Best kit for Coil-On-Plug (COP) conversion for 550 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Best kit for Coil-On-Plug (COP) conversion for 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Jan 23, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Exciting update and shows how important it is to have someone who stands behind their product. I can’t wait for my spot later this year! Hopefully by then everything else will be sorted on the car…

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks Timmo for your support & patience. The Chinese coils looked very attractive, they were brand new and performed flawlessly in all my tests, but in the end they just aren't suitable for our application.

And thank you Omar; I'm very old school and the stuff I put my name on HAS to work correctly or my name is worthless.

Auraraptor likes this.
  3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    And that's why I remain 100% committed and can't wait to get my set. Just got my radiator back in the car...rebuilt and pressure tested. Fingers crossed all stays cool!

Omar

4. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    John did everything right! It cannot be understated how great it was to work with him and really learn to what depths of research and history he has gone to in developing this kit and bringing it back.

The new parts didnt work out as hoped, you gotta break a few eggs here and there. It was professional, expediant and without hesitation dealing with the issues as they arose.

Along the way, I kept trying to figure out how this must have been user error (mine), but after much troubleshooting and soundboarding it was determined to replace them with the Densos. Happy to report a successful outcome.

The parts are now as good as the reputation that sold them.

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks Nick, it was a real pleasure working with you as well and I'm so pleased with the successful outcome. We shared a common goal with this issue & worked tirelessly to find the solution.

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Question for you owners & potential owners of the MSW COP system:

Do you like the cylinder numbers that we put on the harnesses, or would you prefer we leave them off for a "cleaner" look?

Timmo cut them off his harnesses and here's what they look like: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/149574599/

Aerosurfer left them on (at least for these pics): https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/149574862/

Even if we leave the cylinder numbers off, we would keep the H1 & H2 numbers on them, so if you have my installation instructions, you'll know which harness goes where.

7. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I vote off!

Bas likes this.
  8. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
  9. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Ill be taking mine off too. Its an intuitive install, no need for more than a L and R harness identifier.

10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Maybe just a temporary or removable sticker to make sure that the installer does not make a stupid mistake. Is an “I-sheet” included or is that a stupid question ?
    :)

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would do something like a useful brain tickle. 1 on the wire closest to #1 cylinder...rest is obvious

Mirek, Ferrari55whoa and Auraraptor like this.
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    cleaner look much nicer, off.

13. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    yes happy with off when its my turn on the list

14. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Looks like the "Off's" have it :) We'll continue to put the H1 & H2 labels on, but truthfully it would be touch to get the harnesses switched around, given the orientation of the connectors, etc.

Randy, I'll go ahead & cut your numbers off myself since your harnesses are here and your kit will be shipped soon.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I thought that too when I posted but..one of MSW's traits over all the products launched over the years was instructions and construction that make it near impossible to have a user cause product failure. It actually isn't a bad idea to keep the numbers with instructions on cleanly removing them for a different engine compartment look. Then users can personalize it. OTOH if it takes a razor knife to get the numbers off certainly someone will cut into the harness....scratch that idea!

16. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    I took the labels off (easily by hand) as they looked a little too basic to me. No offense meant at all as I understand that marketing anything in the US requires fool-proof instructions because of possible lawsuits caused by idiots and/or vultures seeking money without effort, but I vaguely assume that owners on here know what they are doing at this stage of modding their cars and will behave responsibly for anything they attemp.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I’m up! Woohoo can’t wait.

71veedub likes this.
  18. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I vote 'off' as well. However, my 456gt engine has a black crackle finish (like all 456s I think). Could the rubber boots (currently coloured red) be black for 456 installs?

19. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Oh, and can I order a set for my 1995 456 GT?

20. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That’s a great idea, Robert, I’ll look into it.

i’ll put you on the list and will be in touch shortly.

John

21. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ooo I would love black! But minor details vs having the kit itself.

Mirek likes this.
  22. F_driver

F_driver Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2015
    Belgium
    I will also take them with the labels off.

23. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I've been in touch with my supplier about black dust caps and they'll make them available soon. I'm assuming all the 456 guys will want them and the 550 guys will want to keep their red ones?

I'll make it a standard for 456 kits to ship with black caps and keep the red ones for the 550 kits.

Mirek and Auraraptor like this.
  24. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Makes sense to me. Looking forward to installing mine in the next week or so.

25. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Let’s hear all about it, Omar. The good, the bad, and the ugly. (just watched that classic again last night for the umpteenth time, L O L).

Auraraptor likes this.