Best northern small towns in Michigan | FerrariChat

Best northern small towns in Michigan

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Gershwin, Dec 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Need your help looking for a small town with charm and appeal. I’ve been to Charlevoix and Petosky. Going to visit again next week. What other towns are great places in proximity to good fishing and some acreage but near a charming town? Thank you for your help.

2. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Central Lake.
    Bellaire.
    Ellsworth.
    Clam River.
    Boyne City and East Jordan.
    Alpena, although not real "charming," plus
    Oscoda and perhaps Tawas City, the three of them on the "Sunrise Side" aka Lake Huron side.

white out likes this.
  3. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky

It’s interesting that your selections didn’t match any of the “best of” one finds on google. Thank you!!

alum04org likes this.
  4. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    You are certainly welcome. You did state "fishing and acreage" and these little towns offer both. And, both proximity to Great Lakes' "Big Water" fishing PLUS inland lake fishing (which is more my deal - like to be able to swim to shore if I hafta :D). Although pretty, you can have Traverse City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor Springs, and the like..... . .

5. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Why do you not care for proximity to those towns? Just not interested in the shopping/restaurants and such? Curious.

6. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    "Proximity" I have no issue with. But residing/seasonally-residing in, no thankew.

Property tax rates, city/town "politics", old money/generational money residents, neighborhood busy-bodies, municipal ordinance enforcement, summer-season explosion of residents/vacationers with the predictable + inevitable traffic jams, property values currently at an all time high.
    Have some of that right now - when I go "up north" I desire none of it.

Simply my opinion - perhaps other Michigan FChatters might care to chime in.

7. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    No kidding. Traverse City has turned into metro-Detroit north. Methinks the UP is what you are looking for...

Gershwin likes this.
  8. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thank you - that’s the kind of feedback I needed on those other towns. Much appreciated.

9. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    We went through this search 18 years ago. Divided up Michigan - west of 75 - wine and cheese, east of 75 - beer and pretzels and in the middle- maddog and velveeta. We ended buying in the center. All of the area will have high taxes, generational money and politics. As an outsider, you will be at the mercy of the locals for the taxes and politics since they vote on the millages and you will not. Traverse City is VERY busy in the summer and traffic is every bit as bad as Chicago rush hour. Petoskey is busier in the summer but nothing like Traverse City. Everything on the west side of the state south of Traverse will also be busier because of the Chicago crowd, places like South Haven, Ludington, Cadillac.

East side is much cheaper but with much less appeal like restaurants, friendliness to outsiders, etc. This would be towns like Alpena and Rogers City. Winter activities on the west are also less available. Tawas and Standish have are different in that they have more people from Detroit so it is evolving slowly. Lastly, there is the center. Mackinac City is a zoo in the summer but is the gateway to the UP. South of Mackinac City are 2 large lakes, Burt and Mullett. I have a cottage on Mullett. Much more affordable, fishing is good (Mullett is ranked as one of the top smallmouth bass lakes in the country) and Burt has good walleye fishing. Easy access via Interstate 75 and access to great lakes where we go salmon and lake trout fishing. Local towns are Indian River and Cheboygan which are in the transition to a tourist based economy but still not crowded. Winter activities are available and 40 minute drive to Petoskey. Harbor Springs which is just north of the bay from Petoskey is quite affluent with lots of old money. North of Harbor Springs are some large horse farms. East of Petoskey are multiple lakes which offer good fishing, affordable property and the ability to purchase some land. Airport is Pellston which is a regional, fly into Detroit and then Pellston.

UP is essentially like being in Canada. Long drive. Only airport is Marquette. Marquette in summer is very busy. Mosquitoes and black flies in the summer are problematic. Good friends have cottages on Lake Superior - beautiful area.

jm2, Gershwin and alum04org like this.
  10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    jm2 and Gershwin like this.
  11. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Leland and Lake Leelaunau are great, only issue is having to deal with Traverse City traffic. Other very nice areas include Glen Lake but again, pricy.

jm2 likes this.
  12. ducatiguy

ducatiguy Rookie

Aug 10, 2021
    Ohio
    Boyne City all the way. The only time of year it gets absolutely crazy is for the 4th of July (award winning) Close proximity to Charlevoix, Petosky, and everything else. Plus the added bonus of close to Boyne Mountain so you get summer and winter fun. DEFINITELY recommend.

white out and Gershwin like this.
  13. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Gave up on Wisconsin, did you?

14. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Looking at both sides of the lake my friend.

15. Sparky49

Sparky49 Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Do you ever visit the upper peninsula? There’s some great spots to visit up there

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    mikesufka and sca037 like this.
  17. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Talk fishing............. yea, Cisco Chain. Was in Watersmeet last summer, and spent a week on Lake Gogebic (W of Watersmeet just north of US-2 hwy).
    Appears you have beautiful spruce, pine, and some oaks on that property. And tremendous boating opportunities.
    Congratulations - you made a fine choice. :) Photos appreciated.

Gershwin likes this.