430 - Best Diagnostic Tool for 2005 F430? | FerrariChat

430 Best Diagnostic Tool for 2005 F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MichaelMatic, May 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MichaelMatic

MichaelMatic Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Hey guys, I'm looking for input on which route to go for an OBD diagnostic tool for an 05 F430? I'm trying to weigh pros/cons of cost vs utility between an X431 Pro Mini and an Autel AP200/Thinkdiag2.

I was leaning toward the X431Pro Mini as I would like the ability to bleed the F1 system, however I read some posts indicating that it wasn't fully compatible with a 2005 for F1/Ediff bleed? Is this true? Any insight would be appreciated.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The AP200 is just a "read" only tool
    The Thinkdiag and thinkdiag2 are very similar to the mini minus the e-diff support - The Thinkdiag uses same software and is much cheaper again minus the E-diff support
    I helped a few people with their cars and out of maybe 5 cars I think I was able to make it work on one ( 2005+). Please understand that some had their E-diff ecus updated which could have cause the issue of connecting as well
    I have suggested to some and some have done this .. buy the thinkdiag and then use a regulated power supply to flush/bleed the e-diff ( if needed)
    The other thought is to buy the mini and try it and then send it back if it doesn't work on your car and then buy the thinkdiag and power supply
    I haven't tried the Autel line - e.g. 919 , ultra on any 2005
    If you want to discuss further please PM me

3. MichaelMatic

MichaelMatic Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Thank you for the thorough reply, Dominick. So, it seems the thinkdiag would be the way to go. I'm assuming this is capable of bleeding the F1 system, just not the Ediff?

For a power supply/Ediff bleed, what would be used to transmit power? Just regular power supply leads?

Thank you.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Correct ..but so i am not misunderstood..the e-diff is part of the f1 system

You would need to get a regulated power supply from.amazon and then the best would be to get a old harness to connect to Ediff solenoid. I am sure you can make something with pins to fit as well (a little tight spot to work with)

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

MichaelMatic likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just one more thing ..the thinkdiag doesn't allow for remote diagnostics..the mini does

MichaelMatic likes this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You can also wire it up from Ediff controller behind seat ..a.little more involved but more comfortable

MichaelMatic likes this.
  7. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Can you share details of that method? I was thinking of using a low mA 12V switching power supply and tapping the leads of the solenoid.

Looking at the label on my e-Diff unit it shows the firmware has been updated. (behind driver seat) I've been told that X431 mini launch can do the e-Diff bleed but it did not work on my 2005.

HW 1.0 SW 1.30, has strike through w green pen. 2.19 written. Strangely when I read the module via the launch it tells me firmware 2.13

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Definitely what I have been seeing - updated E-diff firmware doesn't connect to Launch .. wondering if there was TSB for all 2005 ?

Tapping the solenoid is perfect .. I just was saying to do it more upstream due to the insultation and not getting under car .. depinning the connector and connecting directly from cabin .. re-pin afterwards

Here is a thread where I posted pin out

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-ediff-issue.673718/#post-149018020