conventional):

Mark41 Thermonuke:

B2 and SR71:

Ballistic Missiles:

MERV:

A Dodge?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Very cool. My son would love it!

They have a few excellent air shows every year, too, right?

Matt

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wright Patterson is just awesome. If you love military aircraft its a place you have to go.

Its one of the few places you can see one of my favorite planes (don't ask me why), the Convair B36 Peacemaker

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The National Museum of the USAF is great and I have been there dozens of times. If you are interested more in weapons, plus aircraft, try Eglin AFB's armament museum near Ft Walton Beach, FL.

http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/

Solid State likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    She's a beauty!

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I'm not sure. Each time I went, it was tied to business in the area and many of our team members still had friends working there. Great bunch of guys.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was able to visit this marvelous place last year and it is a national treasure.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    This year was the 100th anniversary of the end of WW-I at 1100 on 11 November 1918. NMUSAF hosted a WW-I fly-in in October with replica WW-I aircraft, some with original WW-I engines.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would love to go there sometime!

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The Wright brothers bike shop is a nice side trip, and getting there you get to see Dayton in all its glory :rolleyes:

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
  12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I went there last year and I still think that the sexiest airplane in there is the Hawk P-6E.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Difficult to argue with that...

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The opposite of the B-24 (above)... UGLY and awkward. Often called the "Box that the B-17 came in"...

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

But they made more B24's than B17's in the war. That might be one factor. It was engineered to be massed produced faster.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

...and it was faster, but about the same payload.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not as tough as the B-17, though. The German fighter pilots loved them.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Life was cheap then. Today we would call the losses horrific.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The B-24 was an entirely different airplane that benefitted from newer design technology. The B-17 was a transitional design that held over archaic design elements that were mixed with the then new semi-monocoque design techniques. It was over-designed in many areas in 1935 because Boeing relied on its experience in previous truss designs and the B-17 carried the weight from it. However, that also produced a composite structure and the airplane was hard to kill. The B-24 was all shear web and stiffener style construction and much lighter. It could outrun and out climb the B-17 up to 27,000 feet but that was when the Davis wing quit. It had terrible high altitude flight characteristics and required some wrestling to keep it under control. Engine out situations took four feet on the rudder sometimes and if it was hurt bad, it didn't fly well. But, it was easily produced and performed well in all theaters. Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomkatf and jcurry like this.
  20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was not over seas but I was active in flight operations. There were a lot of fatal incidents and one could become used to it and I have been criticized for my detachment sometimes. Even before I went into the service we were assaulted by a constant barrage of fatal crashes all around us from the training fighter bases that surrounded us. If I remember correctly, there were 45,000 fatal incidents in the stateside USAAF from 1942 to 1945. It was a daily occasion.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There are so many stories like this that no one ever talks about. I remember hearing about the women test pilots who flew or shuttled p-51's out of Hawthorne. One day one girl went up, flew out over the ocean, and never was heard of again. Just another casualty of the war. Find another person and move on.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Accident rate in 1946 was 144 Class A accidents per 100,000 flight hours. It is now less than two. That is a lot of crashed aircraft and the war was over.

Bob (other Bob)- Those were WASPs that trained at Avenger Field near Sweetwater, TX. There is a WASP museum there, too. My father commanded a DEW Line radar station there from 1955-1957 (Sweetwater AFS).

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was in college with an ex-BAR man who went through D-Day and into western Germany. He told me of one winter operation where they had surrounded a village full of German soldiers. The snow was about three feet deep and the Germans where running out of the village on the only way out. My friend said that he laid down his BAR on the snow and fired, mowing down the retreating troops . I asked him if it didn't bother him to kill so many people. His answer. " No, just like shooting clay targets at a carnival." He never mentioned how many of his buddies were killed in the Hurtgen Forest ( Band Of Brothers) shortly after that. He was finally seriously wounded in that operation after fighting on foot through France and some of Germany and receiving 5 Purple Hearts. He was not a hardened killer type, he just did what had to be done at the time and then put it behind him. He had a cigar box full of medals but never said anything about it and played his ukulele when he wasn't studying. There were quite a few guys like him in my freshman class of 1950 and there will never be anything like it again. Army officers, Marines, Navy pilots, Army pilots, Infantrymen, Sailors, etc. They were a breed unto their own.

Solid State likes this.
  24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I lived on Wright Patterson as a child. I can't count how many times I rode my bike over to check this place out. Truly amazing!

jcurry likes this.
  25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Having been to the AF Museum fairly recently, on a trip through Dayton in July, I went to the "Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historic Site" instead. Unfortunately, the existing cycle shop is the first one the Wrights used; the larger second shop, where they actually built the Flyer, no longer exists. The general store on the corner, which looks exactly like it did in 1904 (and includes a display of Heinz' "57 Varieties") is priceless.