BEST DRIVING ROADS IN THE WORLD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BEST DRIVING ROADS IN THE WORLD

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alvinjamur, Sep 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #26 spaghetti_jet, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
    In my opinion the Stelvio is nowhere near as good as it's hyped-up to be. I have driven it many times and there are a number of issues that will spoil the enjoyment. It is quite spectacular from a scenery and setting point of view but there are far, far better driving experiences to be had. Main issues are that some of the hairpins are so tight that many supercars can't take them in one bite. If you manage to get a clear run and build-up some speed you'll ground the front of your car on the entry to the hairpins if you're going up. The road is narrow, so overtaking is tricky but not impossible but at the weekends you're likely to get held because the road is packed with camper vans (RV's), bikers including pedal cyclists, hikers and people walking dogs etc. etc. There's even a bus service that uses the road. It's worth doing once to say you've done it but I would suggest going back a different way.

If you want half a chance of a clear run you need to get there as early as possible with good light. At the moment that would be around 6,30AM.

Regarding hotels, I would suggest to stay in Livigno. This is a winter Ski resort but in the summer there's plenty going on and plenty of hotels. THE advantage of Livigno is that Livigno is a tax-free enclave so you can fill up you your carfor MUCH less than you'd normally pay.

For your return leg you could try one of my personal favourite bits of road, the A6 Torino-Savona Motorway, final section near to Genoa (the rest is dull m'way):

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=44.331953,8.329353&spn=0.093443,0.21904&z=13

Torino To Savona is the best direction, the reverse run takes a different route. Properly high-speed, challenging curves, plenty of tunnels to enjoy the exhaust sound and very, very satisfying to string the curves together at high speed. A real test for car & driver. I have personally never been brave enough to take the road at 10/10ths because if you get it wrong you will crash.... badly & that's what makes it exciting.

2. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    South 101 from Washington to Oregon coast. Only found it through surfing, the second greatest sport...;)

3. alvinjamur

alvinjamur Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    ----- CUT & PASTE FROM HERE (THIS SENTENCE TOO) ---------

PLEASE only ADD to this list and repost as a fresh reply only. It's easier to have a fresh
    list at the end without anybody on this forum adding in fresh roads to drive on.
    Thank You!!

-- Europe --

1) Davos - Stelvio (Stelvio Pass)
    2) Nürburgring Nordschleife (55 miles SW of Cologne)
    3) "Route des Vins from Molsheim-Colmar-Freiburg-Offenburg-Strasbourg
    4) Apennines (Close to Modena)
    5) Ireland around the Dingle peninsula (Heck, almost anywhere in Ireland not in Dublin or Galway)
    6) Cap de Creus in Catalonia (Spain). Close to the French border, bordering the Mediterranean
    7) The romantic road in Germany from Frankfurt to Munich.
    8) France Route Napoleon from Grasse to Dignes Les Bains.
    9) St. Moritz, Switzerland to Lake Como, Italy (45-60 minutes)
    10 ) Forli, Italy to Florence, Italy on "SS67"

-- USA --

California:

1) Death Valley National Park
    2) Highway 1 (California Coast)
    3) Angeles Crest Highway (California Route 2)
    La Canada Flintridge to Wrightwood
    4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    8) Hwy 74 Temascal Canyon
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    10) Hwy 280 north of San Jose
    11) Rim Of The World Scenic Byway
    12) hwy 46 (James Deans last ride)
    13) Interstate 5 near Bakersfiled with no traffic (165 mph)
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF
    15) 110 freeway PAsadena to LA (also first LA freeway) early sunday morngin is best.
    16) Portuguese Bend (runs through the Palos Verdes penninsula)

OTHER USA :

1) Deals Gap (US 129, NC and TN)
    2) Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Durango and Ouray, CO)
    3) Death Valley National Park
    3) Great Smokey Mountains (Highway 129), Tennessee
    4) Blue Ridge Parkway
    5) Glenn Highway/SR1 south of Anchorage
    6) Connecticut Rt 7 from Kent to Lime Rock
    7) New York Rt 22 from Rt 684 to Millerton
    8) Vermont Rt 100 from Stowe to Londonderry
    9) New York Rt 44 from Amenia to Millbrook
    10) New York Old Montauk Highway
    11) Connecticut/New York North St Greenwich into Bedford
    12) Utah HWY 12 Between Rubys Inn and Loa/Torrey
    13) Road to Hana, Maui HI- about as gorgeous a drive as there can be on planet earth.
    14) Waimea Canyon Drive (to Kalalau overlook), Kauai, HI. Curvy and hilly- like driving on the rim of the grand canyon

-- Canada --

1) old #1 highway between Lake Louise and Banff very tight and scenic
    2) New #1 highway between Takaka Falls and Golden B.C
    3) Forks of The Credit Road, hairpin turn

-- Africa --

1) Atlas Mountains (North - South)
    2) Chapman's Peak Drive, Cape Town Southern Peninsula, South Africa

-- Asia --

1)
    2)
    3)

-- Australia --

1) Great Ocean Road, Victoria
    2) Black Spur, Victoria
    3) Anywhere in rural Tasmania

4. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Enjoyed Skyline drive just after dawn on Easter Sunday two years ago. Gears only, no braking allowed. Lovely.

5. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    #30 tactical, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heres my first hand opinion of the Stelvio (Stelvio Pass) that i did only a few days back. This pass is not a great driving road as such. One is very hard pushed to reach a speed of over 30mph at the fastest point going up the steep section, its not about speed there. This pass must just be put down to experience because of its location with in the mountains.
    The main problems with the Stelvio are these. There are two ways up and down the mountain pass, the steep way and the shallower way. I unwittigly took the steep way up which is very steep in places and there is very little airflow that feeds the radiators as the engine works hard. Also some of the corners have to be taken in two bites mainly due to the both the steepness and the angle of the turn. And boy is it a pain in the back side when there's another car turning the corner at the same time you are. Its a pain backing up or down to give way. But the main concern for low slung Ferraris is that YOU WILL damage the front lower section of your bumper. The road up the steep side is very harsh and the corners are very steep and WILL catch the bumper. For thouse like my self who saw the Top Gear trip to the Stelvio, i now know that they took the shallower route up the mountain and came down the steep side;);) They keept that quite;)
    After i had reached the top of the pass there were many cars over heating and being tended to. Mine was running at about 3/4, its usual temp was half.
    The way that i took down on the other side was the newly laid smoother and shallower climb road that i thought would have been a good way up the mountain. Had the steep way up been used as a way down, it would not have been to bad on the breaks compared to the none airflow to the engine climbing it.
    Once i reached the Ferrari hotel (Planet Hotel) The manager Franco asked me about my day and i told him that i had just done the pass and he took a sharp in take of breath. And said "no no the Stelvio is no good for Ferrari", he had seen much damage caused to some of the cars that had done it.
    So thats my first hand take on the pass fellas. Hope this prepares you. Its worth doing but i feel its my duty to tell you what to look out for:) Enjoy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. eklover

eklover Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2006
    From AK, now in CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Minor correction to "OTHER USA #5", it's the Seward Hwy A1 going from Anchorage to Girdwood. I love that drive and used to drive it frequently since I was born and raised there :)

Also I second the #14, the 550 and 552 leading up to Waimea Canyon are incredible! Albeit a little scary around some of the blind corners... ;)

7. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    Thanks! Few days too late for me, but sure will help someone else.

I also did the stelvio pass last wekend, and theres not much I could add. Even if I did it in an almight rental Renault Clio I managed to scrape the front. And usually having full steering in some of the curves going up. But exciting it was! The way down towards Italy was a real sweeper and an real enjoyment to drive, loved the narrow old tunnels. Worth to mention is that there are alot of car clubs, I saw gatherings of MR2, Miata, Lancia HF integrale. Also saw the new almost unmasked BMW 3 series facelift AND AN ALFA 8C + "the ordinary" supercars Ferraris, Porsches etc.

I stayed the night in Bormio, and then next morning continued to St moritz via Tirano and passo Bernina(?) and then back to Zürich. This was a also a nice "pass" with little more speed, even if it was deep inside an cloude when I drove it.

I'm out of space for attachments, but have some pics if anyone want's.

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    There is a road in extreme northwest Montana called the FDR(IIRC) road it is on the west side of Lake Koocanusa starts at Rexford and goes to Libby, about 75 miles of twisty stuff you will never have a better time. This road is accually owned by the Forest Service and on week days logging trucks use it but on week ends it is just you and 1 or 2 fisherman.
    Even the road on the east side of the lake is fun but more traffic maybe 10 or 15 cars in the 75 mile trip, hahaha.

9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You guys missed the most beautiful drive in the world::

The Road to Hana (Hawaii)

Enough said....

Mark

10. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    Nope did that drive only last night.......on the Playstation game "Test Driver" :D The whole driving game is set on the island of Hawaii:)

11. Classics in Camera

Sep 8, 2008
    nr Cochem, Germany
    Full Name:
    Helmut S.
    #36 Classics in Camera, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008

PLEASE only ADD to this list and repost as a fresh reply only. It's easier to have a fresh
    list at the end without anybody on this forum adding in fresh roads to drive on.
    Thank You!!

-- Europe --

01) Davos - Stelvio (Stelvio Pass)
    02) Nürburgring Nordschleife (55 miles SW of Cologne)
    03) "Route des Vins from Molsheim-Colmar-Freiburg-Offenburg-Strasbourg
    04) Apennines (Close to Modena)
    05) Ireland around the Dingle peninsula (Heck, almost anywhere in Ireland not in Dublin or Galway)
    06) Cap de Creus in Catalonia (Spain). Close to the French border, bordering the Mediterranean
    07) The romantic road in Germany from Frankfurt to Munich.
    08) France Route Napoleon from Grasse to Dignes Les Bains.
    09) St. Moritz, Switzerland to Lake Como, Italy (45-60 minutes)
    10) Forli, Italy to Florence, Italy on "SS67"
    11) Sicily, Italy - the old Taga Florio route: Cerda - Caltavuturo - Collesano - Campofelice di Roccella - Cerda

-- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF
    15) 110 freeway PAsadena to LA (also first LA freeway) early sunday morngin is best.

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway
    13) Road to Hana, Maui HI- about as gorgeous a drive as there can be on planet earth.
    14) Waimea Canyon Drive (to Kalalau overlook), Kauai, HI. Curvy and hilly- like driving on the rim of the grand canyon

-- Canada --

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1)
    2)
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria

--------------------------------

Hello

I have already driven almost 2,5 million kilometers on European routes, most of them to join motoring events in 18 countries

One of my fave scenic routes is following the old Targa Florio route - the so-called *Piccola Circuito delle Madonie* (72km/45mi). Start from the Tribuna di Cerda - Caltavuturo - Collesano - Campofelice di Roccella - Buonfornello straight along the coast and back to Cerda

The atmosphere is still breathtaking and you feel back in time. The first used Targa Florio *Grande Circuito* version was 148km/92,5mi but I prefer the shorter one. No idea how it was possible to race up and down the hills in about 30 min, that's why I call Nino Vaccarella, Arturo Merzario etc true motoring heros

http://www.acs-protargaflorio.it/en/home.htm

http://www.targaflorio-1906-1977.it/

general infos about Sicily:
    http://www.bestofsicily.com/aboutus.htm

don't miss that experience !

greetz Helmut

12. Classics in Camera

Sep 8, 2008
    nr Cochem, Germany
    Full Name:
    Helmut S.
    #37 Classics in Camera, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008

Thank You!!

-- Europe --

01) Davos - Stelvio (Stelvio Pass)
    02) Nürburgring Nordschleife (55 miles SW of Cologne)
    03) "Route des Vins from Molsheim-Colmar-Freiburg-Offenburg-Strasbourg
    04) Apennines (Close to Modena)
    05) Ireland around the Dingle peninsula (Heck, almost anywhere in Ireland not in Dublin or Galway)
    06) Cap de Creus in Catalonia (Spain). Close to the French border, bordering the Mediterranean
    07) The romantic road in Germany from Frankfurt to Munich.
    08) France Route Napoleon from Grasse to Dignes Les Bains.
    09) St. Moritz, Switzerland to Lake Como, Italy (45-60 minutes)
    11) Sicily, Italy - the old Taga Florio route: Cerda - Caltavuturo - Collesano - Campofelice di Roccella - Cerda
    12) Mont Ventoux, France: Bédoin - Sainte Colombe - Le Chalet Reynard - Mont Ventoux (1912m) - Malaucène - Bédoin

-- USA --

California:

01) Death Valley National Park
    02) Highway 1 (California Coast)
    03) Angeles Crest Highway (California Route 2) La Canada Flintridge to Wrightwood
    04) Glendora Mtn Road
    05) PCH
    06) Mullhuland Drive
    07) Mulholland Hwy
    08) Hwy 74 Temascal Canyon
    09) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF
    15) 110 freeway Pasadena to LA (also first LA freeway) early sunday morngin is best.

OTHER USA :

01) Deals Gap (US 129, NC and TN)
    02) Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Durango and Ouray, CO)
    03) Death Valley National Park
    03) Great Smokey Mountains (Highway 129), Tennessee
    04) Blue Ridge Parkway
    05) Glenn Highway/SR1 south of Anchorage
    06) Connecticut Rt 7 from Kent to Lime Rock
    07) New York Rt 22 from Rt 684 to Millerton
    08) Vermont Rt 100 from Stowe to Londonderry
    09) New York Rt 44 from Amenia to Millbrook

-- Canada --

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1)
    2)
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria

--------------------------------

Hello, and another excellent scenic route:

The MONT VENTOUX in Provence, South-France was one of the oldest speed hillclimb race in the world (1902/1996)

I joined that hillclimb in 2001 when Patrick Peter of PETER AUTO organized a fabulous RONDE de MONT VENTOUX (Revival)

This is the best route to enjoy one of the niciest parts of Southern France:

Start: small town of Bédoin
    follow the route on D974 - Sainte Colombe - Saint-Estève - Le Chalet Reynard (still follow D974) - Mont Ventoux (1912m) - Malaucène and back to Bédoin via D938 and D974

It's like driving a loop of about 50 (?) km. Of course you can do it the other way round but follow my advice to get the most spectacular impressions

Mont Ventoux map
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Mont_Ventoux_map-fr.svg

The Southern Road up to the summit (open this page and click on: Southern Road)
    http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/rapids/3892/

Mont Ventoux infos on Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Ventoux

picture link:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Haarspeldbocht.jpg

and now a brandnew info: (it's really HOT)

A new historic racing event will be launched in 2009 in France: Ronde du Ventoux. With the close support of the local authorities, Peter Auto launches the retrospective of one of the most exciting hill climbs ever which final edition took place in 1976.

Like the one-shot in 2001, the race –to be held every other year- will be shaped as a loop round the hill. Thus, starting from Bedoin, the car will run uphill to the Ventoux top and downhill by the other side of the mount.

Accepted cars must be the cars –or sister cars- which participated in the event from the beginning (1902) to 1976.

I keep you updated !

greetz Helmut

13. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
  14. vglnte1

vglnte1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Carter
    COPY / PASTE FROM HERE =========

-- Europe --

5) Ireland around the Dingle peninsula (Heck, almost anywhere in Ireland not in Dublin or Galway)
    6) Cap de Creus in Catalonia (Spain). Close to the French border, bordering the Mediterranean (in general, the overall Costa Brava is wonderful ... remember the Rally Costa Brava in the World Championship for Rallyes), and a much better climate than in France.
    -- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway
    13) N. Carolina dragons tail = cant believe you guys forgot this one!! AMAZING road
    -- Canada --

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1)
    2)
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria
    3) Anywhere in rural Tasmania[/QUOTE]

15. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    Very nice drive indeed, but claiming it to be the "most beautiful drive in the world" is a bit much.

Nobody should attempt that drive after eating a nice lunch.

16. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox

-- Europe --

6) Cap de Creus in Catalonia (Spain). Close to the French border, bordering the Mediterranean (in general, the overall Costa Brava is wonderful ... remember the Rally Costa Brava in the World Championship for Rallyes), and a much better climate than in France.
    -- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway
    13) N. Carolina dragons tail = cant believe you guys forgot this one!! AMAZING road
    -- Canada --

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1) The Silk road
    2) Kathmandu to Lahsa
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria
    3) Anywhere in rural Tasmania[/quote]

17. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Africa: Well I see not much is posted, not surprising really but in my biased opinion we have some of the best driving roads, you may ask why, well law enforcement is not as strict as it in in other parts of the world.

Here where I live in Cape Town we have around 5 mountain passes with 40 min from the city center( less then 40 min if you drive a Ferrari!).

For example we have the wonderful Franschoek Pass, a pass that many rate as being superior to the Stelvio(both Jag and Merc launched cars here, the XK and SLR). There is the Du Toits Kloof pass, again a fantastic road, or if you want to really savor Italian music you can go through the tunnel...all 10 kms of it. On the other side of this pass one drives in a huge valley, lovely open high speed corners, remember being in a Murcielago along this road a few years back and the sound was quite amazing...Of course there is the Karoo, a vast expanse, the road stretches ahead for km after km and high speeds are more than posssible to give you an idea in the Murcie we rarely dropped below 250-280 km/h for around 30 minutes...

Of course there is the Rooi Els Coastal road that resembles something one might find in Italy. Another fantastic road is Bains Kloof, majestic scenery but and some truly torturous corners.

Then there are numerous quite secondary roads that are mostly empty and inviting. South Africa has drawbacks but having good roads for Ferraris is thankfully not one of them!

Some pictures.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Cars/430andbay-1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Cars/lionshead2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Cars/ocean.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Cars/road23-1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Cars/road24.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Cars/road30.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Cars/road-1.jpg

18. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal

-- Europe --

9) Italy the arrival by the highway to Genova (from Milano / Alessandria)
    10) France "La Gineste" between Marseilles & Cassis, all the way an incredible view on the sea
    -- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway
    -- Canada --

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1) The Silk road
    2) Kathmandu to Lahsa
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria
    3) Anywhere in rural Tasmania[/quote]

19. Classics in Camera

Sep 8, 2008
    nr Cochem, Germany
    Full Name:
    Helmut S.
    #44 Classics in Camera, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008

-- Europe --

11) Sicily, Italy - the old Targa Florio route: Cerda - Caltavuturo - Collesano - Campofelice di Roccella - Cerda
    12) France, Mont Ventoux: Bédoin - Sainte Colombe - Le Chalet Reynard - Mont Ventoux (1912m) - Malaucène – Bédoin
    13) Italy the arrival by the highway to Genova (from Milano / Alessandria)
    14) France "La Gineste" between Marseilles & Cassis, all the way an incredible view on the sea
    15) Spain, the Sierra Nevada mountain road: Granada – Pico Veleta (3,392m)

-- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway
    -- Canada --

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1) The Silk road
    2) Kathmandu to Lahsa
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria

-----------------------------------------

Hi

this is another suggestion not to be missed:

The Pico Veleta is the 4th highest mountain of Spain and the second highest of the Sierra Nevada which seperate Granada from the Mediterranean Sea. The Sierra Nevada is situated in the South of Spain in the Adalucia region just a few kilometers North of Costa del Sol and the African continet.

The best starting point is Granada. Leave Granada very early in the morning to avoid its horrible traffic and air pollution simply following the sign posts "Sierra Nevada".

You reach the only skiresort in the Sierra Nevada, called Pradollano at 2500 m. It’s not a nice place but in winter time, so drive thru still following the signs "Sierra Nevada".

From here you can do the summit easily by following the "La carretera más alta d'Europa" - the highest road in Europe (!) which brings you to the summit. The road to the Pico de Velveta is an enchanting trip into the glorious mountain world on this excellent 50 kilometers winding up asphalt road which climbs from Granada (640m) to 3,392m / 11,129ft

No need to say that you may expect one of the most scenic routes which ends in an impressive mountain panorama:
    Pico del Cuervo (3.151 m), Puntal de Vacares (3.146 m), Alcazaba (3.371 m), Cerro de los Machos (3.324 m) and Mulhacén (3.482 m, highest mountain in the Iberian Peninsula).

I did that trip many times in the 80s and early 90s and highly recommend it.

greetz Helmut

--

P.S.: when you copy the above list, please take care that you don't cut off other suggestions by accident. I just completed the European section

20. vail

vail Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    Vail
    Full Name:
    Donaldo
    -- Europe --

11) Sicily, Italy - the old Targa Florio route: Cerda - Caltavuturo - Collesano - Campofelice di Roccella - Cerda
    12) France, Mont Ventoux: Bédoin - Sainte Colombe - Le Chalet Reynard - Mont Ventoux (1912m) - Malaucène – Bédoin
    14) France "La Gineste" between Marseilles & Cassis, all the way an incredible view on the sea

-- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway
    14) Independence Pass- Leadville to Aspen
    15) Vail to Leadville over Battle Mountain Pass
    16) Gore Pass- Tonopas to Kremmling
    17) Rocky Mountain National Park- Trail Ridge Road
    -- Canada --

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1) The Silk road
    2) Kathmandu to Lahsa
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria

21. mydas

mydas Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Vancouver

-- Europe --

-- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway

-- Canada --

4) Sea to Sky Hwy between Vancouver and Whistler (a scenic section of Highway 99 starting just north of Horseshoe Bay with mountains on one side and ocean on the other) undergoing major improvements at the moment for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
    5) The Icefields Parkway stretches 230km (142 miles) between Lake Louise and Jasper - easy access to the "most spectacular mountain landscape on Earth" - right through the Canadian Rockies. The drive has its own website - www.icefieldsparkway.ca

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1) The Silk road
    2) Kathmandu to Lahsa
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria

22. Classics in Camera

Sep 8, 2008
    nr Cochem, Germany
    Full Name:
    Helmut S.

Thank You!!

-- Europe --

16) Andorra: Pas de la Casa - Port d'Envalira (2,408m), Soldeu, Encamp, and Andorra La Veilla

-- USA --

California:

4) Glendora Mtn Road
    5) PCH
    6) Mullhuland Drive
    7) Mulholland Hwy
    9) Angeles Crest HWY 2
    14) Hwy 101 LA to SF

OTHER USA :

4) Blue Ridge Parkway

-- Canada --

4) Sea to Sky Hwy between Vancouver and Whistler (a scenic section of Highway 99 starting just north of Horseshoe Bay with mountains on one side and ocean on the other) undergoing major improvements at the moment for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
    5) The Icefields Parkway stretches 230km (142 miles) between Lake Louise and Jasper - easy access to the "most spectacular mountain landscape on Earth" - right through the Canadian Rockies. The drive has its own website - www.icefieldsparkway.ca

-- Africa --

-- Asia --

1) The Silk road
    2) Kathmandu to Lahsa
    3)

-- Australia --

2) Black Spur, Victoria

Hi again

I have added # 11, 12, 15 and now 16 to the above list

I recommend the scenic routes of Principality of Andorra, the only country in the world whose official language is Catalan.

Starting in France, it's a spectacular ride over the 2,100m pass at Pas de la Casa in the Pyrenees, Port d'Envalira (2,408m), Soldeu, Encamp, and Andorra La Veilla

The Pyrenees, which are older than the Alps, offer you more than mountainous terrain and twisting roads. They present a different and even unique driving experience

I wouldn't stay at the capital Andorra La Veilla because it's always overcrowed by tourists looking for tax free products. The town feeds a consumption-oriented bargain-hunting society.

The landscape of the Pyrenees is much more varied than you might imagine. Peaks are high and jagged, like the Alps or eastern Sierra. In other places the rock is older and eroded. Try the smaller quiter country roads to get Andorra at its best.

Looking around in the more remote areas, it's hard to see how people make a living. Compared to the rest of Europe, it appears a
    hard-scrabble existence with subsistence agriculture and no industry to speak of.

http://www.planetware.com/map/andorra-andorra-map-and-andor.htm

or Google for Pas de la Casa (map)

greetz Helmut

23. ameer20

ameer20 Rookie

Nov 9, 2005
    EU
    This thread seems to have died out, please contribute more if you can. Great thread!

24. f1karting

f1karting Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Jan H
    We all have our favorite bit of asphalt.. Heres mine..

The Duffy Lake Road portion of Hwy 99 heads east from Whistler to Lillooet BC in Canada..

.. it has to be one of the great roads anywhere. 1.5 hours of sheer outrageous fun, and if you time it right, you have the whole road to yourself...(and your friends)

.. it was freshly repaved in 2009.. very picturesque as well.

Had the 355 out on this stretch of road in July this year.. we were completely on our own to enjoy it one warm morning.. top down.. full chat. It doesn't get any better than that..

For this stretch of road, using Google Earth, simply enter the DIRECTIONS

.. then zoom down and manually fly the road.

------------------------------------------------

I look forward to discovering what roads the rest of us Fchatters enjoy driving on!!

Jan

25. f1karting

f1karting Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Jan H
    Using Google Earth I created a JPG image to post here (but for some reason the 'Manage Attachments' times out??).

It would be great is we could upload the *.KMZ file that Google Earth produces. Its a direct link to the target site in GE, but it wont upload to the site either (adminneeds to allow KMZ files??).

Ideally an automated tour file of the route would be very cool.. but dont think its possible (yet).