Best car your Dad drove | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best car your Dad drove

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Teenferrarifan, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu
    My Dad always had mondane vehicles. When I was 18 I bought a 66 Vette 427/425Hp. He never acknowledged the car thought it was foolish. One day I was taking a shower and heard the car start up in the garage. Dad took it for a spin and didn't want me to know. I think he had quite a thrill. I never let him know I knew he took the car and he never told me he did. I sure miss him. I'd do anything to have him back just to take him for a ride. (Missed but never forgotten)

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

1950's Morgan 4+4
    1950's MG TD

3. Craigger

Craigger Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Im new here, but this thread caught my attention...

Before my dad died, he had a absolutly flawless 87 BMW 635CSi (sport recaros m treatment etc) with 50,000 km, Red with black interior, we sold it because my mom couldent stand seeing that car in the garage with out him driving it...

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    When I was a kid in the 1970's and early 1980's, we had a 1976 buick Le Sabre (with smog equipped V-6- SLOW), and 1972 opel 1900 automatic wagon (does anyone know about that car? No much to say :) ). My parents are definitely not car people. FINALLY got them to buy a used 1985 528e around early 1990's with 60,000 miles on it. Didn't think they would still be driving the car in 2004......with 193,000 miles on it! Looks like crap inside, no clear coat left, and slow as a dog but......ice cold A/C, hot heat, and doesn't burn any oil! Go figure....the car is still tight!

I really don't know where I get my love of cars from....must have been all those days sweating in the buick or opel, neither of which had A/C or anything for that matter but an AM radio. The buick also ran after it was turned off for about 20 seconds, like a jeep someone was referring to in an earlier post :)

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Apparently my Dad had a yellow Javelin when he met my mom, but something must have happened to his interest in cars...

when I was growing up he had bland Americrap like Topazes and Sables, best cars were an '84 325i and an '83 Mercedes he got in '96. He still has the Mercedes and a Ford minivan, just bought a bone stock '03 Jetta in boring forest green.

6. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    My Dad was ten years old when the Depression hit, and it made a big impression on him, so he was very frugal. He was the original "Millionaire Next Door" guy. He bought used and kept them five years as part of his 'plan'. Still, he bought interesting cars (sort of). We had imports before they were cool. Fords, of course, because he was a Ford Engineer. He drove Anglias and Cortinas and my mom had station wagons.

Because of his job he was able to bring home various 'test vehicles', everything from the latest sedans to big honking class eight trucks. It was fun. My favorite was a 1962 Thunderbird Sports Roadster. I still remember driving around town with the top down and that big fiberglass tonneau cover behind my head. I loved it, and I still want one today.

Even though he was very frugal he understood and supported my love of cars. Since I paid my own way through private high school and college he rewarded me by funding a used (of course) Lotus Elan when I was twenty years old. I miss the guy...

7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    That was my 13 year old son posting about my 442. Yep, still kicking myself. I really poured a lot into that car.
    Added:
    Crower roller cam
    750 cfm Holley carb
    Jahns pistons
    High rise intake manifold
    Doug's headers
    4:56 gears (yes, 4:56--accelerated very quickly with no top end /115 mph).
    Hurst competition-plus spring loaded shifter
    Springs, swaybars and shock work
    Headwork-ported and polished

Kept it until I joined the Navy and while I was gone I left it with my parents. My mom cracked a piston while racing a SS396 Chevelle when she missed the 2-3 shift, hung in neutral and floated a valve, hitting the top of the piston. I told them to go ahead and sell it as I did not think I would have the time or money to do anything with it at the time. DUH!!

My younger brother still laughs about seeing the look on the face of the driver of the 396 when he saw he was racing my mom and getting beat. I used to race him all the time as we both were into fixing our cars up. He did not know I had left town and must have thought it was me behind the wheel. He was on the passenger side and could not see the driver through my brother. My brother says that she had him by about 2 car lengths and was opening the gap when she missed the shift............:>(

My dads cars..............
    Not much. He taught me to drive on a 52 Chevrolet coupe with the 3 speed on the column. I guess his neatest car was a 1941 Willys (bone stock). To him it was just an old car. If only......................

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I forgot the 1964 Alfa Spyder and the Alfa Guiliette(?) when I was 10 years old.

9. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Keep this thread going
    Erik

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    my dad is not a car person. nor is anyone in my immediate or even far-reaching-distant family. nothing, not one bit. not even so much as a DIY oil changer.

only thing that I recall my dad telling me about was an old 59 (?) merc with suicide doors. said his dad sold it when he went off to college without his knowledge. told me about the old days of drag racing his friends who spent a lot of money on their cars and he'd beat them each time. which is well... the same experience I had at the same age. =)

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Probably his Daytona .

12. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Cool? I don't know but I liked 'em.
    Two that come to mind:
    1958 Buick Super (see attached, not his car but same year)
    1964 Chevy Impala. "3 on the tree," it was old when I learned manual on it.

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

1963 Comet convertible with a 289 V8. It was a pale lemon yellow with white vinyl and a 4 speed stick.

The rest of his cars, including his current one were all boring AMC products or Chrysler luxo-boats like Newports or his present New Yorker.

He could have bought a new Hemi Cuda and given it to me for my sixteenth birthday.....but nooooo.......seriously I love the guy.......he's was just not much of a car nut.

14. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My dad passed away three months ago and I really miss him a lot. Before I was born he had lots of cool cars, a 30's Cadillac dual-cowl phaeton and an MGA racer, among others. After I was born cars were mostly transportation because we couldn't afford anything more. But his one indulgence was a 1961 Cadillac with foot-high fins, aqua blue with a matching aqua/white interior. I took it to my high school prom in 1986 and it was a hit.

He sold the car to buy one for me when I went off to college, a 1977 Datsun 280Z. I liked that car too, but thinking back I sure wish he had kept the Caddy.

Here's to you Dad.

Mark

15. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Cirtoen ID and DS

16. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    My 60 year old dad bought this a month ago.

It's a 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo with 20,500 miles on it and a bunch of modifications that will soon go away. One day when he was about 50 he called me and told me he was interested in an early MR2, which I dutifully found for him. He kept it for about 5 years, then got a Miata, now a new Mini, which the MR2 will replace. I have no idea who this man is. We owned a Vega, Pinto, OMNI, Chevy Celebrity, etc. when I was a child.