best looking 360? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

best looking 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by LAfun2, Oct 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    If Ferraris are perfect, why do they keep getting replaced by new models? I for one think modifying cars is a good thing, even if it doesn't really improve performance, at least you have something original, it would be boring if every 360 looked the same. I draw the line at "Fast and Furious" style stickers though!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dont like the wheels.

3. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello, I am a new(returning) board member and got a real kick out of this thread. I am a regular member of some other car boards and always enjoy the "to mod or not to mod" discussions. Personally, I am of the former persuasion, but realize through 15 years of modding european cars that there is always a fine line and it is not fixed in stone but will change with circumstance and time. What I am wondering is, of the people who replied on this thread,1. what part of the country are you from? and 2. how old are you?. Don't mean to pry, just curious as I enjoy understanding the philosophy of the discussion whether it is ferraris or other cars.

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

IMHO...i think that red modified 360 looks pretty ugly

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree, but the bonnet with stupid (IMO) non-functional vents does nothing for functionally. Now I am all for modifications if it actually improves the car ... and I think most people will have trouble improving the road performance of a Ferrari, but modifying a Ferrari with the same amount of understanding of car dynamics or intelligence as one would modify a Honda Civic is a bit of a worry.

And BTW I do not mean to knock Honda's at all, great little cars, and if modified with intelligence, undoubtably fast little buggers. But this adding of, or modifying by:
    • stylised mag wheels, that are probably heavier than the original steel wheel and no more rigid.
    • lowering the car for street use ... this requires the running of way to hard springs and thus they are forgetting that the wheel only grips when it is actually on the road, and on bumpy normal roads you actually need soft springs for performance.
    • adding pathetically huge wings that have no end plates to control the air and make the wing effective, plus the wings are all way to flat to do anything in the first place.
    • changing the exhaust tip to something rediculously huge thinking that the tail muffler will somehow magically turn their standard road engine into an F1 fire breather. Especially when you can see the original 1/2" pipe infront of the muffler.
    • adding side skirts that do absolutely nothing other than further reduce ground clearance, further necessitating harder springs and thus further REDUCING normal road grip. Especially in the rain! Even BMW M3 side skirts (which were actually designed in the wind tunnel) do bugger all at sane speeds, I believe.
    • adding huge wide tyres on their light little cars, when again that is just plain inefficient, ie. the whole tyre will never be used and just increase unsprung weight ... further reducing normal road grip and handling compared to the correct sized tyre. Have you ever noticed how narrow REAL race car tyres are (okay many rules restrict the width) but unless your car is heavy of really powerful you don't need the width.
    • adding that wonderful mesh grill **** for everything ... yep makes a huge difference. Probably causes more air to go under the car and thus lift the front reducing stability at speed.

This Ferrari through adding a completely non-functional component moves the modifier into the above low understanding of car dynamics, or simply a show off type person. Ferraris should be about performance and looks and not skin deep ... IMO.

Now if there was extra oil coolers in the nose of the car and that bonnet had those air outlets to let the hot air out ... that would be completely different.

Personally I think owners of modified cars like we see bouncing around on our streets now are total tosers ... with the few exceptions of really well done and bloody fast cars. Interestingly the real fast cars are the ones that outwardly look the less modified ... like anything that is how you can spot a fake or a try hard!

Pete