Best First Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best First Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fisherman30, Jan 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fisherman30

Fisherman30 Rookie

Jan 25, 2021
    Good to hear! I've always been very conservative with my money, and certainly won't consider taking on debt for a recreational expense like this. This ~$1500/month comes after putting money away for my kids' education fund, and money for my retirement. It's really just money that I can now afford each month after covering those other things. I'll do some extra work here and there to give myself a lump sum topup to my Ferrari fund every so often, which will accelerate the time to get the car. I also believe the time it will take me to save the money will allow me to appreciate the car that much more when I do get it. I'm hoping in the next few months, I can figure which model specifically I can get (subject to change, if a more desirable Ferrari depreciates to a point within my price range during the time I'm saving), I can hang up a poster in my garage etc. to just give myself that extra motivation.

EnzoItaly and Shark01 like this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Great approach, family first and figure out how to develop more or additional streams of income. I worked 2,000+ paid overtime hours the first time around, and did computer drafting work on the side. This time, it was 866 hours of OT, and sold 300 hours of vacation.

I didn't do the poster thing, I bought a 1:18 scale die cast model and put it on my work desk.......but by the time I had the money, the carrot (goal) changed......it's pretty common.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    In 5 yrs there will be many more carrots

Apollo 11 likes this.
  4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Surprised no one has mentioned the 348. This might be the best Ferrari I ever owned. It has the honor of winning Best of Show, beating out a Bugatti Veyron on the right, and a Ford GT on the left. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  5. Brian Hoban

Brian Hoban Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    London
    612. Bought mine 2 years ago - had to spend £15k catching up on maintenance- still below $100k, amazing to drive, modern - stonking to drive , big and comfy , and a V12!

Radu likes this.
  6. Mrwi2ard3

Mrwi2ard3 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark Carmon
    I think his wallet is going to have the final decision

7. tele013

tele013 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Malaga, Spain
    Full Name:
    jesus
    328 no doubt, you will DIY absolutely all maintenance in this car, easy and cheap.

8. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'll put in my vote for Mondial 3.2 or t. Lowest point of entry, and not bad with maintenance. That and room for 4!

paulchua likes this.
  9. Dalmatia

Dalmatia Rookie

Jun 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tony A. Lozich
    California T

10. Ferrariman1976

Sep 20, 2016
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Alexander Cuozzo
    Best first Ferrari will have very few computers and gadgets in it, made before 1988, when Enzo was still supervising/in control. My opinion is you must experience Ferrari the way Enzo intended raw power. There are quite a few below and at 100K mark. My first was a 308 Gtsi and I'm smiling as I write this, that's how fun she was to drive. Good luck!

11. RNorth

RNorth Rookie

May 11, 2010
    How tall are you? At 6-3, I won't fit comfortably (if at all) in any older, steel bodied Ferrari, and even in some of the newer all-aluminum models I won't fit in a car with the standard seats (as opposed to the carbon fiber "racing" seats). If you have the good fortune, so to speak, to be smaller, you have more choices. Good luck!

Jakuzzi and Texas Forever like this.
  12. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    Front engine V-12's are a whole different ball game from mid-engine V-8's. So I think that should be the dominant issue for you. If you want a car primarily to do shopping-center gymkhana's or hillclimbs or track days, get a mid-engine car. If you want a car primarily for high-speed comfortable travel, get a front-engine 12. I prefer the latter because it's the traditional Ferrari GT experience. If you want to spend less than $100K total, then a 575M is ok, but doesn't leave much room for maintenance. I would suggest a 456 with a manual transmission. You will pay a bit more for the stick, but not a lot more. You are getting essentially a Maranello with a small back seat, and that small back seat entitles you to a huge discount for essentially the same car as the two-seater. You will have a nice reserve left over for maintenance.
    It works the same way with 612's and 599's. The 612 sells for less because it has a small back seat, but it's essentially the same car, except it's better looking than the 599. Although you can pick up a 612 for less than $100K, you won't have much left over for a maintenance reserve. And they are far more complex than a 456. And you won't find a stick shift in either a 599 or a 612 for your kind of money.

EnzoItaly and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    My first were a preowned F12 and a preowned 488. F12 is like crack. 812 even more so. 488s are fun, especially at the track. You need one of each. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Rick Weston likes this.
  14. grg

grg Rookie

Jun 20, 2013
    austin,tx
    Full Name:
    gary gay
    A nice starter Pinafarina Ferrari with a six speed manual, V12 front engine, and 4 seats is the 456M-GT. This is a true 2+2 GT, and has been written up as possibly the best bang for the buck modern Ferrari. It sold new for ~$230k. It has a relatively bullet proof 65 degree 5.5L engine which received the “International Engine of the Year” for two consecutive years. The M (Modificata) version (‘98-‘04) was a significant update to the original 456. There were only 317 456 M’s imported to the US. About half were 3 pedal cars, the other half were 4 speed automatics. When the 456 was introduced, it was rated the fastest 4 seater in the world.

I have 7 cars in my garage and need to downsize. I will soon be selling my 2000 456M-GT with 25k miles for $85k.

Rick Weston likes this.
  15. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Just know that the 348 and 355 are fairly primitive cars but really nice looking and driving. These cars require expensive and extensive maintenance every couple of years- engine out timing belt replacement. The 360 is more modern and has beautiful lines. The timing belt maintenance does not require the engine to come out so it's less expensive but not cheap. if you get an F1 tranny in a 360 you will have to watch the clutch wear and they are expensive to replace. The spider top is also finicky and expensive to service and if you have to replace the rollover valves, as I did, the top has to come off and it is labor intensive. The 430 is a big improvement and a very powerful machine. Most have ceramic brakes which are a must IMHO. Another post suggested the 550 Maranello and said it's a real Ferrari (front engined V12) and he is right. The 612 is another option here and both can fit easily into your target price. Good luck! Definitely invest in a professional pre-purchase inspection. Know what you are buying and enjoy the journey!

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Robert Gagliano

Nov 15, 2017
    Elm Grove
    Full Name:
    Robert Gagliano
    A good entry is the 456GTA. The classic V-12 engine, automatic trans with no expensive F1 clutch to replace and the classic, sexy Berlinetta style.
    Oh there will be the usual belt and service expenses, but the motor does not have to be removed to work on it. And remember that what these cars (all Ferrari) do best is go really fast and handle well and are the best looking cars on the planet.

happy motoring, bobg., 575M

paulchua likes this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Definitely. You gotta have your finances in order to make the F-dream a F-reality IMO. Otherwise, you're stressing about a $$$$ repair, and no one wants to see a grumpy guy/gal in an F-car, especially if you opt for a convertible. :D

T

MackF1Spider likes this.
  18. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Otherwise, you're stressing about a $$$$ repair"
    IMO, after deciding max $$ for purchase, that is the potentially very shocking wild card in buying a used Ferrari. I would assume that the vast majority of potential owners are not going to do DIY repairs so now it going to be dealership or independent shop. Are either of those close to where you live, if not, it's cost of and hassle of transport and at the end, an eye watering bill. My bias is still to stretch the budget on the front end for "newer", betting on lower costs going forward.

19. reggie

reggie Rookie

Dec 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert E Guarino
    I'd go with a 1979 308 GT4 preferably with a sunroof. By this time the emissions were mostly sorted out.
    Beautiful handling and great visibility.

20. khurley

khurley Rookie

Aug 31, 2004
    Berkeley CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hurley
    I went from a 308 to a 430 spyder about 5 years ago. I thought it would be nice not to have to worry about the timing belt service. No regrets, because it's a great car. However, be aware that the clutches only last 20K miles, and replacement runs from 8K$-15K$, or even more if they replace the flywheel. I have mine in the shop for what I thought would be an oil change, and the bill is now around 20K$ for odds and ends. The power steering pump was leaking, and that's being replaced for the second time in my ownership. I'm having them do the clutch "while they're there". They found a worn gasket on the intake manifold. And on it goes...

21. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    I just did a search on AutoTrader (where I found my car) for 360's within 500 miles of me. Not very many for sale, and most are low-mileage cream puffs. That said, they vary from a low of about $77k to a high of $169k. Five of them are under $100k, and three of those are drop-tops. I find this interesting because I bought my car 18 months ago at what must have been *the perfect time* to get a 360. Although mine would be considered "high mileage" now at just over 50k miles, I apparently got a steal at $55k for a beautiful and well-maintained car. Even with the higher mileage, I think it's probably worth $10k over what I paid. Not a bad return on my dollars. But, I digress. The main point is that you can still get a 360 for under $100k - and a few are out there for well under that number. As for maintenance, it's a Ferrari. My first major that I had guestimated at $3500 cost $5800 because of all the "this is about to be a problem" issues. It will need motor mounts at the next annual service, and in a couple of years probably a clutch. You just have to know what you're getting into. That aside, the car is a blast. I have no regrets about my choice and no intention for trading it for a newer model.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. murgas1

murgas1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    I work on ferrari’s for a living. Master certified from ferrari North America through 488 and Lussos. In my opinion the 430 is one of the best cars they’ve ever built. Won 24 hours of lemans 2 years in a row with same chassis. F1 gearboxes are mechanically reliable. Just find reliable mechanic that’s the trick. I have many loyal and happy customers. My vote is a 430. But you should drive it not store it. Also California’s are excellent everyday drivers.

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Because the OP has time on his side, I’d wait until 458s start dropping below $150k. You want to buy the newest car that has fully depreciated, maybe with an extended warranty.

That’s how I brought my Maranello in 2003. I had been looking at Daytonas, but a friend clued me into Maranellos. I saw a1998 at Ferrari of Houston for $160,000. I drove Joe Maniaci crazy until he sold me the car months later for $115,000.

Of course, I would have been better off financially buying a Daytona. I also ended selling the Shark for $75,000 five years later. But, I got to put 20,000 miles on one of the best modern Ferraris ever built. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jakuzzi likes this.
  24. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I see then now below $150k, by the time he buys a 458 will be under $100k

25. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    I would say best 360 you can find for $100k. Just a note about repairs and maintenance : I have a 2001 360F1 of which I maintain and repair myself. I have driven approximately 10k miles in 4 years. I also have a Porsche 911 that just ran out of warranty. I have had many more mechanical failures and spent more on maintenance on the Porsche than the Ferrari. (even though the Porsche is 15 years newer and had a warranty) I did drive the Porsche about 30k miles in 4 years though.