Best Ferrari Coffee Table Book? | FerrariChat

Best Ferrari Coffee Table Book?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Neonzapper, Mar 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #1 Neonzapper, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    I want the best Ferrari coffee table book. I would imagine that it is thick, has a great cover, has many high quality colorful photos, and covers all the cars possible from beginning to present. I know of many books like that, but I'm looking for the "ultimate" Ferrari coffee table book. Is there such a book?

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Over the years, it seems that Hans Tanner's book has often gotten the nod, but it depends on where your interests lie. As a racing fan, my choice is Phil Hill's magnificent book.

3. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    IMHO the Tanner book doesn't cut it as a coffee-table book. Try the following;
    "Ferrari in Camera" by Nye/Goddard - mainly racing
    "Ferrari" by Clarkson - road cars
    "Ferrari Berlinetta" by Grohs - road cars
    "Ferrari" by Schlegemilch - good value - road cars
    Also look through this thread - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200937
    Nathan

Rosey likes this.
  4. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Thanks Jim and Nathan. Both of your insight is valuable, and I'm still checking out your suggestions. I guess there isn't just "one" book above all books to display on the living room coffee table, because there asre different interests to approach the subject. I'm still looking for a book to display to guests without getting into heavy manuscript. Again, thanks.

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I currently like the Winston Goodfellow book for it's many color illustrations and the fact that it includes biographies of the coachbuilders and engineers, as well as sections of F1 and sports racing.

Great picture of a 275 on the cover as well.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "A Champion's View" is indeed very well done...

Another one I read over and over, while not Ferrari specific is Nick Mason's "At the Limit" where he drives his whole collection, which does indeed include many very important Ferraris as well as his hilarious tongue in cheek narrative of how they all came to live at HIS house....

I can totally relate to all that....

I really don't think any one book will cut it besides the ex wife has my coffee table anyway...:rolleyes:.

7. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Thanks too, James and Bubba! I've been checking on all the authors/books everyone here has suggested, and it helps alot (because there are so many books on Ferrari out there).

Nothing beats purchasing two full costly lifestyles in only one lifetime, then giving the best one away, eh Bubba? :) I know all about it

8. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    #8 lil squid, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
    I would pass on Clarkson's book, not even Clarkson liked it.

If you are a more serious collector, Ferrari in Camera, but I wouldn't keep it on a magazine table for fear of spills and damage.

I was very impressed by my copy of Red Cars by David Kronenberg about the sharknose Ferraris; beautiful aluminum cover and beautiful art.

Lewandowski's Ferrari GTO book is stunning.

And then there is always "Ferrari Opus" by Kraken :)

Rosey likes this.
  9. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Not so quick - as a 'coffee table' book it ticks the right boxes. It's large size, 360+ pages, full colour, beautiful red silk cover. It's not very interesting to read, and Clarkson hardly wrote any of it anyway, but as a coffee table book ...........
    And you've got at least a year to save up for that one. But it will be the ultimate Ferrari coffee table book. If you've seen an Opus you'll know what I mean. They have a shop in Covent Garden, London where their current books (mainly about football teams) are on sale. Picture a book - page size 50cm x 50cm - so 1m wide when open - 800 pages, and weighing in excess of 35kilos. That's a coffee table book because your shelves aren't strong enough :).
    Nathan

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a nice, big and heavy coffee table book. Includes pretty much all of the early history and all of the road cars to the F-50.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Nice bold colorful cover! :)

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And, for what it's worth, Schlegelmilch also did a companion volume called "Ferrari Formula 1"......

13. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    I think Schlegelmilch and Lehbrink's book is the one they have at Books-a-Million near me, with a different dust jacket. IIRC it's a closeup of--wait for it--the prancing horse badge on a red car. Like they said in The Devil Wears Prada: "groundbreaking." This edition is copyright 2004 and goes up to the 612, doesn't have the 430 or 699, but the photography is first-rate, to my untrained eye, and it's a fun way to learn the classics.

Cover price is $30 and I've probably paid the Books-a-Million coffee bar several times that, buying coffee and cookies and reading the book for "free."

14. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    #14 doyler, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. AndyE430

AndyE430 Rookie

Jan 3, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The John Lamm 'Legends' book is a great read, but I'm going to have to check out some of these other suggestions as well!

16. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Terrific posting - pictures are always helpful in deciding, too!

17. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    As a professional photojournalist, I would agree with your taste. Schlegemilch is with out a doubt the greatest overall Ferrari photographer in history. John Lamm was a magazine photographer and his work always stood out from the other American magazines.

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    +1
    If you had to have one table book, I agree Schlegelmilch and Lehbrink.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They did one on Monaco, as well, I found it very reasonably priced at some discount place...

20. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Monaco sounds like a perfect companion book for the coffee table !

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll watch for it, IIRC I ran across it at Tuesday Morning or someplace strange like that.....Half Price Books is another place but I'm sure any of the big outfits can find it, check Amazon!

22. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thread resurrection! So where does the coffee table book situation stand these days? Anything new?

23. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    I reckon the Ferrari Calendar Images book by Gunther Raupp might make a good coffee table book. My reasoning being that non-car people seem magnetically attracted to it whenever I leave it lying around.

24. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    That's a good shout.
    Nathan