Best options for 812 exhaust (rear boxes)? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Best options for 812 exhaust (rear boxes)?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KarlA69, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Yeah that's what I figured. It has to be loud as hell either way I would suspect with the setup with the X-pipe and +/- sport cats. That's kind of what I was wondering--what is the major situation when one is intending it to be "quiet" as even at baseline it is pretty good of a sound--and amplified with the other mods. I would have thought most having the rear boxes would the majority of the time have it open, no?

2. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    X pipe without sport cats actually makes it quieter in my opinion. I think if you don’t have sport cats (X pipe +/- backbox) I did not find it too loud to pin valves open. Once sports cats are added I now appreciate having the valve controller. Car will always be loud but it’s more tolerable for neighbors if you keep valves closed and don’t mash on the gas.

3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Novitec has an X pipe and a Y pipe. Anyone know about the difference?

4. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I am concerned the Novitec 100 cell will be too loud. What other companies offer 200 cell?

5. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I think Kline offers 200 cell cats for the 812 SF.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Lagunae92 likes this.
  6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Just one data point from my experience - I don't think 100 vs. 200 makes much difference in the real world. I had 100 cell on my 812 SF and now have 200 cell on my GTS (no GPF). Same set up for both (Novitec rear and x pipe fitted). Both are very loud at start up and at higher revs. In theory, 200 cell is twice as dense and should be quieter... I don't think it is!

Netpark and Lagunae92 like this.
  7. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    Novitec only offer an X pipe for the various Ferrari models! They offer a Y Pipe for the Urus.

And as Karl has said, there's really very little difference between 100/200 cell. Either is a huge reduction in volume over cat replacement pipes, and a decent increase in volume over standard. Sport cats are totally liveable, provided you can put up with the initial bark!

Netpark and Lagunae92 like this.
  8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Cold starts are loud regardless. Can always keep the garage door closed! Do you recommend Novitec as the answer, or any other options that you like to pair with a Novitec back box and X pipe?

9. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    We work with pretty much every brand under the sun and we've heard most of them in the flesh!

Novitec seems to be most popular with our clients, Capristo do great stuff, Kline also do great stuff - honestly you won't go wrong with any of those guys.
    My only advice...avoid the far eastern manufactured stuff, I won't name names but the build quality just isn't up to scratch...

Gh21631 and Lagunae92 like this.
  10. RKGT

RKGT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2021
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Rogi
    Has anyone used a Ryft full Exhaust?

11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Got my Capristo X pipe on. Car is MUCH softer on normal driving and downshifts. Rather disappointing. Was hoping for at least the same volume. Haven't replaced the back boxes yet. Would that at least help restore the volume? I like the tone with the X pipe, just not how much I hear.

12. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I had the same thing. You need to change the cats also, that will give you volume. Changing back boxes wont add much volume

13. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It is shocking how much softer it is. I didn’t want to have to do cats, but….

ScuderiaCarParts likes this.
  14. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    Is your car a GTS or 2020+ model year Superfast?

If so it has the Gasoline Particulate filter which sits behind the cats as part of the same unit, because it's such a restrictive filter it doesn't really matter what you do after them...it won't make much difference. This is where cats become a necessity.

If your car is 2019 Model Year or before then you should be able to install rear boxes and X pipe and get a decent noise - especially if you're in SoCal you don't want to mess around with the cats unless you have to.

Now I need to preface what I'm about to say with the fact that this is entirely anecdotal, and I'm more than happy to be corrected if someone else understands the physics better, but from my experience the X Pipe on it's own doesn't give us the result we want at all. My working theory at the moment is that for the X Pipe to work effectively we need to reduce backpressure in the exhaust, this can either be done by changing to sport cats or installing Aftermarket rear silencers. Without this reduction in backpressure we end up with a bit of a flat and indistinct exhaust note.

The X pipe on it's own doesn't do a huge amount, the silencers on their own also only make an incremental difference - however, the two together are more than the sum of their parts and give you a far more crisp and high pitched exhaust note than standard.

-K1- likes this.
  15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I am in SoCal, and the car is an early 2020 without GPF, luckily. I’ll try rear silencers alone before I alter the cats. Too much of the drama is now gone with x pipe alone. I’d say that mod by itself made a huge difference! Only, it’s a negative one for me.

16. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    Ahhh you've got one of the unicorn non-GPF 2020 cars - that's a serious silver lining!

Have a go with the silencers and let me know how you get on - you've got my number, I'm always happy to hop on the phone and have a chat if you need :)

Dylan

-K1- likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can try the rear boxes, just keep in mind that the stock setup is pretty much a straight shot right through when the valves are open. This means that there's little to no difference between stock and aftermarket when valves are open.

If you go the sport cat route, go with the Fabspeed 200 cell setup. They use two massive cats that flow as good or better than some smaller 100 cell cats. Also, unlike using 100 cell or test pipes your car won't reek of exhaust. Those big 200 cell cats are even Euro 6 certified, so you might even be able to pass emissions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Netpark likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure any SF in the US actually got a GPF. Here in Europe yes, but not in the US. Yet to see a 2020 US SF with GPF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Appreciate it!

20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I was looking at the Fabspeed. They say no cel as well, and it’s the same HSJ cat as Brook exhausts use. I prefer the idea of 200 over the 100 that Novitec uses purely for the hope that there’s no cel.

21. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    personally I tried the cats with and without x pipe and didn’t like any of the options. Stock is great. Crack the windows and enjoy.

22. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    I had no idea! I thought it was the case globally - I'm assuming US GTS's has GPF's fitted?

Thanks for the info :)

23. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    I mentioned this somewhere else, but typically 200-cell cats will be OBDII compliant and won't cause a warning light - this is true for most manufacturers, not just Ferrari. 100-cell will always cause a CEL.

It is worth mentioning that over time the cat will become less efficient and after a few years a 200-cell cat may start throwing up CELs/

Netpark likes this.
  24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Good to know. It's not a daily driven car by ANY means, so, I can't imagine it's too much of an issue. We have to get a smog check after 6 years from new and then every 2, but that's just what you have to deal with when it's time.

25. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I think its 8 years now from new now as of 2019 but will have to confirm. I thought about changing out my cats/gpf in my GTS but I would have to get a novitec module that cancels the CEL and that will definitely not pass smog down the road. I put a capristo back box on the GTS to get more volume and it didnt make a substantial difference. Im still debating what to do next .

My SF I thought about changing out the back box and putting in an x pipe but didnt after my neighbor had the same experience as you did with the pipe. He was told by his installer that changing out the back box wont do much since stock is pretty much straight through when valves are open. The x pipe makes a higher pitched tone to my ears but is substantially quieter than stock. Interested in hearing if you notice a huge change after changing the back box with the xpipe.

RamsHmb likes this.