Best looking 3x8 | FerrariChat

Best looking 3x8

Discussion in '308/328' started by Greenpiece, Jan 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Greenpiece

Greenpiece Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Carleton
    I remember the first 308 I ever saw. It was a red with tan '78 GTS. I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. And since then, there have been many models, colors and versions to come along. But that first generation GTS car to me is still my favorite from an aesthetic standpoint. So my question to everyone is: from purely a beauty standpoint, which year, model, color, version 3x8 model is your favorite? I'm not talking about your favorite to own or drive. Just your favorite to look at.

Mine is a 1979 red/tan 308 GTS with the original wheels. Something about the black roof, windshield frame and louvers adds a nice break in the middle of the car. The clean front without black vents in the hood (QVs) and behind the headlights looks nice too. And those smaller wheels seem to fit the proportions visually of the car to me. JMHO.

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Any blue 1974 308 GT4. IMO, one of the most underappreciated Ferraris hands down.

Then again, I'm biased....:)

JIM
    '74 308GT4 (red, but used to be blue.)

dwhite likes this.
  3. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #3 Neonzapper, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    Jeff, it's all subjective. I own the 308 you described as not liking (a latter year GTB QV with red roof, black interior and clear rear side windows, but my hood louvers are as red as the rest of the car, it is a Euro version). For me, all Ferraris are beautiful. BTW - My Euro (400 pounds lighter) version QV is the fastest production 308 of all 308's made :) Nyah Nyah

4. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #4 DavidDriver, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    Coming soon.... :D albeit :rolleyes: a '75. But can you tell the difference? ;)

'75 308GT4 (blue, used to be red - before that was blue) :p

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #5 GrigioGuy, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I like this one
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dino246gt likes this.
  6. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I remember thinking that nothing could beat a rossa/tan 308 GTS QV back in the day. I once walked by and inspected a brand new '86 328 GTS on my way into Grand Prix Motors (now Ferrari of Seattle) and to this day I recall thinking to myself that I liked the 308 better, because the 328 looked "longer". Even then, however, I decided that I wanted the 328 for the extra performance.

Now 23 years later, I actually put the 328 ahead of the 308 in looks, but only because the color-keyed bumpers have aged a little more gracefully. Both still are drop-dead gorgeous.

But like I planned way back when, I wound up with a 328 for the performance. Of course, by the time I bought one, its performance wasn't anything to brag about!!!

7. Greenpiece

Greenpiece Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Carleton

Don't get me wrong. I like all 3x8s very much. I would love to have a car like yours. I'm just talking about a subjective opinion.

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Early GTBs with 17" Speedlines (like mine!)
    :)

Greg

9. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    #9 canadiantifosi, Jan 10, 2009
    Greetings Tifosi. They all look cool, every single one of them from GT4's to GTB's and of course the Spiders. Although my preference will always be for my very first one, a red/tan 308. It doesn't hurt to have a tanned redhead onboard either.

Sorry for the hijack but I just found this pic of a young friend of ours (my bride's friend also:) and I had to post them to warm up the hearts of red-blooded Tifosi. The beauty and her equally gorgeous cousin are into digital photography decided to use my Ferrari and shop for a few glamor shots on summer afternoon.....when I wasn't around of course. These were the only shots they teasingly gave me saying that they couldn't show me the other ones:-(

My fifteen-year-old son with raging hormones will probably have trouble walking after he sees these pics posted here.

Would this lovely young redheaded lady have made my car a Testrossa (redhead?)

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Kent Dellenbusch and Nino1964 like this.
  10. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Jeff, I actually really like your question. It's a good one.

For me, the great thing about 25+ years is that people are starting to see differences in the various 308 models. When I go to car shows, I get comments from people who are only used to seeing the "Magnum" look, and now they notice my car is different. It's really fun when other 308's show up for the shows, and we are parked next to eachother, because usually each car is different from the other.

If I got another 308, I'd want an early fiberglass model.

Good thread!

11. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    My favorite is a black 3X8 GTB.

12. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #12 jimshadow, Jan 10, 2009
  13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I readily admit that I'm one of those "Ferrari's have to be RED" guys and have been since I saw my first Ferrari live, a red 1959 250GT as a kid in Germany in 1962. Later, I liked the 308s the best appearance-wise (though I did like the 512BB a lot) until the 328 came out and I've liked that one the most ever since. So a red 1989 328 is what I bought.

As noted, it's all personal opinion and, per the old saying, opinions are like A$%ho1es, everybody has one! :)

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #14 thecarreaper, Jan 10, 2009
  15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i really like her eyes, thanks for sharing.

16. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    Simple for me, 86 to 88.5- 328 GTS, rossa corso with tan interior, concave original rims (can't stand the ABS modified convex rims)..took me 22 years to get mine after many years of dreaming (87 rossa corso with tan!) ..finally got her a few days before Christmas this year !!! :)

no disrespect to 308's (my friend owns a beautiful 79) but those black bumpers ruin it for me..

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #17 Bullfighter, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    I will post the correct answer later.

But this gentleman is close:

18. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    #18 tomkatf, Jan 10, 2009
    mcimino, JazzyJay and Dino246gt like this.
  19. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #19 Glen_Lloyd, Jan 10, 2009
  20. captwillieb 328gts

captwillieb 328gts Formula 3

Nov 8, 2008
    Cool, CA
    Full Name:
    Willie B
    +1

I waited 22 years to get my '86 Red with Cream interior.... coming up on 1 year of ownership with a grin !

21. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    My vote goes to the Euro 308QV with the low front spoiler and short bumpers (GTB a slight edge over GTS ). I personally went from a 328 GTS to a Euro 308 QV GTS for the exterior and interior looks.

22. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #22 Brian Harper, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    Having a GT4 makes me a little biased, but I think the winner is an early 308GTB, and black especially with the black bumpers, black interior, 16" Ferrari wheels. If I could find one and about $20k my wife doesn't know about, I'd have one for sure.
    I like the GT4, it is a nice looking car, and one of Jim's pictures really shows my favorite line of the car - the front fender flare comes right up to the top of the hood. Makes the car look very low and sleek. I don't like the front under bumper style. Looks like the bow of a boat. Mine scrapes as is, I can't imagine having an air dam or anything poking out, but it would look better.

23. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #23 GeoMetry, Jan 10, 2009
    I own a 85 QV GTS. I would not buy a GTB but I think they look better. I also hate the rear wing and the extra vents in the front hood on a QV. I think the body colored vents in the front fender look better than black, so basically I liked them better before the styling changes that they made for the QV. I do not like the "Euro" style front valence but I do like the Euro bumpers. Definitely hate after market wheels (convert to 16" is OK) I also don't like what they had to do to the rear end to accommodate the cats. (see attached picture: I think the diaper on the lower car is ugly, the upper picture looks better to me)

Colors; Red/Black or red/tan look great. I would not buy one with a black interior because of heat issues. But Red just looks right for a Ferrari. Mine is red but to tell you the truth if I ever get it repainted I'll probably change it to Rosso Dino (Orange) and black below the body line sort of like a Boxer because when I get together with other Ferrari folks red is sort of boring.

24. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #24 PittsS2APilot, Jan 10, 2009
    At almost every car event i've attended (even Ferrari events), I get positive comments about the "unusual white" Ferrari. The red is so common now. As many of you know, when I first started looking, I wanted the "Magnum" car like every other man who thought that was the ultimate Ferrari. Having "settled" for the white GTB, I'm glad I did. I also prefer the profile of the GTB over the GTS and the early 3x8's over the later models. Having said all of that, my garage would still welcome a Red GTS with tan leather! (grin) Joe

JazzyJay and built2grind like this.
  25. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    My personal favorite is a 1986 red/tan 328 GTS with concave wheels. Don't get me wrong, all 3x8 models (all Ferraris for that matter) are GORGEOUS, I just have a soft spot for the 328. :)

-G.B.