Best F430 Cellphone mount? | FerrariChat

Best F430 Cellphone mount?

Discussion in '360/430' started by GaryReed, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Can anyone recommend a decent quality cellphone holder/mounting system for the F430?

Thanks!

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    There are plenty of options for all types of mounts and mounting locations, so it depends on your preference (such as magnetic mount, adjustable grip, windshield, console, etc.) I would be more interested in cup holder options

3. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yes, I know there are lots of styles/options available. I was hoping for an actual recommendation.

4. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    gtwhaley likes this.
  5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I am looking for a mount that can be attached in the round air vents on the dash. I want my cell higher up for navigation.

Anyone have a brand/style that they like?

6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I made my own - sort of.

I hate wires trailing everywhere and gadgets stuck to windscreen, so set about making something neat and functional without having to drill any holes in anything, and can be updated or removed easily if required.

The basis of my mount is the Brodit Padded Holder with Cable Attachment.
    This was important as the main reason for this was for long journeys and trips.
    I liked this holder as it's just a matter of sliding the phone in and the connection is made, and of course removal is a cinch too.

The Holder is made to take the standard Apple Lightening Cable, however I wasn't keen on a white cable.
    Unfortunately every black cable is aftermarket and the physical size of the plug body is larger.
    Not to be deterred I milled out the connector orifice to allow my chosen connector to slot neatly in position.

The cable I chose was the Spooly "flat" cable, which will be come obvious later on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I knew exactly where I wanted it mounted, however there was nothing commercially available to do this.
    So it was out with the tools and make my own.

I had some 4mm thick black ABS plastic sheet lying around and after some measuring, cutting, sanding, bending, drilling and test fitting I arrived at what I wanted.

Once happy I then applied Flocking to the visible areas.
    I also applied adhesive backed felt sheet to the areas that coat into contact with the leather on the centre console.
    While not visible I still wanted to protect the leather form any potential damage.

As you can see in the next pic it sits perfectly in place.
    Also putting some felt pads on the underside of the clip part allowed it to reset against the top of the Airbag ECU.
    All this meant it was now nice and secure and not going to creep anywhere.

Now with the carpet trim in place the reason foe the "flat" cable becomes obvious.

And the finished article with iPhone in place.

So where does the power come from I hear you ask ?

I don't have a radio, so the switched feed for that used to power 12v Accessory Socket with dual output Charger.
    This is hidden up behind the dash. So the phone power cable goes under the trim and back up the Charger behind the dash.

As it is dual output I use it for powering the Tomtom - more on that later - which of course acts as my hands free.

And whenever I update my Phone it's a simple matter of buying the corresponding holder from Brodit, which is easily changed by undoing a few screws.

NachoRunner601 and crazy canuck like this.