Best inexpensive “leaf blower” for use drying cars ? | FerrariChat

Best inexpensive “leaf blower” for use drying cars ?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mirek, Sep 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    A cursory review revealed a myriad of options and a range of prices, some are even “car use” specific, plug-in, battery, gas, portable,mini, some have attachments, bla bla…

Any cheapest/best consensus ?

My car is not precious but it is paint corrected and ceramic coated and a simple air blower provides the easiest/best solution after I hose it down.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shorn355 and Level7 like this.
  2. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    I am in the market as well and would value the collective insights of those who can make a few recommendations.

Shorn355 likes this.
  3. cobmw

cobmw Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 22, 2006
    Rocky Mountain area
    My experience is that we have one of the most powerful, gas-engine leaf blowers that money can buy and it will not dry a car. It just moves the water around. However, we've never tried it on a car that has been ceramic coated.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  5. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why do you want to blow it down??

I use a 0ppm filter
    Rinse off with that, drive it around the block and park it
    0 water spots
    Done

cavallo_nero likes this.
  6. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Dom likes this.
  7. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    #7 Dave Bertrand, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    It's the evaporation that dries it, which is aided by the air flow. The blower is supposed to blow most of the water off the car, and the few drops that remain should be blotted up with a drying towel. Evaporation does the rest.

I'd suggest a Master Blaster, for which there are multiple sizes, which are specifically designed for blow drying a car.

If you get a regular leaf blower, make damn sure it has an air filter. The last thing you want to do is have it pick up dust and dirt from the air and blast it on your paint at 200 mph.

Here's a pro detailer reviewing a couple of them.

mcimino, docf and AD211 like this.
  8. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    I use Masterblaster. It is 8hp and most importantly, it is hot air. It does get hot and the water evaporates as you blow it. There is not a single leaf blower that is worth a sh-t, so don't waste your time. Below is a typical set up I use for a wash with foam cannon, spotless water, masterblaster, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, jc1, Mirek and 5 others like this.
  9. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    I've got the same pressure washer, love it. Need to get me a foam cannon now.

10. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    I have chemical guys foam cannon. Below are pics I posted a time back for foam cannon of a wash I did. There was no washing with the wash mitt in the pics. Just foamed and rinsed.
    Get the cannon, you will love it. Get the pistol grip power wash attachment instead of the long wand that is on the pressure washer in the pic. It is much better. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Sooprinse-Pressure-Connect-Nozzles-Connector/dp/B07KPVM5MS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=pressure+washer+gun&qid=1632504604&sr=8-1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
  12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have the 20 volt dewalt. It does a decent job. It’s especially good when you wash/dry the car in the garage. I use a corded Black & Decker for out side use but it is too much to use inside as I don’t want to blow water on the walls and things.

13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Most all gas leaf blower vent the exhaust into the blowers air. Not good for blowing water off cars!

Use only an electric blower…corded or battery. I’ve been using a Worx blower for the last 5 years that’s worked great

14. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g

15. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Car is coated ,foam sprayed,rinse then really like the Mikita Cordless 18vLXT Lithium-Ion Blower.-light powerful-rubber tip.Long charge,quick recharge.
    I have extra battery and charger to avoid down time.

16. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I was unaware of some of the things mentioned !

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You need lots of volume moving very fast to blow dry a car. Nothing with a battery can do that. The Masterblaster thing doesn't move enough air either - not even close. Filtered air is of no value as there's no filter to the air that blows on the car when driving. o_O

I use a corded 6.5 hp detachable blower from a big shop vac. I burn them up every few years and they are loud but are strong, light, and do a good job. The leaf blowers look interesting (+600 CFM) but quality may be suspect and the nozzle is too long. They are very inexpensive though so maybe cut the main tube short and just toss it when the bearing starts to act up.

18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Quaility battery leaf blower work great. The best ones, Ego, Worx, Greenworks are 700-800cfm. My Work is old and only 600cfm and blows waters off wheels, brakes the car no problem. I use it to blow leaves, mulch, rocks off the driveway and use around the pool instead of a broom.

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you were to use it today and in its current condition how what would be the run time until 50% velocity may I ask?

20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    they don't lose much if any velocity. The batteries ate lithium ion. Run time on my old Worx is around 40min, Run time on these newer more powerful models is greatly increased up to 75-85+ minutes

google them and you can see all specs.

21. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
  22. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
  23. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary

24. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Highly recommend the Master Blaster. I've had mine for approx. 3 yrs. and you get what you pay for. Also has a heater element for Winter drying .

25. ftrjz

ftrjz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 13, 2021
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    As long as the car's paint is hydrophobic enough to bead water effectively, just about any gas or electric blower would dry it. I use a 50 dollar Worx turbine 600 and it takes no more than 5 minutes on the lowest setting to dry any of my cars that have been ceramic coated. When the water beads are sufficient enough you don't need to count on evaporation to dry it, it's the airflow physically pushing the large beads of water across the body panel and off of the car. Without the proper hydrophobicity you just push water around back and forth

Ak Jim and Solid State like this.